Fired...

car driver

HI-I have a relative who just got fired from UPS.

I want to try to help him but I have no idea what advice to give him.

First of all, exactly what does it take to get fired?

Someone told me that they will never ever just fire you on the spot unless it's something really bad.

I've heard that it's likely that my relative received warnings - written or oral several times before actually being fired.

I understand that UPS fires people all the time and then they get rehired. Is this true? I've NEVER heard of this before.

I just want to help but don't know how or where to begin.

Should I tell my relative to call an attorney? If so, who, etc...???

ANY advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

upsgrunt

There are many more details to the story that we would need: Fired for what?, Warning letters received?, What did the termination letter say?, and so on. Your post is too vague for anyone to give advice.

dillweed

Suggest your friend contact his/her union rep. No one can help much without knowing details and probably can't even then.

If it's attendance or performance the union usually fights to get the job back. Also if it's a minor accident with a pkg car.

If it's stealing, fighting or insubordination the situation is worse, not much chance of returning. Best of luck to your friend.

car driver

Sorry about the my being vague. I don't know anything else yet. It's too early. I'll try to find out more & get back to you if there's anything new to post. Thanks for your help though! :)

car driver

Thanks very much for your help - believe it or not, your post really helped me a lot - you gave the exact details about whether or not one can get a job back - you told me what I need to know.

rod

Retired 22 years
Firing people is just a hobby for some managers. Donald Trump is better at it but both UPS and the Donald do it for the same reason--------------- entertainment value. Unless your "relative" was actually stealing, drunk on the job or was messing around with the bosses wife the chances are good he will return.

raceanoncr

Car, don't mean to be negative here, but there is absolutely NOTHING you can do for your relative to get their job back. All you can do right now is give moral support.

You can ask for all the advice you want on this forum and get, let's see, how many users are registered, thousands of different answers. You can tell your relative to register for this forum and talk to us themselves but your relative will be faced with the same number of answers or advice.

Yes, there are some serious issues to get you fired on the spot, sometimes never to return.

Other, less serious issues, require a procedure to be followed by the company and the union as partially stated here already.

AND, you will find, the locale makes a difference too. Some managers/areas take a more lenient view of matters, some take a more harsh interpretaion.

The employees attitude and, yes, past history could also come into play.

I would say, at this point, leave the bartering/arguing/speculating/decision making to the bartering/arguing/speculating/decision makers and you support your relative the best you can.

I mean no offense in this post.

Nimnim

The Nim
been ther done that , being fired really is over rated!

Getting fired is easy. The hard part is getting actually getting fired.
d582d79f.gif

Anyways, on topic, as others have mentioned have the fired person go to their local, if it's possible for the situation to be fixed it starts with them.

TheKid

You cannot be fired "on the spot" unless you have committed what UPS and the union consider a 'cardinal sin'. . . which are stealing, dishonesty, drugs, violence...otherwise they must put you on notice of termination and go through a local hearing with you and your union officails.

You cannot be fired "on the spot" unless you have committed what UPS and the union consider a 'cardinal sin'. . . which are stealing, dishonesty, drugs, violence...otherwise they must put you on notice of termination and go through a local hearing with you and your union officails.

Not 100% true kid in the central supplement we have article 17 section I. Which means whatever bu||-$h|+ they can make up.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Not 100% true kid in the central supplement we have article 17 section I. Which means whatever bu||-$h|+ they can make up.
True story
I know a guy in our center who was fired for dishonesty. Long story short they tried to say he was dishonest as he didn't make 9.5 by 2 minutes. He told the sup the night before that he wasn't sure if he was going to make 9.5. The sup watched him like a hawk at the pumps as he waited his turn to fill up. Sup the next day told center manager that he could have made it but he was "purposely and willfully taking his time" and the center manager fired him on the spot quoting "stealing time and dishonesty". What was even better is the employee scratched that day also. Needless to say, the employee got back pay and a formal letter from UPS stating in short that nothing will be placed in his file and basically it never happened.

I know so people are like "whaaaa? There's gotta be more to that". I've known this guy for pretty much the entire time we've been at ups, it went down just lime I explained it. Your best defense against things like this is know your contract book, know your rights, and stand up for yourself when you are being treated unjustly. As far as people that get fired for doing stupid stuff, the only person that can help you is yourself. Spend some time one day and look at what you do and ask yourself, " if management didn't like me would anything I do on a daily basis give them ammo". If so, you need to change it and do it the right way.

kingOFchester

HI-I have a relative who just got fired from UPS.
Sorry to hear.

First of all, exactly what does it take to get fired?
Anything from pissing off center manager to working as directed (being asked to be dishonest to make numers look good)

Someone told me that they will never ever just fire you on the spot unless it's something really bad.
They have and will fire people on the spot. Minor or "really bad" infractions. Depends on driver, building and management.

I've heard that it's likely that my relative received warnings - written or oral several times before actually being fired.
If he is a driver, then yes...he probably has received warnings.....most driver I know have gotten at least one.

I understand that UPS fires people all the time and then they get rehired. Is this true? I've NEVER heard of this before.
I have seen "working termination......well close to it....But yes, many have been terminated and then brought back after hearing.

I just want to help but don't know how or where to begin.
Should of advised your relative to not apply for a job at UPS. If he is a lifer, nothing you can do now.

Should I tell my relative to call an attorney? If so, who, etc...???
If he doesn't know who to contact, then he probably would be better off finding another job.

ANY advice would be appreciated! Thanks!