Flashlights

pberrioz

How do you guys fair at night? Do you use a flashlight, Im a casual this xmas and my flashlight has become my best friend at when night falls on my route, not to mention im new to the route.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
Ask your center mechanic if he would upgrade the lighting in the cargo area w/led's. I have done this in mesquite. It is an easy upgrade w/no modifications to the trucks wiring.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Its funny, but at my first stop on the day the time changed, I found two large Mag-lites laying next to the road when I stepped out of my package car. One was a two D cell light and the other was a three, both had new batteries in them. I took the three cell home and put the two cell in my supplies box. My last delivery section that I run in the dark I know it like the back of my hand. Short driveways so I don't use a light. As a backup, I have a small Petzel headlamp I keep in my lunchbox. These leave your hands free and would be a good choice for walking off stops in the dark.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The trick is to get done while it is still light out.

Kinda tough when its pitch black at 4:45 and you have a 12 hr day.

I bought a 3-pack of compact "tactical" high-intensity LED flashlights at Costco that I really like. They are small enough to fit in your front pocket, but they put out as much light as a full-sized Mag light. They are made of thick, solid aircraft-grade aluminum and the circular area around the lens is "scalloped" in such a way so that if you held it in your fist like a dagger and swung it downward with sufficient force you could crush the skull of a large aggressive dog with it. I prefer biscuits and belly rubs to keep the dogs on my route under control, but its comforting to have something a bit more substantial for those times when you arent quite sure what might be lurking behind the gate.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
All of our local drivers are using a flashlight that outshines the maglite. Much smaller too. Fits in your jacket pocket.

old levi's

blank space
Been using the Surefire 6P for at least 10 years / Fits in your shirt pocket; great light.
If I lost it, I would replace it with next day delivery.
Get the LED, much longer battery life. Also get the click-on tail piece switch.

rod

Retired 22 years
Hell I needed a flashlight just to see if that dim dome light in the back of my P800 was even working. What a worthhless POS that light was. I petty-cashed the best flashlight I could find back then--- I think it was about 15 bucks. My center manager was PO'ed and said I better have that flashlight in my truck the day I retired and it was. (I still have it) . We also had an AM about how UPS don't provide flashlights but you could buy your own.:winnersmiley:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Hell I needed a flashlight just to see if that dim dome light in the back of my P800 was even working. What a worthhless POS that light was. I petty-cashed the best flashlight I could find back then--- I think it was about 15 bucks. My center manager was PO'ed and said I better have that flashlight in my truck the day I retired and it was. (I still have it) . We also had an AM about how UPS don't provide flashlights but you could buy your own.:winnersmiley:

I remember back when we accepted cash for COD's, I would use that money to buy flashlight batteries and then turn in the receipt at night. I got chewed out for it, but I kept doing it anyway.

pberrioz

Ask your center mechanic if he would upgrade the lighting in the cargo area w/led's. I have done this in mesquite. It is an easy upgrade w/no modifications to the trucks wiring.

Well luckily im getting to use a brand new p1000, only has 2000 miles on it, and i put about a quarter of that, but anyhow, its got nice lights inside.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
When you are on a route long enough,you shouldn't need a flashlight !! You memorize certian street house numbers that get stuff all the time and then the surrounding #'s shouls come easy to you..

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
You right Faded !! Back when I did it,we had the same rte everyday with the exception of a split ( different H.C area) would do those in daylight and my normal stops in the dark !! That was the OLD UPS when the customer came first!! Not Wall Street !!