Fired Need Help :(

Morgan Desnoyers

I've been with ups for 3 years and on Nov. 1st I got fired for being slow im working with the union to get it back But their trying to convince me to quit and just take the cash. This is the story on how it went down I've been on a waiting list during my 3 years at UPS to see a doctor cause in the past when I was younger I was told I had ADHD. In high school I chose to stop taking my medication cause of a few reasons like lack in sleep,loss of appetite, and I dint feel right so I chose to stop. Cause of my lack in speed at work and my lack of attention and talking more than I should I chose to find help it was a long 3 years with supervisors on my back telling me how slow I am getting suspensions for it as well and always some one watching me in the trailers doing speed counts and always retraining me as if I dint know my job. Yes i have hurt my back at work 2 or 3 times but that's to happen in a job like this. During my last year I was starting to crack talking back to supervisors missing days cause I was tired of it all during the last month one of the supervisors evan started to threaten me to take time off hours cause I would take my washroom breaks just a little before or after the break was called and would take 10 mins to do my business and at times I may go twice in a day but I have a doctors note for that as I have a anal fissure. But they seem to not care I evan got sick this year and got a suspension for it when I had a doctors note. Now just 3-4 weeks before I got fired I got to see a doctor about my speed issues and such and he said I have adult ADHD and have to take medication again. This was made possible to a program I found at the CLSC in Quebec Canada where I get help to have some one talk to my boss about how to fix theses issues and reason with him to help him understand my issues but the supervisors would call or talk to him when he called so he could tell my doctor how im doing on the medication. So I chose to go to HR during the last week to file for harassment. At the end of the week HR came to me saying that some one is coming next week to look into it I was existed to think it will finally be all over with. I was wrong at the end of the day I was pulled into the office and told I was fired. Now it's Dec. 19 and the only deal on the table is I don't get my 2 weeks pay for unjust cause and I get my job back only untill they get more info from the doctor about my limitations but this cant work unless the doctor gets info on how I work with my current medication. So I said no to that deal union says to call back next month for a update. But so far during this time I haven't got my vacation pay nor have I gotten my employment papers to get payed by EI. I called HR about this issue they said since im fighting for my job back im still employed by UPS so I wont be getting this I have no idea how to fight this and no matter what I say or do im wrong it seems and can't move forward with my life. If it wasn't for my wife to be and my mother id be on the street in the winter with my 2 cats and my dog who needs to see a vet cause he can't walk to well.

I hope you guys can help and thx for reading sorry for my bad grammar I was hoping to go back to school next year since im top rate now. But despite my situation I'll be buying donuts for the guys at the night shift tonight or tomorrow as a x-mas gift and how much I miss my job no need to be sad just make the best of it.

Merry x-mas and happy New Year

Indecisi0n

Hopefully others can chime in but if you aren't receiving a paycheck your not an employee so I wonder if you could file for unemployment.

Morgan Desnoyers

That's what EI is in Canada I filed Nov. 1st day I got fired but they cant get the ball rolling till UPS give me my employment papers to hand to them and after I get fired by law UPS has 2 weeks to hand it over and it's Dec. 19th. I have EI looking into it but that's another 3 weeks.

