First day as a loader and want to quit

JennChoun

didnt know it was gonna be this hard and like who do i call or tell if i wanna quit but dont know who my sup is and dont have any number beside the hr number

BigBeef42

Just don't show up tomorrow....

Go find a nice restaurant job with no pay raises or benefits. If you want anything good out of life you're going to have to work damn hard for it

Sent using BrownCafe App

JennChoun

well yesterday was my first day and was thinking of just going this week for my last week and tell them im done and not go at all after this week

JennChoun

Just don't show up tomorrow....

Go find a nice restaurant job with no pay raises or benefits. If you want anything good out of life you're going to have to work damn hard for it

Sent using BrownCafe App
yesterday was my first day and didnt think it was going to be hard was gonna go just this week since theres only two days of work left of the week and then stop going at all after this week

BigBeef42

Ups is hard work, no doubt. Their is a chance u could be doing too much work. This happened to me during my 1st year.

Look around at what other loaders are doing and match their speed and scans. Ask others how many scans they have

Never do too much or go too fast... if ur supe yells at you to go faster reply "I'm doing the best I can".

I stick around for the benefits... if ur married or have kids these benefits are friggin priceless

Last edited:

JennChoun

Ups is hard work, no doubt. Their is a chance u could be doing too much work. This happened to me.

Look around at what other loaders are doing and match their speed and scans. Never do too much or go too fast... do just enough to keep ur supe off ur back.

I stick around for the benefits... if ur married or have kids these benefits are friggin priceless
im not married i just needed money to get a car and i was trying to go on my own pace but the trainer that was with me was like we gotta keep going dont stop and i was like OMG this is killing me

BigBeef42

Go at a speed that fits you. I edited my post above and added a few more things but will say once more-

During your 10min break ask other employees how many scans they have, and if you're above or below that #, then you need to increase or decrease ur # of scans. Try to seek out loaders that have a few years of seniority and see how many scans they have... and compare these to the scans other trainees have.

You want to work hard enough to earn your seniority and keep a job at ups but you don't want to do too little so they won't call you back.

Also usually if you're interested in money ups isn't the best place to work. The first few years are pretty much poverty level wages. The real reason people work here for such a long time is because of the health benefits.

But if you work in a region or hub where you can go full time within a couple years then it's a really really good money. And Worth sticking around and waiting for these jobs to open up.

At UPS you can be the best worker and they will always give you more work, hard work is never good enough. They always want to squeeze more out of you. The harder you work the more they give you... it's that simple

Sent using BrownCafe App

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Well, I'll tell you what. You won't find a lot of sympathy from the people on here. Most everyone has been there, done that. I started off as an unloader/porter. Probably the worst of both worlds. Unloaded trailers as fast I could for 3 hours straight. After all the drivers got their packages in their cars (it was a sort and load center then, before preload) and left to go deliver, I'd sweep the whole building, empty trash cans and clean commodes. After 5 hours of that, I went to my classes. Was it the hardest job I ever had? yes. Did I think cleaning commodes and sweeping floors was below me? Definitely. I stuck it out. Drove a package car after that. Went into feeders for my last 29 years. Arguably one of the best jobs this company has to offer in the hourly realm. This job isn't for everyone. No doubt. You have to get some dirt under your fingernails. It can be rewarding in many ways, however. I'd definitely give it more than 1 day. My .02. crunch.

FIDDL3

Been a loader for 4 weeks. I say it gets easier and I'm loading 5 package cars, each with 190+ packages. First week was brutal but I learned to pace my self.

Sent using BrownCafe App

JennChoun

Been a loader for 4 weeks. I say it gets easier and I'm loading 5 package cars, each with 190+ packages. First week was brutal but I learned to pace my self.

Sent using BrownCafe App
i did like 150 package an hour but they wanted me to do like around 200 or 250 an hour and i dont think im going to increase that with my own pace

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
i did like 150 package an hour but they wanted me to do like around 200 or 250 an hour and i dont think im going to increase that with my own pace
Yes you will...as you get used to it...I've been loading for 8 years, and I'm a woman. But if you want to quit, then quit...you won't be missed.