Fired for signing for customer getting starved out

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I have DRd bussines stops that were wide open with no one around. I have RTSd when people get snippty and refuse to sign. But I have never signed for someone. No matter how you look at it it is a cardinal sin.DRing may be improper, but it is honest. Had an on road who was teaching me a route slip an envelope under a door because the bus was closed 12-1. He said, "DR it. By 1 we'll be too far away in our RESIs to come back. Don't sign for it. That's DISHONESTY"
Let me ask a question that has stuck on my mind

You say do not sign for someone else is that using their last name or yours

Say for example you go to a business and the person is unable to sign for whatever reason do you use their name or yours ( can one way be better or both are bad )

Now say you have a pkg for a friend that needs a sig , but he is not home and ask you to sign it for him do you do it

And if you do it do you use your last name or his

If a friend asks me to sign, I would sign my name and "indirect" it to my home address.

I would only do this for a really, really good friend though.

OK I lied. I signed for my brother at the store my he used to manage. He was standing right there. Was it my name, his name, or was it both?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a note on a door telling me there was a key under the mat and he wanted me to leave a signature required bike in his house, then put the key inside and lock the door. I did that and signed MY name. Risky? Probably. Falsifying? Not at all.

I would have done the same and kept the note just in case.

To the OP---this is not just any business---this is the United States Post Office. There is no way in hell that you should have signed for that delivery. That being said, there is also no way in hell that you should have refused the stop---I can't imagine how many veins my center manager would have burst over one of us bringing back a PO bulk stop.

The key at any delivery stop, especially a bulk stop, is to make contact either before or as you are making the delivery. You don't wait until you are done to go find somebody. That person should be standing there ready to sign as you scan the last package.

The OP will get his job back with an expensive lesson learned.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I had a note on a door telling me there was a key under the mat and he wanted me to leave a signature required bike in his house, then put the key inside and lock the door. I did that and signed MY name. Risky? Probably. Falsifying? Not at all.
I never signed the customer's name!!!! Always my own.

Indecisi0n

I was covering a route yesterday and when i asked for the owner to sign he asks" Why do I have to sign the normal guy says my name is on file".

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Because the person was simply trying to do their job and act in what they (mistakenly) thought was in the best interests of both the company and the customer. The persons dishonesty was tacitly condoned by his/ her management team, so if you are going to throw this person under the bus for their naive and admittedly foolish mistake then you had better throw their management team under there too.

In cases like this, I always make the argument that a dishonest act infers that there something in it for the accused.
In this case, who benefited?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I would have done the same and kept the note just in case.

To the OP---this is not just any business---this is the United States Post Office. There is no way in hell that you should have signed for that delivery. That being said, there is also no way in hell that you should have refused the stop---I can't imagine how many veins my center manager would have burst over one of us bringing back a PO bulk stop.

The key at any delivery stop, especially a bulk stop, is to make contact either before or as you are making the delivery. You don't wait until you are done to go find somebody. That person should be standing there ready to sign as you scan the last package.

The OP will get his job back with an expensive lesson learned.

Why would anybody do this?
What would happen when the home owner alleges that something was missing in their home?
What if they allege that you didn't lock the door?
Who are you people trying to impress when you put your job on the line with scenarios like this?

over9five

Staff member
I would like to know how this driver was trained, and what sort of dishonesty and corner- cutting his/ her management team condones or tacitly approves of before making that sort of judgement.

I have seen decent, hardworking and fundamentally honest drivers who have bent the rules because they truly thought they were doing the right thing.
I agree with the bolded part, but signing someone else's name isn't just bending the rules. We're not talking about a child who doesn't know better. This is an adult, and any adult knows that forgery is dishonest, no matter what the management team "condones or tacitly approves of". Just because they're dishonest makes it OK for you to be dishonest???
Strongly disagree.

brownrod

I waited there for about ten minutes several employees walked by and said they could not sign. I rang the door bell again as I waited a few more minutes I saw several people walking around inside and no one would come so I signed and left. The lady who normally signs was off that day.

never sign for anyone. You are better off Driver Releasing. Or scanning the packages as nondelivery and making another attempt the following day. If any supervisor asks you to sign for a consignee you should refuse. They cannot discipline you for refusing to do something you could be terminated for.

Justaname

Last week I signed for a bulk stop at the post office. I signed the employees name who normally signs. I told the center that no one came to sign after about ten minutes and that I signed. They told me ok and to keep it moving. They brought me in to the office a few days later and took me out of service. Earlier that week a supervisor had me sign for some air so it was not late. Has any at your center been fired for this at your center and did they get their job back?
Forgery is illegal, i would not have done it. My personal code of work ethics are is it legal, is it right, and how will I feel after the fact.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Never said I was condoning dishonesty, or that the OP's actions were appropriate or justifiable. All I am saying is that termination seems arbitrary and unfair when you put their actions and intentions into context.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In cases like this, I always make the argument that a dishonest act infers that there something in it for the accused.
In this case, who benefited?

Never said I was condoning dishonesty, or that the OP's actions were appropriate or justifiable. All I am saying is that termination seems arbitrary and unfair when you put their actions and intentions into context.

The punishment certainly doesn't fit the crime, which is kind of what I was getting at in my above post.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Let me ask a question that has stuck on my mind

You say do not sign for someone else is that using their last name or yours

Say for example you go to a business and the person is unable to sign for whatever reason do you use their name or yours ( can one way be better or both are bad )

Now say you have a pkg for a friend that needs a sig , but he is not home and ask you to sign it for him do you do it

And if you do it do you use your last name or his
We had a driver that quit some years ago, she is a QVC queen that lives out in BFE and she is rarely home. If I had a pkg for her, I would call her to see if she was home. If she wasn't I would get an ok from her to sign for her pkgs. I would sign my name. We would catch up at a time when she got home and I would give her her pkgs.