wage EARNER

Going to the restroom within minutes outside of break, running your mouth all the time instead of working. Do you realize that the work still has to be done, and if you're not doing it, someone else has to pick up the slack for you? It sounds like you need to grow up and face reality. Stop being a burden to other people.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I've been with ups for 3 years and on Nov. 1st I got fired for being slow im working with the union to get it back But their trying to convince me to quit and just take the cash. This is the story on how it went down I've been on a waiting list during my 3 years at UPS to see a doctor cause in the past when I was younger I was told I had ADHD. In high school I chose to stop taking my medication cause of a few reasons like lack in sleep,loss of appetite, and I dint feel right so I chose to stop. Cause of my lack in speed at work and my lack of attention and talking more than I should I chose to find help it was a long 3 years with supervisors on my back telling me how slow I am getting suspensions for it as well and always some one watching me in the trailers doing speed counts and always retraining me as if I dint know my job. Yes i have hurt my back at work 2 or 3 times but that's to happen in a job like this. During my last year I was starting to crack talking back to supervisors missing days cause I was tired of it all during the last month one of the supervisors evan started to threaten me to take time off hours cause I would take my washroom breaks just a little before or after the break was called and would take 10 mins to do my business and at times I may go twice in a day but I have a doctors note for that as I have a anal fissure. But they seem to not care I evan got sick this year and got a suspension for it when I had a doctors note. Now just 3-4 weeks before I got fired I got to see a doctor about my speed issues and such and he said I have adult ADHD and have to take medication again. This was made possible to a program I found at the CLSC in Quebec Canada where I get help to have some one talk to my boss about how to fix theses issues and reason with him to help him understand my issues but the supervisors would call or talk to him when he called so he could tell my doctor how im doing on the medication. So I chose to go to HR during the last week to file for harassment. At the end of the week HR came to me saying that some one is coming next week to look into it I was existed to think it will finally be all over with. I was wrong at the end of the day I was pulled into the office and told I was fired. Now it's Dec. 19 and the only deal on the table is I don't get my 2 weeks pay for unjust cause and I get my job back only untill they get more info from the doctor about my limitations but this cant work unless the doctor gets info on how I work with my current medication. So I said no to that deal union says to call back next month for a update. But so far during this time I haven't got my vacation pay nor have I gotten my employment papers to get payed by EI. I called HR about this issue they said since im fighting for my job back im still employed by UPS so I wont be getting this I have no idea how to fight this and no matter what I say or do im wrong it seems and can't move forward with my life. If it wasn't for my wife to be and my mother id be on the street in the winter with my 2 cats and my dog who needs to see a vet cause he can't walk to well.

I hope you guys can help and thx for reading sorry for my bad grammar I was hoping to go back to school next year since im top rate now. But despite my situation I'll be buying donuts for the guys at the night shift tonight or tomorrow as a x-mas gift and how much I miss my job no need to be sad just make the best of it.

There's not a whole lot I can help you with, as I don't know much about Canadian labor law and the contract UPS Teamsters work under in that country. I would assume since you turned down that first offer your case would go to a grievance panel; typically, we only see back pay offered at the local level (labor manager/union business agent) if the company has absolutely no case. Full back pay is really only won at panel and that's typically only awarded by the arbitrator if the company had no just cause. It takes roughly 1-2 months to have a discharge case heard at panel in my area depending on when you get slated on the docket (how late in the month you get fired, how long you've been terminated, etc.).

I recommend you contact your local union and try to find out what's going on. HR is under the umbrella of labor relations and will not help you.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
You sound like a real POS. Going to the restroom within minutes outside of break, running your mouth all the time instead of working. Do you realize that the work still has to be done, and if you're not doing it, someone else has to pick up the slack for you? It sounds like you need to grow up and face reality. Stop being a burden to other people.

The real piece of :censored2: here is you. You don't know this guy's situation or the real nitty gritty on how he got fired. They canned him right before the holidays and he's already got some issues he's working through. If they offered him his job back, then the company really had no just cause to fire him.

wage EARNER

I've worked with plenty of people who use ADHD as an excuse for their lack of ability to perform their job. All they do is cause problems. He has stated that this has been ongoing the entire time he has worked at UPS. Some people are just not cut out to work at UPS. Do you enjoy working with these slackers? Would you want them as your driver helper?

Tell you what, you come load a trailer with me tonight. You get to load all the packages that weigh more than 40 lbs. You also get to load 3 packages to my 1. I'm going to stop working every 5 minutes to adjust the music on my phone, every 7 minutes to adjust the earbuds, and every 10 minutes to get a snack from my coat which I conveniently placed at the other end of the belt. I can't be bothered to pay attention to the jam in the slide, so you'll have to go break that every 2 minutes. And you're responsible for maintaining egress from the trailer because I've only worked here 3 years and don't understand the importance of keeping a clean work area. When break is called, you had better stay out of my way because I need to go smoke a cigarette. After break, you're own your own for about 30 minutes while I use the restroom and argue with the supervisor about how difficult my life is because I stopped taking my meds which control my behavioral problems. When I finally wander back from break(with a can of Red Bull/Monster in my hand) I'm going to drop boxes on your feet and bounce them off the ceiling into your head. I will apologize every time I do this and inform you that I'm really tired today because I skipped sleep in order to play Xbox. And I'm just not feelin' it today.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I've worked with plenty of people who use ADHD as an excuse for their lack of ability to perform their job. All they do is cause problems. He has stated that this has been ongoing the entire time he has worked at UPS. Some people are just not cut out to work at UPS. Do you enjoy working with these slackers? Would you want them as your driver helper?

