Fleet mechanic daily life?

Holydriver

I am from the Grand Rapids Mi area and UPS is hiring for full time Fleet mechanics and part time automotive mechanics. What's the difference between the two jobs? I am interested in the fleet mechanic posting as I currently am a State of Michigan master certified tech with 10 years diesel truck and equipment tech. What would a minor repairs day to major repairs day consist of. Do they rebuilt engines, transmissions or rear ends?
You wanna be a UPS mechanic? Cam you write "cannot duplicate problem." On a DVIR booklet? If you can answer yes to this question you'll go far

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
First off its a good job with excellent pay, benefits and pension. You could be a Teamster or IAM. IAM's pension is 101% funded. 11$ an hour goes in your pension. You will retire.

We repair/replace everything on the truck. We do not rebuild any components or replace windshields. Glass company does windshield, major components are ordered and delivered. You are responsible for your fleet. Its easier then what you are doing. I see my boss every couple of weeks, most communication is done through emails and phone calls.

Now for the annoying things. You are a mastertech with 10 years, I was a mastertech with 12 years. We are the same. Here we go.

Your mastertech certification will help you get the job, but once you start, it means nothing. Its a progression pay raise. You will start at the bottom, which is like 21$ an hour. We have a 2 year progression, top rate is 34.$$ Skill and level of experience is based on how long you have been there. So a guy who was hired out of tech school and started a year before you is a better mechanic. Plus he is payed more since he started before you (remember the progression pay). Its seniority based. Your shop may just be a small space in the building that everyone uses. Every building is different. Do not expect to have a bay space, hopefully you will. No one will respect your toolbox. People will pile garbage on it, run carts into it, basically a toolbox is just a table to people. That being said, a small crappy toolbox is the way to go. I have a 3 bay toolbox, its WAY to big. There is no real training, more then likely you will fall behind in the ever changing heavy diesel industry. We have trucks from the mid 90s up to 07 DPF systems. We do not have any with DEF/SCR. Every building is different.

Basically we do not run like a normal shop. It will not be like what you have been doing for the last 10 years. It was difficult for me to let go of the 12 years I had before this job. My 1st year adjustment was extremely difficult, I felt like quitting everyday. But like I said, the top rate pay, benefits and pension are excellent.
Hit the nail on the head, what is important everywhere else dealership/independent shop wise is not important anymore, but the pay is higher so ask yourself, which is more important to you?

CatDumpThis

Hit the nail on the head, what is important everywhere else dealership/independent shop wise is not important anymore, but the pay is higher so ask yourself, which is more important to you?
Oops I missed!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 196

CatDumpThis

Uggh! Sumbich! Some years ago a mechanic was sporting his big toe where his thumb used to be. His partner missed while they were trying to pound a race from an aluminum hub. Sadly that all could have been avoided with a little more know-how.
Oh :censored2:. Yeah that would surly make you think twice about what you were about to beat on if you had to look at your big toe on your hand while grabbing a tool. Zhit!

Hump dump and roll

I think the only qualifications you need to be a mechanic in our area is the ability to illegiblely write "no problems okay to run" and "parts on order." That and the dexterity to shuffle a dozen or so DVIR's and hold them at arms length while squinting your eyes trying to read that the package car is about to fall apart.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I think the only qualifications you need to be a mechanic in our area is the ability to illegiblely write "no problems okay to run" and "parts on order." That and the dexterity to shuffle a dozen or so DVIR's and hold them at arms length while squinting your eyes trying to read that the package car is about to fall apart.
Love you too.

Uggh! Sumbich! Some years ago a mechanic was sporting his big toe where his thumb used to be. His partner missed while they were trying to pound a race from an aluminum hub. Sadly that all could have been avoided with a little more know-how.

You may know. The easiest way I have found is to weld a bead all the way around on the race where the bearing sits. Then hit with punch and it falls out in pieces. "Aluminum hubs"

bkydmech

First off its a good job with excellent pay, benefits and pension. You could be a Teamster or IAM. IAM's pension is 101% funded. 11$ an hour goes in your pension. You will retire.

We repair/replace everything on the truck. We do not rebuild any components or replace windshields. Glass company does windshield, major components are ordered and delivered. You are responsible for your fleet. Its easier then what you are doing. I see my boss every couple of weeks, most communication is done through emails and phone calls.

Now for the annoying things. You are a mastertech with 10 years, I was a mastertech with 12 years. We are the same. Here we go.

Your mastertech certification will help you get the job, but once you start, it means nothing. Its a progression pay raise. You will start at the bottom, which is like 21$ an hour. We have a 2 year progression, top rate is 34.$$ Skill and level of experience is based on how long you have been there. So a guy who was hired out of tech school and started a year before you is a better mechanic. Plus he is payed more since he started before you (remember the progression pay). Its seniority based. Your shop may just be a small space in the building that everyone uses. Every building is different. Do not expect to have a bay space, hopefully you will. No one will respect your toolbox. People will pile garbage on it, run carts into it, basically a toolbox is just a table to people. That being said, a small crappy toolbox is the way to go. I have a 3 bay toolbox, its WAY to big. There is no real training, more then likely you will fall behind in the ever changing heavy diesel industry. We have trucks from the mid 90s up to 07 DPF systems. We do not have any with DEF/SCR. Every building is different.

Basically we do not run like a normal shop. It will not be like what you have been doing for the last 10 years. It was difficult for me to let go of the 12 years I had before this job. My 1st year adjustment was extremely difficult, I felt like quitting everyday. But like I said, the top rate pay, benefits and pension are excellent.
So does $11/hr get taking out of your pay for the pension making your pay $23/hr or do you take home $34/hr after taxes?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
So does $11/hr get taking out of your pay for the pension making your pay $23/hr or do you take home $34/hr after taxes?
Typically, you never see the $11 on your paystub, it is paid to the pension fund separately; only the $34 pay rate. So 40*$34=$1,360 gross weekly pay, less the usual deductions (taxes, FICA, union dues, 401K if you elect to participate, etc). It's a good idea to periodically check with the pension fund to make sure the company is paying what it should have, and the pension fund is recording it accurately.

bkydmech

Typically, you never see the $11 on your paystub, it is paid to the pension fund separately; only the $34 pay rate. So 40*$34=$1,360 gross weekly pay, less the usual deductions (taxes, FICA, union dues, 401K if you elect to participate, etc). It's a good idea to periodically check with the pension fund to make sure the company is paying what it should have, and the pension fund is recording it accurately.
How much do union dues typically run?

Jm1015

Let somebody put something on a box in my shop. That crap would go over like a lead balloon.

I am from the Grand Rapids Mi area and UPS is hiring for full time Fleet mechanics and part time automotive mechanics. What's the difference between the two jobs? I am interested in the fleet mechanic posting as I currently am a State of Michigan master certified tech with 10 years diesel truck and equipment tech. What would a minor repairs day to major repairs day consist of. Do they rebuilt engines, transmissions or rear ends?

I've been with UPS for 2 years and it's been a cake walk. I've got everything from 99 models to brand new CNGs. Just show up, keep them running and safe and cash the checks. Best job ever.

Last edited: