Fired for signing for customer getting starved out

outta hours

When someone tells you that they can't, won't, or choose not to sign for something. That is a refusal to sign. Sheet as refused and RTS.

TheBatman

Last week I signed for a bulk stop at the post office. I signed the employees name who normally signs. I told the center that no one came to sign after about ten minutes and that I signed. They told me ok and to keep it moving. They brought me in to the office a few days later and took me out of service. Earlier that week a supervisor had me sign for some air so it was not late. Has any at your center been fired for this at your center and did they get their job back?

why do you deserve to work for this company?

trickpony1

The same reason the pkg car supe that tells his drivers during the PCM to "....just put 10 minutes for your AM inside time....." as the drivers walk to their PCs 30 minutes late deserves to work for this company.

That's been going on since 1981 when I was in pkg car.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
That's when you tell whoever walks by "Look, someone ordered this and wants it, so either sign for it or its going to be returned to the sender"

You'll get them to sign for it then

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Last week I signed for a bulk stop at the post office. I signed the employees name who normally signs. I told the center that no one came to sign after about ten minutes and that I signed. They told me ok and to keep it moving. They brought me in to the office a few days later and took me out of service. Earlier that week a supervisor had me sign for some air so it was not late. Has any at your center been fired for this at your center and did they get their job back?

Seriously folks:

Painfull as this may seem, here is what I have instructed my drivers to do.

Walk around the building, go to front desk, ask for Post Master of the office, tell them the regular person who signs is not there and no one will sign and you need someone to come to the back and sign. So far my center is 100% on getting a signature. If this does not work sheet as NI 1 and keep moving.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Seriously folks:

Painfull as this may seem, here is what I have instructed my drivers to do.

Walk around the building, go to front desk, ask for Post Master of the office, tell them the regular person who signs is not there and no one will sign and you need someone to come to the back and sign. So far my center is 100% on getting a signature. If this does not work sheet as NI 1 and keep moving.

Hope this helps.

I like the 100% but would call before using NI 1 and would never use refused/RTS!! Last PO I delivered to had 57 piece scans including 7ish bags. I do not think having 100+ send agains in 1 day is very conducive to me staying employed and the clerk would probably put my DIAD in a very uncomfortable place if I had even 1/2 that number in RTS/Refusals.

I generally find at most places when I encounter people not wanting to put their name on the line that if I start wandering around their place of work they get testy and the, "I'm not allowed to sign" excuse goes right out the window or they find someone to sign lickety-split and I get a signature! Just standing there for 10 mins. wishing I had a Signature doesn't do it for me.

bumped

Don't ever sign for anything.

EVER

We still have a couple of drivers that DR's the post office packages as they're basic. I wouldn't, but that would have been a better option than signing for it.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I have DRd bussines stops that were wide open with no one around. I have RTSd when people get snippty and refuse to sign. But I have never signed for someone. No matter how you look at it it is a cardinal sin.DRing may be improper, but it is honest. Had an on road who was teaching me a route slip an envelope under a door because the bus was closed 12-1. He said, "DR it. By 1 we'll be too far away in our RESIs to come back. Don't sign for it. That's DISHONESTY"

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's never ok to sign for someone else. If this is the only black mark in your book you will probably get your job back at the local hearing, they just want to make sure you learn your lesson. Next time either find someone to sign no matter how long it takes or driver release it. They won't like the driver release but at least it's not dishonest.

This sounds right and I hope it is the case.
Good luck sir.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

For any new driver: please do not "refuse" unless said person is able to make that call (if they dont sign because they say they aren't allowed to then they can't make that call). I deliver and pickup from a lowes.com distribution center and it is awkward trying to rationlize why drivers sheet things the way they do. Customers call in to complaint to the shipper about "didnt want" or "no such apt" when the apt number is on the box (can see it on the still visible pal label).

I pick up 1 packages for every 10 FedEx Ground gets. It didn't start out this way. We have to make better impressions. Not to mention, refusing packages in this manner is, ironically, "dishonest".

'Lord Brown's bidding'

And about receiving instructions via the DIAD in THIS situation: in the time it takes generally to respond to your message, you could have walked around and found someone. Please put your ego aside and do so, or call the center so the matter can be handled expeditiously.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Because the person was simply trying to do their job and act in what they (mistakenly) thought was in the best interests of both the company and the customer. The persons dishonesty was tacitly condoned by his/ her management team, so if you are going to throw this person under the bus for their naive and admittedly foolish mistake then you had better throw their management team under there too.

jaker

trolling
I have DRd bussines stops that were wide open with no one around. I have RTSd when people get snippty and refuse to sign. But I have never signed for someone. No matter how you look at it it is a cardinal sin.DRing may be improper, but it is honest. Had an on road who was teaching me a route slip an envelope under a door because the bus was closed 12-1. He said, "DR it. By 1 we'll be too far away in our RESIs to come back. Don't sign for it. That's DISHONESTY"
Let me ask a question that has stuck on my mind

You say do not sign for someone else is that using their last name or yours

Say for example you go to a business and the person is unable to sign for whatever reason do you use their name or yours ( can one way be better or both are bad )

Now say you have a pkg for a friend that needs a sig , but he is not home and ask you to sign it for him do you do it

And if you do it do you use your last name or his

soberups

Let me ask a question that has stuck on my mind

You say do not sign for someone else is that using their last name or yours

Say for example you go to a business and the person is unable to sign for whatever reason do you use their name or yours ( can one way be better or both are bad )

Now say you have a pkg for a friend that needs a sig , but he is not home and ask you to sign it for him do you do it

And if you do it do you use your last name or his

If a friend asks me to sign, I would sign my name and "indirect" it to my home address.

I would only do this for a really, really good friend though.

soberups

I agree with firing the driver. That's dishonest, pure and simple. We don't need people like that.

I would like to know how this driver was trained, and what sort of dishonesty and corner- cutting his/ her management team condones or tacitly approves of before making that sort of judgement.

I have seen decent, hardworking and fundamentally honest drivers who have bent the rules because they truly thought they were doing the right thing.

yeldarb

I had a note on a door telling me there was a key under the mat and he wanted me to leave a signature required bike in his house, then put the key inside and lock the door. I did that and signed MY name. Risky? Probably. Falsifying? Not at all.