Flavor of the Month--Pickup Compliance

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The flavor of the month in my center is pickup compliance. There is a concerted effort to get the center up to 80% compliance with the +/- 15 min window on pickups. They have made copies of our pickup logs and asked us to update pickup times and to make whatever other changes are needed to bring them up to date. The only problem with that is our start times. We start at 8:45 on Mon, 9:15 on Tues and Weds, and 9:00 on Thur and Fri. and, with all of the add/cuts it is really hard to remain consistent on pickup times. Well, they have added a new tactic--they posted a "report" breaking down our compliance by driver. The "report" had 5 headings--100%, 80%, 60%, 40%, and 39% and under--and driver's names were listed under the appropriate heading. I use " " for the word report as it was actually typed up by our OMS off of data she compiled from a mgt report. Our center manager is from the school of thought that if you post something less than positive about someone than they will work that much harder to correct that behavior.

NHDRVR

Is this data compiled on routes that have a certain % of commercial stops? I am 99% resi and I get to my house call p/u's at a different time every day. I wonder what they are using for data since you can't predict how long a pick up may take you on any given day. Assuming there could be a delay that is...

jimstud

Banned
The flavor of the month in my center is pickup compliance. There is a concerted effort to get the center up to 80% compliance with the +/- 15 min window on pickups. They have made copies of our pickup logs and asked us to update pickup times and to make whatever other changes are needed to bring them up to date. The only problem with that is our start times. We start at 8:45 on Mon, 9:15 on Tues and Weds, and 9:00 on Thur and Fri. and, with all of the add/cuts it is really hard to remain consistent on pickup times. Well, they have added a new tactic--they posted a "report" breaking down our compliance by driver. The "report" had 5 headings--100%, 80%, 60%, 40%, and 39% and under--and driver's names were listed under the appropriate heading. I use " " for the word report as it was actually typed up by our OMS off of data she compiled from a mgt report. Our center manager is from the school of thought that if you post something less than positive about someone than they will work that much harder to correct that behavior.
the pu compliance is old flavor in brockton but my main question is why the changing start times?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Pickup compliance was all the rage around here for a couple months last year. I never understood all the excuses other drivers had for not making compliance, I just broke route and made my pickups at the scheduled time no matter where I was.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The within 15 minutes pickup compliance is last years flavor that is still regurgitated here. We have two other ones that I really don't like. Now when we get an OCA, we have to pick it up within 15 minutes of the time we commit too. If you get the OCA as soon as you get on area, sometimes your estimated commit time is more or less if you get to the stop toward the end of the day. I'm mostly residential, so this affects me more than it would a commercial driver. Our newest flavor and a complete waste of time is RS/Calll Tags. We have to text the Center on the status of these stops as we attempt them. They are in PAS/EDD, so I don't see no point of this. The drivers that goof off and don't attempt them can be dealt with some other way, these addresses can be verified through GPS coordinances.

partykid

QUOTE=Jones;534342]Pickup compliance was all the rage around here for a couple months last year. I never understood all the excuses other drivers had for not making compliance, I just broke route and made my pickups at the scheduled time no matter where I was.[/QUOTE]
In our center, we have a sup that tells us if we get to a p/u early an they are ready for p/u pre-record an stop complete within the 15 min. window!!! IS that not an integerty issue????? I do as instructed jus wondering!!

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
We had a similar posting of negative results by people in our center, the DOK test.

15 seconds after someone mentioned the contract word "dignity", it was down.

Your center manager sounds like an idiot.

Overpaid Union Thug

I think this is slowly happening everywhere. Some districts/regions stick with it and some don't. It all depends on the the suits and ties running them. Here we have some drivers that completely ignore their pickup times. As long as the center as a whole gets 80% compliance then those drivers aren't messed with. And even when we don't hit 80% those drivers don't exactly get reamed or anything. There are some routes that are near impossible to stay within 80% either due to add/cuts or just the complexities of the routes. Management has said anything but I'm pretty sure our miles have sky rocketed since we started this. We've had plenty of customers complain too.

Hangingon

Our compliance is now 100% or automatic warning letter. We were told this morning missing a PU or OCA is grounds for immediate termination.

Hangingon

Honestly? Who knows. Our shop steward and BA don't seem to want to fight anything lately. I was just glad I wasn't a cover driver anymore when he said it. I used to manage to miss at least one PU whenever I was learning a new industrial route.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Pickup compliance was all the rage around here for a couple months last year. I never understood all the excuses other drivers had for not making compliance, I just broke route and made my pickups at the scheduled time no matter where I was.
Good Idea.

QUOTE=Jones;534342]Pickup compliance was all the rage around here for a couple months last year. I never understood all the excuses other drivers had for not making compliance, I just broke route and made my pickups at the scheduled time no matter where I was.
In our center, we have a sup that tells us if we get to a p/u early an they are ready for p/u pre-record an stop complete within the 15 min. window!!! IS that not an integerty issue????? I do as instructed jus wondering!![/QUOTE]Yes it is. Tell him/her that you want that in writing.

I was informed last week that I was way out of compliance. I told them that I had several stops that I took care of on area. I never heard back from them.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Our compliance is now 100% or automatic warning letter. We were told this morning missing a PU or OCA is grounds for immediate termination.

Impossible to be 100% I have 41 pickup stops. Lose a minute or two here and there and by the end I'm 20 minutes behind. They ask for 80% and that's what I give them.

feederrunner

feederrunner
lets try to get are stops off in a normal time. customers would set thare watches to us on are delivery times.(back when we thought of them as customers not numbers) with add/cuts and cut routs. no one knows when we can get to are stops. I never herd so many customers complain before. But we need to spend more on nascar, NHRA, and now PGA tours to get are name out there. UPS WHO??????? Put more trucks on the road, get the package to the customer, so they can work it and then ship it back out. take care of buisness so buisness can take care of us.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Well, they have added a new tactic--they posted a "report" breaking down our compliance by driver. The "report" had 5 headings--100%, 80%, 60%, 40%, and 39% and under--and driver's names were listed under the appropriate heading. I use " " for the word report as it was actually typed up by our OMS off of data she compiled from a mgt report. Our center manager is from the school of thought that if you post something less than positive about someone than they will work that much harder to correct that behavior.

Your center manager is an idiot, and you need to file an Art 37 grievance to get him straightened out.

And as far as that "compliance" number goes....its just a number. It doesnt mean anything. Some mid-level sup is just trying to justify his own existence by manufacturing a statistic, pretending that it means something, and then making a big deal over tracking it. Its too bad this guy cant find something relevant to worry about.

I also don't understand the excuses for not making the 15min rule. I started driving in '72 and drivers would break off their areas, make their pickups and go back for deliveries (hardly anyone was done after p/u's)

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Your center manager is an idiot, and you need to file an Art 37 grievance to get him straightened out.

And as far as that "compliance" number goes....its just a number. It doesnt mean anything. Some mid-level sup is just trying to justify his own existence by manufacturing a statistic, pretending that it means something, and then making a big deal over tracking it. Its too bad this guy cant find something relevant to worry about.

In upstate New York, the union does not believe in the grievance process. What the union does is bake cookies for the center manager and DM served with milk, while repeatedly saying "yes master". This tends to settle most issues.

The PU time is a real stat, it is one of the elements in a CMs overall rating that determines his/her bonuses.