Fired for stolen Uhaul

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
A driver in New England got fired for leaving his keys in his uhaul last week. No packages were stolen and the Uhaul was recovered two blocks from where it was taken. Seems like someone was just taking it for a joy ride or messing with the driver. He is a bid driver and obviously hasn't had to remember to take his keys for years since the advent of the fob so it's ridiculous they terminated him.

This was just a "failure to follow" infraction and obviously not a terminable offense so not sure why they would bother to terminate, especially this time of year when they're going to have to pay backpay.

J

jibbs

Oh my god.... I laughed so hard when I first skimmed this title on the board.... I thought... I thought a random seasonal here..... dude, I can't stop laughing long enough to eat my spaghetti here, man....

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
They canned him as an example to others.
In a month no one will have keys to leave in a truck though.

The driver should be happy just to get his job back. I wouldn't fight for back pay in this instance.
Nah, I would definitely fight for backpay. They have no grounds for termination per the contract and didn't follow progressive discipline. Also should have been a working termination while waiting for the grievance to be hashed out.

A driver in New England got fired for leaving his keys in his uhaul last week. No packages were stolen and the Uhaul was recovered two blocks from where it was taken. Seems like someone was just taking it for a joy ride or messing with the driver. He is a bid driver and obviously hasn't had to remember to take his keys for years since the advent of the fob so it's ridiculous they terminated him.

This was just a "failure to follow" infraction and obviously not a terminable offense so not sure why they would bother to terminate, especially this time of year when they're going to have to pay backpay.
We had a district manager who would like to drive around about 8 or 9 years ago and steal package cars from drivers that would leave the keys in them. Then one driver called the police and an APB was put out. Seven different cities dispatched police to find the vehicle. When it was all said and done ups had to pay a big fine and write apologies to each police department. They abruptly stopped the practice.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Just when I was about to roll on the ground and started laughing, I saw that it wasn't you who got fired.
2014-12-06-18-55-24-2005580099.jpeg

HubBub

You do things 1000's of times one way, then all of a sudden you have to do it differently. Could happen to anyone. Like driving an auto when you're used to a stick, you go to start the car and kick thin air with your left foot.

Without progressive discipline he shouldn't have much to worry about (hopefully).

UPSGUY72

This driver isn't getting his job back for a while if he does. Also this isn't just a little "failure to follow" infraction. What if the person that stole that vehicle go into a accident and someone got severely hurt or even killed. UPS would be on the hook for millions of dollars.

This driver will be made and example of. People that don't follow the rules usually don't get caught the first time so they keep doing it over and over because of it. Also the excuse that he hasn't had to take the keys with him in a while become of the new keyless system is BS.

UPSGUY72

You do things 1000's of times one way, then all of a sudden you have to do it differently. Could happen to anyone. Like driving an auto when you're used to a stick, you go to start the car and kick thin air with your left foot.

Without progressive discipline he shouldn't have much to worry about (hopefully).

Let me correct that You do things the wrong way 1000's of times and the one time you get caught you say that it's was the first time you did it. As i said above people don't usually get in trouble the first time they don't do what they are suppose to.

Also you don't have to go through corrective discipline to get fired for good.....

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Even if the vehicles and contents therein were never recovered?

HubBub

Let me correct that You do things the wrong way 1000's of times and the one time you get caught you say that it's was the first time you did it. As i said above people don't usually get in trouble the first time they don't do what they are suppose to.

Also you don't have to go through corrective discipline to get fired for good.....

Wrong? As a new driver I've never had to use keys to start a car and so I've never had to even consider taking keys with me. My fob is on my belt loop at all times. If I were put in the position where I had to use keys, I can see how it might slip my mind when I'm in a rush trying to be a productive employee and service the customer.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Wrong? As a new driver I've never had to use keys to start a car and so I've never had to even consider taking keys with me. My fob is on my belt loop at all times. If I were put in the position where I had to use keys, I can see how it might slip my mind when I'm in a rush trying to be a productive employee and service the customer.
I've driven a couple spares that had missing fobs or some issue with the ignition module that others were too lazy to write up and had to use keys. An on-car told me to separate the keys and keep one in the door and the other in the ignition. I've had another that told me to use the proper method of keeping it on your finger.

I'm not saying what the driver did was right--just that they shouldn't have jumped to firing him.