Finished School three weeks ago. Still no start date?

RJN

Completed UPS school in Jersey three weeks ago. Took the class very seriously, knew the material like the back of my hand, and did very well throughout the whole program. Three weeks later my center has not given me a start date. Every time I call, they keep saying they are just not ready for me. They told me probably two weeks three weeks ago ...I was hired as FT Package Delivery. Ive been patient , but im starting to become anxious. Hard to hear from other people that were in my class, who didn't take it as seriously, and stalled the truck five times during their driving test, that they are on their tenth day of work. Is this common? has this happened to any other drivers? Just hanging in there rite now, but wondering what the plan is with me. They got to give me a chance to work rite? Any advice or relatable experiences would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
I’m sorry to hear about this man. You should contact your Union Steward. When I finished Integrad, I had to wait 2 weeks as well because technically I couldn’t start before others in my class with more seniority than me. Maybe that has something to do with it. Each center is different so that’s why I’d be in touch with a Steward.

Maplewood

It's slow now. Might get slower if negotions don't start improving. Usually middle of June thru September the vacation callander is full so centers need more drivers. They can't bring you on if others are laid off. In my area you center seniority date is your first day of class (if you make 30 days) so you may get your first pay bump before you even get seniority!

Airwoman18

I went to school 2nd week in Feb. I bid on a. air intent. 6 weeks later they posted a full time sheet. I won that with my seniority. I too haven't driven yet. I work the hub. it's slow. be patient. our time to drive is soon..

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Completed UPS school in Jersey three weeks ago. Took the class very seriously, knew the material like the back of my hand, and did very well throughout the whole program. Three weeks later my center has not given me a start date. Every time I call, they keep saying they are just not ready for me. They told me probably two weeks three weeks ago ...I was hired as FT Package Delivery. Ive been patient , but im starting to become anxious. Hard to hear from other people that were in my class, who didn't take it as seriously, and stalled the truck five times during their driving test, that they are on their tenth day of work. Is this common? has this happened to any other drivers? Just hanging in there rite now, but wondering what the plan is with me. They got to give me a chance to work rite? Any advice or relatable experiences would be greatly appreciated

thanks
I’m sorry to hear about this man. You should contact your Union Steward. When I finished Integrad, I had to wait 2 weeks as well because technically I couldn’t start before others in my class with more seniority than me. Maybe that has something to do with it. Each center is different so that’s why I’d be in touch with a Steward.

I wouldn't start getting the union involved unless you see someone driving that you should be ahead of.

UPS won't start new drivers before June 1st if they don't have to.
Between volume, Saturday work, summer vacations, and an expiring contract August 1st, They will probably keep the permanent roster tight until the contract details solidify.
Don't get disheartened ! They may just be waiting to take training wheels off the drivers before you, and then train you next.

sikidiki

i graduated the class in may 2017 and drove for maybe 1 or 2 times a week for 3 weeks then i hit the 4 month drought before peak. After peak was over i thought i wouldn't be driving again for a while, but i still have at least 2 times a week, sometimes 5 full days. Just depends when they need you, it sucks but like my one buddy said, This is the worst job you will ever have until you get your own route and your top pay, then its the best job you will ever have. Its rewarding for those that stick with it, plan on being a cover driver for years depending on your centers needs, or if everyone quits and a bid route opens up that no one wants maybe you can win it. Just have to put in the time and eventually it pays off.

Heavy Package

Three weeks later my center has not given me a start date. Every time I call, they keep saying they are just not ready for me. They told me probably two weeks three weeks ago ...I was hired as FT Package Delivery.

This is a very crappy part about UPS. Get used to being lead on until you have seniority and are working FT. The problem is that you haven't gone through your 30-day "packet" and are not qualified to drive on your own yet.

My advice is to call HR and the Union to see where you will be assigned and ask to start working in the hub until your driving start date. You can meet people and once they know you they can help you with more information.

FYI since you are from the outside when you were hired....Get used to being jerked around as no one at UPS will really ever look out for you or care about you or your situation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is a very crappy part about UPS. Get used to being lead on until you have seniority and are working FT. The problem is that you haven't gone through your 30-day "packet" and are not qualified to drive on your own yet.

My advice is to call HR and the Union to see where you will be assigned and ask to start working in the hub until your driving start date. You can meet people and once they know you they can help you with more information.

FYI since you are from the outside when you were hired....Get used to being jerked around as no one at UPS will really ever look out for you or care about you or your situation.

HR will not be able to help him as they have no control over his start date.

He will not be able to start in the hub as that could displace a current and/or future hire, which would not be fair.

He simply needs to wait his turn; yeah, it sucks, but we have all been there.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
Cant start you on a qualifying route if there is one ft cover sitting at home. Just be patient your chance will come and qualifying isn't going to be easy so sort your truck during the lunch break and listen to the vets

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

thanks
Understand UPS, make plans you cannot change. UPS will call instantly.

summersaltstains

I had to wait three months after driving school. They kept telling me next week or the week after that. I wouldn't get your hopes up right now, we are still sending drivers home. Just stay on top of them, because they will forget about you. I was in my managers office after the preload every day bugging him.