First day as cover driver

PCLoadPackage

Over 110 years in business and this is the best they can do..... pathetic!!!
I agree. That's pathetic. That's what $11/hr gets you these days, though. The loads won't get better as long as McDonalds and WalMart are paying more than UPS. Despite what some people around here say (hopefully trolling), loading a package car well is certainly more complicated than placing the right number in the right location unless it's just 100 pieces or something.

Loading 300-400 pieces per car, along with a BowFlex, a trampoline, some flat-pack bookshelves, and 30 boxes of bubble mailers from U-Line in a sensible order actually takes a bit of thought. It has to be quick, though, since we're getting buried with packages for 4 hours straight.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
That's what a 14 hour day looks like. You gonna be able to mentally handle 14 hour days? That's what everyday is going to be during peak. And if your unlucky like me. It's going to be this way all year. Expect to not see your family during the week. Never make plans during the week unless your going to call in sick. Monday through Friday ups owns you.

On the upside you'll make good money and be able to retire one day.
Until you get some seniority , UPS will also demand that you work Sat & Sundays.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Here's the real hard part of being a cover driver; you may not be on the same route everyday. They many times take sections off of one or more PCs to give to you. They could be near where you need to be or miles away. Knew of one cover driver who did Cambridge, Ma in the am & Weston Mass in the pm. (4 towns over )

BucsGuy

Here's the real hard part of being a cover driver; you may not be on the same route everyday. They many times take sections off of one or more PCs to give to you. They could be near where you need to be or miles away. Knew of one cover driver who did Cambridge, Ma in the am & Weston Mass in the pm. (4 towns over )
Wow.. sounds like a long day. I’m going to have trouble learning all these new routes that’s for sure

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Not a problem for me. Like I said I’ll work whatever they want me to work. Only thing in worried about is qualifying
Then pack a cooler full of energy drinks, keeping one empty bottle around for emergencies. Because you will need to be going at 200% everyday.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
400 more pieces than the average assignment today, highest piece count in the local center, 5th highest in the entire building including mashers.
Some other preloader took over for my last two cars, should have snapped a picture, complete disaster, pieces left out for a shuttle.
Worst way to lose OT... They are tripping over 10 dollars to save a penny.

Even worse still, The driver for one of those last two vehicles is in probation still.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
At least you could open your back door. I've had some loads that were packed so tight it was impossible to open, sometimes it also goes for the bulkhead door.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Until you get some seniority , UPS will also demand that you work Sat & Sundays.
I've got 15 years in. That picture is my route. I'm on the 9.5. I get over 5 grand a year in 9.5 violation checks. My last 2 checks totaled 4500 bucks. I work at what I've been told by upper management is the worst building in the country. Yay me.

BucsGuy

I've got 15 years in. That picture is my route. I'm on the 9.5. I get over 5 grand a year in 9.5 violation checks. My last 2 checks totaled 4500 bucks. I work at what I've been told by upper management is the worst building in the country. Yay me.
I don’t know what any of that means haha

WTFm8

Over 110 years in business and this is the best they can do..... pathetic!!!

They’d rather cut time, have late air, and make ‘low-paid’ preload rush to get done... making drivers waste 30-120 minutes a day digging and backtracking therefore making OT