First day as cover driver

35years

Gravy route
the main thing will be learning your evening housecalls and pickups and knowing them cold. Especially if you have housecall sections at the end of your route (UPS will be adding sections day by day).

I have been at UPS over 35 years and have never heard of a "housecall"
Do you work for UPS?
Are you in management, or do you have a clue what driving is like?

ColdHarvest

I finished driver school last week. And I am starting tomorrow. Sup called me and said “well be on the road for a few hours, and we’ll get you working more with the diad” this is my first day working for UPS. If you don’t include training. What should I expect? Thankful for any tips and or advice!

Everything you do is going to be wrong. Period. You will friend everything up.

Deal with that, learn from it, don't take it personal.

Jaysus.... it's UPS. The one good thing I got out of the Corps was never taking anything personal. 3 months of basic will do that to you.

I have fellow TCD'ers who come back late, literally shaking. Dude. Take your hour, drive safe.

It's not rocket science.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I have been at UPS over 35 years and have never heard of a "housecall"
Do you work for UPS?
Are you in management, or do you have a clue what driving is like?
That's what I have always heard. Or "resis" Yes I was a FT air driver for a few years, FT driver only for maybe 4 months then bid back 22.3. 17 yrs total

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Not many other places that pay what UPS pays, without an education. Plus the benefits man.
The amount of time you have to dedicate to being here vs. What you get in return. Not worth it anymore. Problem is by the time you figure it out you will have kids/wife/mortgage/car payments.

If you couldn't tell I'm on the verge of quitting after 15 years. I'm trying to get in at one of the places I deliver too. I'm going to interview for their next opening.

I realize I will be taking a pay cut initially. But what you get in return for the amount of time you put in is better than ups. It's also another union job.

BucsGuy

The amount of time you have to dedicate to being here vs. What you get in return. Not worth it anymore. Problem is by the time you figure it out you will have kids/wife/mortgage/car payments.

If you couldn't tell I'm on the verge of quitting after 15 years. I'm trying to get in at one of the places I deliver too. I'm going to interview for their next opening.

I realize I will be taking a pay cut initially. But what you get in return for the amount of time you put in is better than ups. It's also another union job.
My ole lady wants a house and kids. UPS will pay for that

sandwich

The resident gearhead
My ole lady wants a house and kids. UPS will pay for that
And you will never be there to enjoy it. Ups will not pay for that. You will. By living in the package car. You will be delivering people's junk while you see families eating dinner. This job sucks and the hours are borderline inhumane. I see you've made up your mind. All i can say is good luck to you.

BucsGuy

And you will never be there to enjoy it. Ups will not pay for that. You will. By living in the package car. You will be delivering people's junk while you see families eating dinner. This job sucks and the hours are borderline inhumane. I see you've made up your mind. All i can say is good luck to you.
Well if you can think of another career path that will pay close to the same without a degree let me know. I’m listening

sandwich

The resident gearhead
20180925_085208.jpg

Well if you can think of another career path that will pay close to the same without a degree let me know. I’m listening
I'm applying at a city job as a maintenance worker. Starts at 28 tops at 43 in 5 years. Full benefits. Vacation. Pension plus 401k. Little overtime. No college degree.

I have a chance to become a union iron worker. All the same fringe benefits. Around the same pay.