Fired Because Supervisor was having a bad day

SquirrelBoggie

I'm new to Brown Cafe but I have a question, can I get fired because a certain full time supervisor was having a bad day? I was picking off low volume and a bunch of damages were on the belt, I quickly grab a tote box to retrieve all the damages but I had to turn off the belt. As I proceded to pickoff my supervisor brings me up another tote box cause the damages were out of control, as I turn the belt off again a full time supervisor comes out of nowhere and begins to berate me and yells at me to turn on the belt, I turn on the belt without talking back, as the belt keeps going a 70lbs damaging comes flying down the belt, I turn off the belt again and the Full Time Supervisor told me I was fired for insubordination

SquirrelBoggie

Did you feel that the Over 70 flying down the belt was a potential safety issue?
Yeah, it damn near pinned me to the slide, the supervisor was pissed cause it was a Friday and 20% of the building called in. In our area all except 2 of the pickoffs were there and our belt tripped out the beginning of the night. The Full Time Supervisor was the only full time sup on our shift. So when things would go wrong everybody was blowing up that supes radio

OPTION3

Thanks for the advice! I been in the Union for 13yrs never been in any trouble until now.
........AND you are Part-timer as well? Don’t listen to the BS on here about the UNION not caring about you. People LIE for all kinds of reasons. This is UPS’s way of rewarding you for 13 years of service. The Union will protect you...Remember this....The UNION starts with
“U” you get out of it what you put in.

UPSGUY72

You'll get your job back whether or not you get paid for your days off is questionable. But you should get your guarantee for then day you where sent home.

I would have let the every package that I couldn't remove from the belt with it moving go right by eventually someone would have brought it to where is was suppose to go. I would have thought after 13 yrs you would have know how to play there stupid little games.

SquirrelBoggie

You'll get your job back whether or not you get paid for your days off is questionable. But you should get your guarantee for then day you where sent home.

I would have let the every package that I couldn't remove from the belt with it moving go right by eventually someone would have brought it to where is was suppose to go. I would have thought after 13 yrs you would have know how to play there stupid little games.
Never had to bother with their games until now, usually its all kosher. You have some supervisors who want to be the tough guy but for the most part we usually always have a good supervisor and the full time ones are cool most of the time, I didnt have chance to even speak my part, the supervisor had the union steward walk me out.

UPSGUY72

Never had to bother with their games until now, usually its all kosher. You have some supervisors who want to be the tough guy but for the most part we usually always have a good supervisor and the full time ones are cool most of the time, I didnt have chance to even speak my part, the supervisor had the union steward walk me out.

I agree it was a bogus firing and you'll be back working. However you should have know to work as directed and grieve or bring up a concern later. From your original post the only safety issue was that your couldn't retrieve certain package from the belt fast enough as they where going by so you shut the belt down after your were told not to. There really isn't a safety issue as all you had to do is retrieve what you safely could from the belt ad let the rest of the packages go buy. People do it everyday when they are told not to shut the belt off.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Wow my stewards would of ripped that sup a new :censored2:.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Should have told him, you know you cant fire me for that and im not going anywhere. Youll have to call 911, cause that's the only way im going anywhere son. Punk him down reverse that schiznitt on him and see how he likes it.

T

Turdferguson

Why was an over 70 lbs package on the belt? Shouldn't that have been on an iregg cart? Even if it wasn't damaged that is a safety concern ,and justified turning off the belt

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Should have told him, you know you cant fire me for that and im not going anywhere. Youll have to call 911, cause that's the only way im going anywhere son. Punk him down reverse that schiznitt on him and see how he likes it.
Naw, it's easier to pull your ID out of your wallet, hand it to him, say "In case you need to spell my name on the back pay check since you're firing me" make sure another hourly was witness to him telling you you're fired, walk out, call your business agent. Money says if you show him you're serious, he'd pull you back in before you got 10 feet away. That's how you punk a punk.