First Month Experience working as a loader

Blkgiraffe

Welp, I just recently completed my first month of working at UPS working as a loader and it's A been pretty decent experience and I've lost weight [Lost twenty pounds] and I was only like 215 when I started lol. Of course it will get worse considering My boss said we currently handle about 10,000 boxes a day , but we'll be dealing with like 30,000 after Thanksgiving.

I :censored2:ed my hand up during like my 3rd week when I put my hand on the belt and I'm sure anyone who has worked as a loader know what I'm talking about lol

The left side that kinda went in was swollen and hurt like hell, but it's all good now. Also I've been having pain in my left wrist when pressure is applied. Should I just get a wrist bandage wrap thingy and that should work?? It's been feeling like this for about 2 week now.

I'm still getting use to the language and trying to understand what everything means. I work on the blue line [I'm guess this means the same thing everywhere?] which is the busiest line and I work in the last trailer on the line with a partner.

What should I expect after Christmas if I get hired on??? The same thing, worst??

J

jibbs

Don't let the belt eat your hand. That's bad news. At least you didn't have gloves on when it happened, though.

lol @ "only 215"

With an injury lasting multiple weeks, you should probably get it looked at by a doctor. Then again, if you're sure it's not broken, ice that :censored2: when you can and gobble down ibuprophen like skittles. What doesn't kill you...

You'll learn at UPS that everyone's under the impression that they work on the busiest belt/line. That's because we all get our asses kicked on a daily basis, and we all think everybody else is on an easier pull than us because, hey, the grass is always greener on the other side, right? :censored2: no. This is Brown. EVERYTHING'S brown.

After Christmas it's the same thing, pretty much-- same job, less volume spread out among even fewer employees which ends up meaning more work per employee even though less work overall is being pushed through the building, with much less time to load your trucks.

Be that as it may, it's still easier than peak.

oldngray

nowhere special
IMG_3603.jpg

Blkgiraffe

Don't let the belt eat your hand. That's bad news. At least you didn't have gloves on when it happened, though.

lol @ "only 215"

With an injury lasting multiple weeks, you should probably get it looked at by a doctor. Then again, if you're sure it's not broken, ice that :censored2: when you can and gobble down ibuprophen like skittles. What doesn't kill you...

We'll mind you, I'm like 6'5. So I was already pretty damn skinny. The last thing I need is to lose more weight lol

And I don't think it's broke because I can move it around freely, Maybe sprained though and I'm not even sure I got it from working at UPS.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
lol @ "only 215"

You'll learn at UPS that everyone's under the impression that they work on the busiest belt/line. That's because we all get our asses kicked on a daily basis, and we all think everybody else is on an easier pull than us because, hey, the grass is always greener on the other side, right? :censored2: no. This is Brown. EVERYTHING'S brown.

Omg...it's so friggin true....everyone thinks their job is the hardest. All I know is when everyone
on the beltline can pull their bulk and keep up with the flow...it makes my day easier. I have my own work...no I don't want to go help this guy or that one. No one helps me and I don't want help.

Blkgiraffe

Did you report the hand injury to your sup when it happened? Either way...I'd get it looked at.

My hand is fine now and yes I told my sup when it happened. It wasn't that bad, just red and swollen.

It's my wrist that is :censored2:ing with me. It only hurts when I apply pressure to it. Like if I'm leaning on it.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
My hand is fine now and yes I told my sup when it happened. It wasn't that bad, just red and swollen.

It's my wrist that is :censored2:ing with me. It only hurts when I apply pressure to it. Like if I'm leaning on it.
If you reported the injury and want to go to the doctor to get it looked at....Comp will pay for it.

Blkgiraffe

Omg...it's so friggin true....everyone thinks their job is the hardest. All I know is when everyone
on the beltline can pull their bulk and keep up with the flow...it makes my day easier. I have my own work...no I don't want to go help this guy or that one. No one helps me and I don't want help.
Well I said it was the busiest because my boss told me it's the busiest line and we're the last to leave. I'm not sure if it's true or not. Just saying what I was told.

J

jibbs

If it's affordable, best bet would be to have a doc fix you up, man. Sounds like a sprain to me like you said, though.

If you have to do it yourself, the most important things to remember are to rest, compress and immobilize most of your lower/forearm. Pretty much every part of arm/hand that connects to the injury and causes pain when used/exercised, you're going to want to wrap up and not use-- a splint would work well to keep you from inadvertently straining it while resting. Icing the injury will help numb the localized pain, but overdoing it can actually slow down the healing process.

Well I said it was the busiest because my boss told me it's the busiest line and we're the last to leave. I'm not sure if it's true or not. Just saying what I was told.

I wasn't trying to talk :censored2:, it's just how it is. I mean, your boss could've been telling the truth. I just know that this is a demanding, thankless job and most people end up feeling like they're the only one getting friend'd in the A on a daily basis. I think they call it jaded? idk. It is what it is, though, no disrespect intended to the work you put in when you're on the clock.

Blkgiraffe

If it's affordable, best bet would be to have a doc fix you up, man. Sounds like a sprain to me like you said, though.

If you have to do it yourself, the most important things to remember are to rest, compress and immobilize most of your lower/forearm. Pretty much every part of arm/hand that connects to the injury and causes pain when used/exercised, you're going to want to wrap up and not use-- a splint would work well to keep you from inadvertently straining it while resting. Icing the injury will help numb the localized pain, but overdoing it can actually slow down the healing process.

I wasn't trying to talk :censored2:, it's just how it is. I mean, your boss could've been telling the truth. I just know that this is a demanding, thankless job and most people end up feeling like they're the only one getting friend'd in the A on a daily basis. I think they call it jaded? idk. It is what it is, though, no disrespect intended to the work you put in when you're on the clock.

Lol you're good. I'm actually pretty :censored2:ing clueless about anything I do at work.

I never had any type of training, My first day my sup gave me like a 1 minute rundown of what I was suppose to do and threw me in a trailer. The closing thing I've had to training is pretty much doing something wrong and getting reprimanded LOL

I was cussed out several times my first two weeks. I felt so special. :blushing2:

I almost got fired when I walked outside to retrieve a box because I was never informed only yard certified people can go out there.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Lol you're good. I'm actually pretty :censored2:ing clueless about anything I do at work.

I never had any type of training, My first day my sup gave me like a 1 minute rundown of what I was suppose to do and threw me in a trailer. The closing thing I've had to training is pretty much doing something wrong and getting reprimanded LOL

I was cussed out several times my first two weeks. I felt so special. :blushing2:

I almost got fired when I walked outside to retrieve a box because I was never informed only yard certified people can go out there.
They haven't jammed the Yard controls rules along with the 8keys to Lifting and Lowering and the 5 keys to Avoiding Slips and Falls down your throat yet?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Do they focus on that with seasonals?
They should...I saw one new kid next to me climb the slide to break a jam....like he had seen me do an hour earlier...but he didn't know to yell to the high volume sorter to shut the belt off first. Luckily...I stopped him before he stepped on the still moving belt, and explained to him to make sure the belt is always off first.

My brand new PT sup (who was nowhere around at the time it happened) got an earful from me on supervising the trainees before someone gets hurt. :bsbullf:

Blkgiraffe

They should...I saw one new kid next to me climb the slide to break a jam....like he had seen me do an hour earlier...but he didn't know to yell to the high volume sorter to shut the belt off first. Luckily...I stopped him before he stepped on the still moving belt, and explained to him to make sute the belt is always off first.

My PT sup (who was nowhere around at the time it happened) got an earful from me on supervising the trainees before someone gets hurt.

Do ya'll have break jam workers or ya'll have to break jams yourselves??