Tell you what, you come load a trailer with me tonight. You get to load all the packages that weigh more than 40 lbs. You also get to load 3 packages to my 1. I'm going to stop working every 5 minutes to adjust the music on my phone, every 7 minutes to adjust the earbuds, and every 10 minutes to get a snack from my coat which I conveniently placed at the other end of the belt. I can't be bothered to pay attention to the jam in the slide, so you'll have to go break that every 2 minutes. And you're responsible for maintaining egress from the trailer because I've only worked here 3 years and don't understand the importance of keeping a clean work area. When break is called, you had better stay out of my way because I need to go smoke a cigarette. After break, you're own your own for about 30 minutes while I use the restroom and argue with the supervisor about how difficult my life is because I stopped taking my meds which control my behavioral problems. When I finally wander back from break(with a can of Red Bull/Monster in my hand) I'm going to drop boxes on your feet and bounce them off the ceiling into your head. I will apologize every time I do this and inform you that I'm really tired today because I skipped sleep in order to play Xbox. And I'm just not feelin' it today.

30-baby.jpg

wage EARNER

I do worry about my own safety. It is put in jeopardy daily by people who are oblivious to how their behavior affects others. I'm not whining about it either as PiedmontSteward suggests. I'm pointing out a very real problem of Morgan Desnoyers
is most likely not aware. The situation he describes is one I see frequently. But no one wants to confront people like him and explain that he is the problem. Everyone wants to say, 'It's not his fault, he has ADHD'. http://www.browncafe.com/community/members/morgan-desnoyers.51352/

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I do worry about my own safety. It is put in jeopardy daily by people who are oblivious to how their behavior affects others. I'm not whining about it either as PiedmontSteward suggests. I'm pointing out a very real problem of Morgan Desnoyers
is most likely not aware. The situation he describes is one I see frequently. But no one wants to confront people like him and explain that he is the problem. Everyone wants to say, 'It's not his fault, he has ADHD'.
If you are a long-time UPS'er (as you had mentioned 3 years is a short time), you would know that you cannot be forced to work in an unsafe environment. Therefore, instead of putting all of your negativity and frustration or even anger thinking about the ADHD person (which clearly you have some issues dealing with), you could in the future simply ask your sup to be moved, since you feel it is an unsafe environment working with so-and-so. That is called managing yourself and your own personal safety.

cb1969

cb1969

if you were fired on November 1st then you were fired. UPS is a cake and eat it too. I would advise you to ask HR if I am not fired then I wish to work then file for your unemployment because you are either fired or you are an employee unless they actually only suspended...If you want to work for UPS then tell your local union that you want to continue working for UPS and will not under any circumstances quit. Remember you have every right to file every time you are harassed by management..

gingerkat

The ignorance is high with you. You've really worked with people with a true diagnosis of ADHD? I doubt it. People that suffer from this REAL disability are usually not that quick to tell people they have it. It is real, so says the social security administration, and that is the HARDEST agency to prove any disability. Do you realize that people with ADHD are thought to be born with it and it also comes with a certain level of learning disorders. Here is the medical ICD-9 code 314.09 - look it up.

Yes, people with this disorder really love to piss everyone off on purpose, I'm sure it's their goal in life. I would imagine anyone suffering from any disorder/disability just wants to blend in. Would you yell at a blind man for walking too slow or a person with down syndrome for not responding? Do some research and stop lumping everyone together. I do know people with ADHD, but I don't know any of them to be real slow, but then again no disorder is a cookie cutter one.

From this entire post, you sound like you need some meds to control an undiagnosed behavioral problem. My guess is rage and get help before you kill someone. If you make some friends it might not be so bad.

Re-Raise

is most likely not aware. The situation he describes is one I see frequently. But no one wants to confront people like him and explain that he is the problem. Everyone wants to say, 'It's not his fault, he has ADHD'.

You 're damn right I ordered the "Code Red". You want me on that wall, you need me on that wall.

MassWineGuy

I don't think you have a leg to stand on. Before being fired you must have gotten a warning or two in some form. Did you inform UPS about your ADHD when you were hired? Sounds like the union isn't going to help. Good luck.

UPSGUY72

We all have issues that we deal with that effect are everyday life positive and negatively. Most people don't use the issues they have as excuse for why they do things. Get your S--t together and be a productive part of society instead of using your issues as a crutch.