First day of work..

sosteezy_

Hey what's up everyone, So I was on the waiting list for the package handler part time job at the Cerritos location UPS for a few weeks now and just yesterday (friday 09/21/12) I received a call if I was still interested in the job still, so of course I said yes, but I was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers or just some things I should be aware and things I should do/not do on my first day of work. I start this Monday, I got the night shift. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks everyone. :happy-very:

ocnewguy

The first week is all classroom so just sit back and enjoy the a/c while its there. Once the real work week starts, my best advice is don't get discouraged because unless you are superhuman you are going to want to quit. Work at your own pace as you learn how to work more efficient and smarter, ignore sups screaming work faster. I haven't been here too long but that's my 2 cents.

jeffpatterson

When you say night shift do you mean the 4am shift? or the evening pm shift?

I have no idea what classroom training the first replier is speaking of. On my first day I was working on a 4 car set.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
When I started I watched a one hour safety video and then was sent to load. Since then they started doing a corner stone class that was a week long. Unfortunately due to high turn over they haven't done that class in a while. The pt sup that used to teach it just looks through all the PC's for misloads all night.

Don't get discouraged. This job sucks and you will suck at it at first. Don't expect to be able to keep up. Also, DONT LISTEN TO PT SUPS! They know noting!

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Hey what's up everyone, So I was on the waiting list for the package handler part time job at the Cerritos location UPS for a few weeks now and just yesterday (friday 09/21/12) I received a call if I was still interested in the job still, so of course I said yes, but I was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers or just some things I should be aware and things I should do/not do on my first day of work. I start this Monday, I got the night shift. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks everyone. :happy-very:

If you live in RTW state, sign a union card.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed

If you live in RTW state, sign a union card once your one year wait for benifits is up. Otherwise you are paying the union for nothing.

Fixed that for you.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
a week of classroom time? Not that I've ever heard of. If you're working the local sort shift (which is what it sounds like), you SHOULD have an easier time of it than working on the preload. When I started, I was unloading trucks and then pulling them out of the building as we emptied them. Unload quickly, but don't RUSH, remember...you get paid by the hour.

barnyard

KTM rider
The best advice I can give you: learn how to google search forums to find the hundreds and hundreds of others that have asked for the exact same advice.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
just pay attention and don't break any of the safety rules

LMAO!!

UPS doesn't give a damn if you break the safety rules, just don't get caught, or hurt.

How many times I used to jump over the air belt while it was running, and many other things, you only get in trouble if the right Sup sees you

Con1989

Congratz, I just started at the Cerritos hub a few weeks ago too. First week is pretty ez, it's class work and then they take you in trailers to practice a bit. Be sure to memorize the 8 keys to lifting and lowering packages, they'll give you a sheet to study, so be sure to study everything on it. Good luck!

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
If you live in RTW state, sign a union card if you plan on making UPS your career. If it is just a job put your pen back in your pocket.

No no Dave. PT loader with under a year of service in a RTW state has NO reason to join the union. Nay nay not one I say.

Now once he gets bennies or goes FT then he sshould pay up.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The job is incredibly easy. The difficult part can be finding a clean, sanitary restroom if you need one.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
LMAO!!

UPS doesn't give a damn if you break the safety rules, just don't get caught, or hurt.

How many times I used to jump over the air belt while it was running, and many other things, you only get in trouble if the right Sup sees you
Often we see hourlies and esp. supervisors climbing mountains of packages to get to a chute, a jam, or whatever it is - for hourlies at tops of belts, loader/preload for example - to retrieve their own packages. it's nearly humorous until you think about the aspect if any package slips, like a rock underfoot, they're falling 6-8 feet down.

In 2005, I was a preloader at the top of a belt-car setup. There would be packages falling off the belt and huge jams quite often. At one point the DM came over and pointed at two packages on the floor and said "what are THESE doing here? pick them up and put them on belt"...that was a little insulting , obviously, when the system UPS designed put them there and I had recently finished cleaning the floor and spending 15 minutes doing so.

Such is the culture..

sosteezy_

Congratz, I just started at the Cerritos hub a few weeks ago too. First week is pretty ez, it's class work and then they take you in trailers to practice a bit. Be sure to memorize the 8 keys to lifting and lowering packages, they'll give you a sheet to study, so be sure to study everything on it. Good luck!

Oh really nice. Will they pay you for the first week your there?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No no Dave. PT loader with under a year of service in a RTW state has NO reason to join the union. Nay nay not one I say.

Now once he gets bennies or goes FT then he sshould pay up.

I disagree---if he is planning on making this his career he needs to start paying dues from day one. This would be the right thing to do whether he receives benefits or not. If this is just a job he should forget about the union.