Fleet mechanic daily life?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My mechanic is “no longer with the company”. New automotive supervisor told me he needs two mechanics in the Forest Park, Ga. Hub.

Gear

Parts on Order
My mechanic is “no longer with the company”. New automotive supervisor told me he needs two mechanics in the Forest Park, Ga. Hub.

Wasn't he a young new guy? I hate to be the old guy (especially since Im 38) talking about the younger guys but some of these guys cant fix a sandwich. Its not to bad when you have 4 mechs, 2 being actually mechs and 2 that cant read a multimeter. But it makes no sense to hire a guy with no real experience for a one mech center.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Wasn't he a young new guy? I hate to be the old guy (especially since Im 38) talking about the younger guys but some of these guys cant fix a sandwich.

He was a young guy that may have lasted a little over a year with us. He seemed to be goofing off a lot when I came in at night. I can understand that a new mechanic needs to get experience. It took him two weeks to replace my rear calipers and then he missed fixing a front leaf spring that was written up by our day mechanic on the original road call. So my car was red-tagged for another week. He replaced a steering rod and my right tire is now severely wearing and out of alignment. they replaced a front tire with the steel belts starting to show with another used tire that isn't much better. I met our new automotive supervisor the other night and he told me about the job openings and said to send down anybody that I know.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
He was a young guy that may have lasted a little over a year with us. He seemed to be goofing off a lot when I came in at night. I can understand that a new mechanic needs to get experience. It took him two weeks to replace my rear calipers and then he missed fixing a front leaf spring that was written up by our day mechanic on the original road call. So my car was red-tagged for another week. He replaced a steering rod and my right tire is now severely wearing and out of alignment. they replaced a front tire with the steel belts starting to show with another used tire that isn't much better. I met our new automotive supervisor the other night and he told me about the job openings and said to send down anybody that I know.
I'm already occupied.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm already occupied.

I wish you would re-locate to the other side of the country! They are even letting our mechanics work overtime now. I always thought that was ridiculous to work a driver sixty hours but send a mechanic home at exactly eight hours. Once mine left my car up on jack stands when changing tires because the supervisor told him to go home instead of lowering it back to the ground.