First Cell Phones, Now Texting on the Road

Channahon

You know life was bad enough when you had some clown in front of you, using the cell phone, oblivious to the speed limit. Now we have to deal with people texting while driving.

My daughter and granddaughter started to text me, and I would get a cell phone alert while driving. So I dig out my cell phone from my purse, see it was a text and ignore it until I stopped my car.

So I asked them why they wouldn't call and leave a voice mail I if I didn't answer. And the response was texting was easier for them to get me a message, they thought I neeed. Well, when I read the text, I usually call back to respond, or text a one word reply. What a waste of time in my opinion.

I just purchased a new vehicle and had my cell phone programmed via bluetooth, to answer and speak hands free. What a dream come true, I no longer have to take my eyes off the road.

Granted, I may look like a loon talking in my car, without a cell phone in my hand, but my focus is on the road, not looking for my cell phone.

I understand the need for texting and it may save a life, and that is what it should be used for, not to cost lives on the road.

Anyone else feel the same way??

chev

Nightcrawler
You know life was bad enough when you had some clown in front of you, using the cell phone, oblivious to the speed limit. Now we have to deal with people texting while driving.

My daughter and granddaughter started to text me, and I would get a cell phone alert while driving. So I dig out my cell phone from my purse, see it was a text and ignore it until I stopped my car.

So I asked them why they wouldn't call and leave a voice mail I if I didn't answer. And the response was texting was easier for them to get me a message, they thought I neeed. Well, when I read the text, I usually call back to respond, or text a one word reply. What a waste of time in my opinion.

I just purchased a new vehicle and had my cell phone programmed via bluetooth, to answer and speak hands free. What a dream come true, I no longer have to take my eyes off the road.

Granted, I may look like a loon talking in my car, without a cell phone in my hand, but my focus is on the road, not looking for my cell phone.

I understand the need for texting and it may save a life, and that is what it should be used for, not to cost lives on the road.

Anyone else feel the same way??

I agree 100%. Nothing is so important that you need to distract yourself with a silly text. It drives me nuts when someone is driving in front of me and they are swerving back and forth, slowing down and speeding up. No wonder the accident rate has climbed so high. I don't even like talking on the phone with bluetooth. I admit it is way better than holding the phone to your ear, but it is still distracting none the less. If I do use the phone while driving, I keep it brief or pull over.
That in vehicle bluetooth sounds cool though.

rod

Retired 22 years
I think that studies have been done that say hands free cell phone use isn't much safer than the other way. Another thing that is really dangerous is people that just stop anywhere when they get a call. Some of those idiots put themselves in real danger of getting rear ended.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think that studies have been done that say hands free cell phone use isn't much safer than the other way. Another thing that is really dangerous is people that just stop anywhere when they get a call. Some of those idiots put themselves in real danger of getting rear ended.

To add to what Rod was saying, I have read where talking and/or texting has been equated to driving with a .08 BAC.

dillweed

aha, but the folks who are thoughtless enough to text and drive are the same ones who feel WE should be looking out for THEM. Darned kids just never grew up.

rod

Retired 22 years
To add to what Rod was saying, I have read where talking and/or texting has been equated to driving with a .08 BAC.

Its always been more fun drinking (not while driving) than talking on a damn phone.:peaceful: My cell phone is used more as a watch than a phone:wink2: 95% of the time if I answer the phone it envolves work- so I try not to answer.

chev

Nightcrawler
I don't own a cellphone.....Honest to God!
I envy you. lol.
I can't do without it. It is a security tool to me. Since I drive all night I feel I need it in case I break down or need to make that call to get a drunk driver off the road. Oh how I love helping the police nail some maroon doing the old DUI run down I95, almost running everyone off the road.
I also use it as my watch and alarm on those nights when I have to wait for a load and doze off in the tractor. :happy-very:
Funny thing is, I use it more for those functions than as a phone.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I never text either, in fact I had that and the internet functions turned off on all five cell phones I pay for. If I want to communicate with someone, I talk to them, that is what a phone is for. Plus, its cheaper than getting charged $.20 to send a message and $.20 for receiving one on my AT&T plan. Texting seems immature to me, the only time I can see it being practical is if someone is in a meeting and can't take an important call.

BigBrownSanta

Wasn't there a big train wreck a couple months ago that ended up in a collision between a passenger train and a freight train? They determined the driver (engineer?) was texting and missed a signal. You'd think that someone would be lobbying to pass laws that limit texting while driving.

...or maybe looking for technology or software in the phone that would disable the texting feature if the phone is moving at a speed faster than say 10 mph.

rod

Retired 22 years
scratch;419315 only time I can see it being practical is if someone is in a meeting and can't take an important call.[/quote said:
Or if you are taking a test at school and need to cheat. There are texting services that will give you the answer to any question. Cha Cha is one that I know of because my daughter works part time as an "answer person" for them.