First Day Driving Tues

nystripe96

So my first day is Tuesday & I don't know the area at all. My hub that I work in is in Maspeth Queens but the center is Brooklyn & I drove around today to see if that would help a bit. Just want to know if pretty much every driver goes through the same types of feeling when they first start not knowing the area they're working in. I'm pretty nervous because I don't know the streets of Brooklyn well at all

So my first day is Tuesday & I don't know the area at all. My hub that I work in is in Maspeth Queens but the center is Brooklyn & I drove around today to see if that would help a bit. Just want to know if pretty much every driver goes through the same types of feeling when they first start not knowing the area they're working in. I'm pretty nervous because I don't know the streets of Brooklyn well at all
good luck young buck!..work hard but dont go soo fast that u get into an accident or injury!

Cementups

Box Monkey
I don't recall my first day but I don;t remember being overly anxious. I'm a pretty laid back guy so I just went with the flow.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My first route was in a town I had never been to before. The first week or two was kind of rough but then something just clicked and all was good. Technically they can't change your route or u automatically make book. So u should be doin the same stuff everyday.

My first route was in a town I had never been to before. The first week or two was kind of rough but then something just clicked and all was good. Technically they can't change your route or u automatically make book. So u should be doin the same stuff everyday.
We work for the devil..............they can and will...................do what they want!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The third route that I bid on was a country route, I went out the weekend before I started it with a map and learned where the major roads, street number breaks, and the pickups were. I have bid on four routes over the years, I picked them up pretty quick the first week. You will go to a lot of the same addresses everyday. You just need to learn to not waste too much time with customers or looking for stuff in back of the package car. At a business, I would ask who will sign for stuff or write checks for CODs, don't waste a lot of time with those "not my job" type of people. Be safe and don't hit anything with the package car is important too.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Used to live in Brooklyn. There are some ok places and some really bad places. Whatever you do, don't get into an arguement with anyone. Mind your business and don't stay too long out of your truck. Brownsville, Flatbush, and some part of East New York are really bad and gang infested. One more thing, don't go into any building, just ring the doorbell and say "UPS, come downstairs for your package(s)". Congrats and goodluck; I hope to be in your position soon.

Ouch

Watch how many methods are broken by the supervisor training you. It got almost comical watching how the supervisor was working trying to stay caught up. Just dont pick up there bad habbits cause it will get you fired where they can do what they want. Take your time dont get up in the catch up game. Be safe good luck.

A

anonymous6

that's what I did. sunday before drove all around the route. helped a lot. just use your training and methods, use safe work practices and you'll be OK. don't rush. youll make mistakes and it will take longer.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
good luck Kid....good thing about most of Brooklyn is it's a lot like the city....it's mostly laid out like a grid. You'll figure it out quick.

brostalss

Work smart so you don't have to work hard. But you still have to give a good effort. Take it one section at a time. Small victories. One shelf at a time. Be smooth and calm.