Fired for “dishonesty”

Back end of the truck swiped another driver, I heard the noise wasn’t sure if I hit the driver or not as they pulled away like nothing happened. I tried to track them down to confirm. Went back to the block to see if they were back, called it in roughly an hour after it occurred. I was let go for not reporting it right away saying i was dishonest about what happened when I first called and said I wasn’t sure if I hit them to I must have hit them there is a scratch on there vehicle. What are the chances I will get my job back but can go inside? I don’t want to lose my job completely been with the company for 17 years but no longer want to drive. Union rep wasn’t much help so far. I don’t feel I did anything wrong. I wasn’t being dishonest, I wasn’t hiding the fact something happened I just wasn’t sure if something did and was trying to figure it out before calling.

Last edited:

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.
Depending on how short staffed they are, you will be back, 1-3 weeks, they will try to punish you with the unknown. Good Luck.

imjanedoe

banned slut
I think you will be fine. You’ll be back maybe not with backpay but I’d still file for it. Some of them are on their power trips. They fired a handful of drivers for stealing time bc they needed to cool down in between stops. Other ones got fired during a PM audit for smoking packages and even got their job back after a week. Rest your mind

I think you will be fine. You’ll be back maybe not with backpay but I’d still file for it. Some of them are on their power trips. They fired a handful of drivers for stealing time bc they needed to cool down in between stops. Other ones got fired during a PM audit for smoking packages and even got their job back after a week. Rest your mind
I’m trying, it’s nerve-racking. A lot of it is not losing the health benefits. Thank you.

nWo

I highly doubt they will bring you back and give you an inside gig. You will have to bid on a inside job. Or quit and reapply as a part timer. Or get a DUI. Or fail your DOT physical.

Box Ox

Back end of the truck swiped another driver, I heard the noise wasn’t sure if I hit the driver or not as they pulled away like nothing happened. I tried to track them down to confirm.
I was let go for not reporting it right away saying i was dishonest about what happened when I first called and said I wasn’t sure if I hit them to I must have hit them there is a scratch on there vehicle.

How’d you know there was a scratch on the other driver’s vehicle if you weren’t sure whether you’d hit them before they pulled away?

Big Babooba

Were you dishonest? No. Did you do something stupid? Yes.
Never leave the scene of an accident, even if it was questionable and contact the center immediately, report it and ask for instructions. You went looking for the other vehicle. They might have returned looking for you. You could have been charged with a hit and run if they called the police. I think that they will let you stew for a couple of weeks depending on your record.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
You really should get your job back.
Seems like you were telling the truth here.

But just like BB said you never move from a scene of an accident even if not sure.
But that is water under the bridge.

Just tell the truth. It's easier to remember.

How’d you know there was a scratch on the other driver’s vehicle if you weren’t sure whether you’d hit them before they pulled away?
When I went back to the block to see if the car had returned. I was trying to flag them down in traffic following them from the end of the residential street to a main road and get them to pull over and see. I was unable to catch up to them with the traffic on a main road so I circled back around to the residential street where it happened to see if they returned which they did. They were outside the vehicle I pulled over we spoke I did not ask why they didn’t pull over originally in case it came across the wrong way they showed the scratch, I called it in and the person called the police to get a report.

You really should get your job back.
Seems like you were telling the truth here.

But just like BB said you never move from a scene of an accident even if not sure.
But that is water under the bridge.

Just tell the truth. It's easier to remember.
I have 0 reason to lie, in hindsight I should have called right away and wait for instruction but at that point all I knew was the street, the color of the car, what the person looked like and what might have happened as I was unsure. I was just trying to get more information by hunting this person down before calling.

Hot Carl

We had a guy tail whip the truck next to him on his way out of the building a couple years ago and either didn't report it until the next week or didn't report it at all. Don't quite remember which. One way or another, they ended up finding out and he was gone for a couple weeks. His way back in was that there were 3-4 other drivers watching the whole thing who also saw the whole thing and none of them got fired.

He eventually got fired for something else that ended up sticking, but he was an idiot anyway. You'll probably be fine.

Were you dishonest? No. Did you do something stupid? Yes.
Never leave the scene of an accident, even if it was questionable and contact the center immediately, report it and ask for instructions. You went looking for the other vehicle. They might have returned looking for you. You could have been charged with a hit and run if they called the police. I think that they will let you stew for a couple of weeks depending on your record.
They did call the police after the driver and I spoke for a report. In the 17 well this October will be officially 17 not a single issue, I have to be dying to call in and use a sick day. This is my second month driving I’ve been inside up until then but no prior issues.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So, what you’re saying is you’ve no idea whether he’ll get his job back or not
SMH

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Back end of the truck swiped another driver, I heard the noise wasn’t sure if I hit the driver or not as they pulled away like nothing happened. I tried to track them down to confirm. Went back to the block to see if they were back, called it in roughly an hour after it occurred. I was let go for not reporting it right away saying i was dishonest about what happened when I first called and said I wasn’t sure if I hit them to I must have hit them there is a scratch on there vehicle. What are the chances I will get my job back but can go inside? I don’t want to lose my job completely been with the company for 17 years but no longer want to drive. Union rep wasn’t much help so far. I don’t feel I did anything wrong. I wasn’t being dishonest, I wasn’t hiding the fact something happened I just wasn’t sure if something did and was trying to figure it out before calling.

You should have come clean from the beginning
If you hit something you know it even if you try to think it didn’t happen
LP will pick the holes apart in your story

ManInBrown

I am hoping to be taken back, but placed back inside. 17 years and this is my first issue, it’s like they didn’t even take that into consideration. Thank you 🤞🏻
You’ve worked here 17 years and you don’t know they are heartless? They couldn’t care less. All the better you’re a 17 year employee. They would be rid of your vacation time and your pay rate. Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

You should have come clean from the beginning
If you hit something you know it even if you try to think it didn’t happen
LP will pick the holes apart in your story
There are no holes in my story. I have no reason to lie. I wasn’t positive if I hit the driver or not. The driver did not pull over which they could have because we were on a residential street but to be sure if I did hit or didn’t I attempted to follow them, flag them down and get an actual answer. On the main road in the traffic at that time I had not been able to keep up and flag them down safely. I circled back around to the residential block to see if they had returned. They had returned and were outside of the vehicle, I pulled over to speak to them and see if the truck did catch them. After speaking with the driver I called it in and they called to get an incident report. Not a complicated situation. Looking back should I have called, yes. It was a mistake. My first incident on the road and I wanted to be sure of what happened before calling it.