Fired for smoking weed at a party

HarryWarden

So supervisors have been working like crazy in our building and I have decided to start grieving. They didn’t take to this kindly and I have had a target on my back. I’m honestly a great worker so I wasn’t worried. I’m a package loader and I consistently have the highest pph and I still follow all the safety methods. Despite this, my supervisor does not like me grieving as I suppose it messes up their production numbers, but I need the money and fair is fair

Long story short, I was at a party over the weekend and I was smoking a joint with some people. I smoke occasionally, absolutley never before work though, never have never will. Well, to my complete surprise my freaking supervisor ends up at the same party and sees me smoking the joint.

Well the following Monday at work, a supervisor pulls me aside and tells me to come to the office. The supervisor freaking lied and said they thought I was high at work and said I can either resign or pee in a cup. Again, I was not high at work, I absolutley do not smoke before work. The way these tests work though is the weed stays in your system for up to a month. It’s not like a breathalyzer where they can tell if your high at the moment, which would have exonerated me. Even a blood test isn’t accurate enough to show if you’re high at that moment

So does any one have any advice on this? Are there really no protections for me smoking a joint outside of work? I’m not driving vehicles, I’m not high at work, I know it’s not federally legal but it’s still legal in half the damn states, how is it any different from somebody drinking a beer after work?

And morals aside how you feel about weed, is there really no way to prove that this is pure retaliation and I wasn’t high at work?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So supervisors have been working like crazy in our building and I have decided to start grieving. They didn’t take to this kindly and I have had a target on my back. I’m honestly a great worker so I wasn’t worried. I’m a package loader and I consistently have the highest pph and I still follow all the safety methods. Despite this, my supervisor does not like me grieving as I suppose it messes up their production numbers, but I need the money and fair is fair

Long story short, I was at a party over the weekend and I was smoking a joint with some people. I smoke occasionally, absolutley never before work though, never have never will. Well, to my complete surprise my freaking supervisor ends up at the same party and sees me smoking the joint.

Well the following Monday at work, a supervisor pulls me aside and tells me to come to the office. The supervisor freaking lied and said they thought I was high at work and said I can either resign or pee in a cup. Again, I was not high at work, I absolutley do not smoke before work. The way these tests work though is the weed stays in your system for up to a month. It’s not like a breathalyzer where they can tell if your high at the moment, which would have exonerated me. Even a blood test isn’t accurate enough to show if you’re high at that moment

So does any one have any advice on this? Are there really no protections for me smoking a joint outside of work? I’m not driving vehicles, I’m not high at work, I know it’s not federally legal but it’s still legal in half the damn states, how is it any different from somebody drinking a beer after work?

And morals aside how you feel about weed, is there really no way to prove that this is pure retaliation and I wasn’t high at work?
Do you pay union dues or do you use that money for weed

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
I have had a target on my back and I consistently have the highest THC...
pointing-point.gif

HarryWarden

I knew I would get some snarky comments but I’m really looking for help and advice. I’m not some pot head stoner smoking all day, I spend much less money on weed then people spend on beer after work.

Box Ox

Well the following Monday at work, a supervisor pulls me aside and tells me to come to the office. The supervisor freaking lied and said they thought I was high at work and said I can either resign or pee in a cup.
The way these tests work though is the weed stays in your system for up to a month. It’s not like a breathalyzer where they can tell if your high at the moment, which would have exonerated me. Even a blood test isn’t accurate enough to show if you’re high at that moment

Did your shop steward and/or BA have a look at you too?

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.

Tell the full time boss you saw pt sup smoking weed at party too. Play their game. Never give in the the pressure. Get union steward and fight it.

HarryWarden

Did your shop steward and/or BA have a look at you too?
They said my steward wasn’t available and I could have a union employee represent me. He obviously said I looked fine but the contract doesn’t say anything about what the stewards opinion is, just “2 supervisors if available” and then the pee test

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
They said my steward wasn’t available and I could have a union employee represent me. He obviously said I looked fine but the contract doesn’t say anything about what the stewards opinion is, just “2 supervisors if available” and then the pee test
They are full of 💩. Trying to see if you crack and quit or admit to something false.

Box Ox

Did 2 supervisors say you were acting high? And did management say your steward was not available? Because that's not their call. Was your steward looked for and called? I'd think that alone could be enough of a reason to bring you back after a local level hearing or panel.

Did you admit to anything and/or resign if they offered that to you as an alternative to firing?

HarryWarden

Tell the full time boss you saw pt sup smoking weed at party too. Play their game. Never give in the the pressure. Get union steward and fight it.
That’s funny but unfortunately the rules don’t work that way. And the language in the contract is so broad, it just says it a supervisor thinks your high from observation (2 supervisors if available) you take a drug test. If you fail, you’re fired. If you refuse, you’re fired.

And weed stays in your system for a month. So someone could never smoke, go on vacation to colorado, smoke, come back home and be fired

Box Ox

That’s funny but unfortunately the rules don’t work that way. And the language in the contract is so broad, it just says it a supervisor thinks your high from observation (2 supervisors if available) you take a drug test. If you fail, you’re fired. If you refuse, you’re fired.

And weed stays in your system for a month. So someone could never smoke, go on vacation to colorado, smoke, come back home and be fired

Maybe the move was to go ahead and take the test and later point out that you didn't have a steward present for any of this even after it'd been requested. And that yes, you'd recently started filing on supervisors working. And the only place your supervisor had ever even seen you outside of work was at a party a day or two before. A tie breaking arbitrator at panel is probably not going to consider all of the above and vote with the Company to uphold your termination. Which is why I'd be surprised if it goes past a local hearing. Unless there's anything you're not mentioning.

I'd bet there's some sort of precedent for cases like this in which union reps pointed out that due process was being denied and there was an especially strong need for actual evidence against the member given the facts of the case.

HarryWarden

They are full of 💩. Trying to see if you crack and quit or admit to something false.
Maybe the move was to go ahead and take the test and later point out that you didn't have a steward present for any of this even after it'd been requested. And that yes, you'd recently started filing on supervisors working. And the only place your supervisor had ever even seen you outside of work was at a party a day or two before. A tie breaking arbitrator at panel is probably not going to consider all of the above and vote with the Company to uphold your termination. Which is why I'd be surprised if it goes past a local hearing. Unless there's anything you're not mentioning.

I'd bet there's some sort of precedent for cases like this in which union reps pointed out that due process was being denied and there was an especially strong need for actual evidence against the member given the facts of the case.
Thank you for the help I appreciate it

Non liberal

If it’s illegal, don’t do it, period! You can get the same buzz from a beer. Just have a beer and leave that :censored2: alone and you can tell your supervisor to pound sand. Unfortunately they can drug test you whenever they want. It’s just not worth it.

Whereistheunion

Piss in the cup, file a grievance and go through the motions there is language in the contract that keeps them from immediately discharging you for such a offense. You might even get a harassment grievance in somewhere.

allahuakbar

She/Her
So you took the test? Or what? They usually don’t pull you in a room tell you you’re high then say expect a drug test soon. It’s you’re on drugs test now or resign.

You like most with these threads always leave out key information because you want people to give you the answers you want to hear.

allahuakbar

She/Her
So you resigned im gonna piece together? You’re beat. You missed a golden opportunity to say “I need help I have a problem with addiction” And you’d get a free trip to rehab and keep your job.

You’re beat at this point regardless if weeds legal or not that bad of a drug. You quit. The union can’t help ya now.