First grievance

AndUPSER

Okay, so my building was having a Sunday sort today. I signed the intent sheet, which said part time employees on the preload, day, twilight and night sorts....

So I recently switched to preload from twilight for educational and family reasons. I submitted my intent in January and had to wait until June to switch. The twilight manager kept me until I got the union involved and finally let me go to preload. During this time, two employees switched to preload with lower seniority. The twilight manager was pretty mad at me at the time when I switched.

Anyway, back to today. Showed up at 11:45 for the 12:00 start time. FT sup told me where to report and thanked me for coming in. Then the manager saw me and told me to go home, no preloaders are allowed. I was like, uh what?

Instead of going home I went straight to the union hall, 5 minutes away, and talked to the BA and got some grievance forms. I am going back tomorrow to turn them in.

Anyway, my question is can they deny me working extra just because I'm on preload? The BA said it was a bunch of bull and they try to pull this a lot. Also, employees with less seniority was working. Should this be a pretty easy case to win?

Okay, so my building was having a Sunday sort today. I signed the intent sheet, which said part time employees on the preload, day, twilight and night sorts....

So I recently switched to preload from twilight for educational and family reasons. I submitted my intent in January and had to wait until June to switch. The twilight manager kept me until I got the union involved and finally let me go to preload. During this time, two employees switched to preload with lower seniority. The twilight manager was pretty mad at me at the time when I switched.

Anyway, back to today. Showed up at 11:45 for the 12:00 start time. FT sup told me where to report and thanked me for coming in. Then the manager saw me and told me to go home, no preloaders are allowed. I was like, uh what?

Instead of going home I went straight to the union hall, 5 minutes away, and talked to the BA and got some grievance forms. I am going back tomorrow to turn them in.

Anyway, my question is can they deny me working extra just because I'm on preload? The BA said it was a bunch of bull and they try to pull this a lot. Also, employees with less seniority was working. Should this be a pretty easy case to win?
Should go by seniority,but what do I know!

Good luck to you.

File early and often!

AndUPSER

Talk to your union steward first.
If you do not get a good answer,call the union hall!

UPS loves to play games,with this stuff!

I already went down to the union hall and talked to the BA for a minute. He said they are trying to pull the "nobody from preload is allowed to work" on other sorts or on Sunday's. Any PTers have this happening in their buildings?

AndUPSER

Did any preloaders work that sort...or were they all from twilight?

There was only a couple of people there and they were day, twilight and night employees. I'm in a secluded area on preload, loading trailers, so I really don't know many people on preload yet.

Still, the intent sheet said all part time employees on preload, day, twilight and night...

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
There was only a couple of people there and they were day, twilight and night employees. I'm in a secluded area on preload, loading trailers, so I really don't know many people on preload yet.

Still, the intent sheet said all part time employees on preload, day, twilight and night...
not sure....whenever my building runs an extra Saturday sort...it's preloaders only by seniority....no twilight.

PT Car Washer

Years ago preloaders could not work in the hub until all hub employees were exhausted. Working out of classification. That has since changed to using a building seniority list for extra work.

AndUPSER

Years ago preloaders could not work in the hub until all hub employees were exhausted. Working out of classification. That has since changed to using a building seniority list for extra work.

I've heard the same you have posted. I have had no problem double shifting in the hub on Monday's.

AndUPSER

Yes. My local has union meetings during the summer.
...but, as a rule, he normally wouldn't be there, right?

Our local normally suspends the meetings during the summer months.

Resident know-it-all.

Yes, normally he wouldn't be there on a Sunday.

Usually my local "went dark" during the summer months but they decided to have a meeting once a month on a Sunday during the Summer.

Why are you asking us your business agent practically said its a slam dunk. Grieve it and get paid. Next time you pass that manager give him a big smile and say what up guy.