First day of work today as a pt unloader/loader!

hehe xd

I don't know how much i'm getting paid hourly, but at least I get that 30 minute orientation pay. Hopefully I can use my iphone 8 during work cuz i love music ^-^

Box Ox

hacker-baby.jpg

10.25 for orientation or videos before you go into unload. 11.25 or 11.50 there. Union dues can be 500 or 1000. Login to upsers when you get your pay stub if you don't have your employee ID# yet.

Write down your hours and check your time card every week. UPS likes doing here and there discipline things you may think are minor, but later they'll use them against you. Some supervisors have been known to trim the clock. Also if they accidentally key you as no-call/no-show, it'll look bad on attendance when in reality they said they didn't need you that morning.

But if you're not a total loser, pay the initiation fees out of your checks (claim 1 if money is tight unless it's a 2nd job). Show up to work. Learn as much as you can. You can show off in your first 30 so they don't DQ (disqualify) you.

Familiarize yourself with your union steward, the PT sups and the FT above them. Learn your 5 safety keys and your 8 lifting and lowering verbatim, and KETR/DOK safety.

Don't pull down walls of boxes on anything but rollers. Use 3 points of contact climbing the ladder. Don't block the top with boxes. Take labels off bags. Send them plastic side down they go easier. And don't bother with the zipper. If it's part open stick your finger in and pull it apart.

Don't kill your scanner. The better you are at keeping your rollers full, with labels facing up or to their dominant side. Never send buckets down rollers. Carry them to a slide and acknowledge a person who is receiving it. Never be afraid to ask a sup if something is too clunky for the belts, like unboxed farm equipment with no center of gravity.

Never turn your back on an unsafe wall, or a wall that's being worked on. Before you bang on the door to let the driver know it's time to pull out, make sure the chain is secured.

Never unsecure a belt unless you have secured it. Only the person who has secured the belt can reset it. This process is stop / secure / test / clear / restart. You can or will get fired. Never walk on conveyor rollers, chutes, or slides. The only time you should ever be on a secure belt is to clear a jam, move a diverter, or walk the belt.

Don't try to be superman. Hydrate. Stretch. Wake up and go to bed at the same hour on weekends until your internal sleep resets.

If you notice a package is leaking, clear the area and notify a supervisor. There are people trained to do this. Don't break things. Use a load stand. Don't use roller stands above size small and medium for your first two sets. You'll kill somebody.

Don't send cylinders or rugs down belts. Set all that aside and focus on your packages. A load stand fits under rollers. Limit your back and forth in the trailer. You should rarely have to walk to the front - likely unloading a bunch of bags or irregulars when the cardboard is done.

Call out your 70s. If it's a fridge, walk it, offer support as it slowly moves. Lift your leg and use your knee to help lift and toss stuff around. As you begin to get in better shape, switch dominant hands and arms and legs.

Apply over 70 tape to boxes. Remove if it's not over 70. You can hurt yourself just as badly moving fast preparing for a huge lift and pulling up 5lbs. If you scan, get it on the label as best as you can, or on the side with the label. If it's a long flat box, you can nail it dead center.

Here's the 5 safety keys and 8 keys to lifting and lowering. You'll be provided with them as you practice a proper lift/lower in safety training. The sooner you get done, the smarter and safer you'll be, and you can sleep 20 more minutes.

Good luck.

Learn these as soon as you can:

5 Keys to Prevent Slips/Falls

1. Walk at a brisk pace--don't run.

2. Establish firm footing and maintain your balance.

3. Do not walk on coveyor rollers, chutes or slides.

4. Look before stepping.

5. Make adjustments for changing conditions.

8 Keys to Lifting and Lowering

1. Get close to the object--work within your Power Zone.

2. Position your feet shoulder width apart, one slightly ahead of the other.

3. Bend at the knees--keep the natural curve of your back.

4. Test the object for weight and shifting contents.

5. Get a firm grip and grasp opposite corners.

6. Lift with a smooth steady motion--don't jerk.

7. Move your feet. Step or pivot--don't twist.

8. Use existing equipment or facilities to assist in the lift or lower.