Flight Attendant Rage..Are we next?

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
Steven Slater has done what a lot of people wish they can do in today's economy .Image all the rude people he has to do deal, that think because they bought a ticket they own the plane. Being a passenger a on plane is comparable to riding on a cheap bus line in this day of age. I know that would not be a job I could handle especially having to deal with the residents of New York city.

bigbrownhen

It seems being hit on the head with someone's luggage who insisted on trying to shove it in the over head and refusing to be seated as instructed was the last straw for this guy. It is gonna cost him his job, but I don't think he really cares. I hope they charge the passenger who started this mess with something as well. Slater over-reacted. Overwhelming stress at home as well as work just made him snap. Thank goodness he didn't try to harm anyone, just get the heck outa dodge and have a few brews.

As for UPS, it will just be a matter of time before someone goes over board with all the pressure from corporate. It could be management as well as hourly. Each side has their own flavor of stress.

whiskey

s
The way it looks like as of now.
That guy named "Slater" will never need to work, again.

I'm sure he'll be on Oprah, Late night show, and many others.
Just watching my cdn news now.... they said it well worth a 2nd day reporting about him.
This guy has gone worldwide with his act !

I thought his name was Steven Stucker. Didn't he appear in a 1980 movie with Lloyd Bridges and Robert Stack? "Auntie Em,Uncle Henry. Toto! It's a twister! It's a twister!"

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Flight Attendants do a thankless job.
They have to service and be polite to people that simply ignore them when they give the pre-flight instructions.
Polite to people that will be looking to them in the event of an emergency.
Polite to people that are to busy to pay attention to simple instructions.

Imagine talking to a group of non-responding, eye-rolling, magazine reading adults with instructions that could save lives.

Do you want to be treated well on an airplane?
Here is the simple secret.
Make eye-contact with attendant - positive eye-contact!!
When they point to the exits...even if you know where the exits are...follow them...make them feel valued...maybe learn something.

Say thank you.

These under appreciated airline slaves may surprise you with an upgrade to first class because your actions made them feel valued.
They sometimes, if the opportunity exists, like to return the goodwill.

Tried it. The reply was, "Your Bloody Mary will be 8 dollars sir, but we are out Bloody Mary mix so you get only 4 ounces out of the 8 ounce can".

NHDRVR

This stuff happens all the time. This guy just decided to make a dramatic exit after the situation but as far as drivers snapping on customers? That's old news. I think we all know of a driver that ended up fired for a day because he/she couldn't hold their tongue. The driver who has the route south of mine was fired for walking into an office and tossing a NDA letter on the desk and saying (he told me this himself) "Here's your friend*ing package..." He said he was PO'd that he had to break off and lose time to get there. Stupid, of course, but these examples are everywhere.

Now as far as quitting your job is concerned. I always thought that if the situation was right I would do something funny or try to make a statement but now, after this many years, I would just want to walk out the door and not have to deal with any of it. That's reward enough...

Babagounj

Strength through joy
JFK Security, JetBlue Under Scrutiny After Slater’s Outburst

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/08/11/jfk-security-jetblue-under-scrutiny-after-slaters-outburst/
Despite this, Slater’s intense exit drew no emergency vehicles – no firetrucks, no nothing.
“Deployment of the chute is like a big Fourth of July firecracker going off,” Daly said. “It’s saying, ‘look at this.’”
And that’s not the only security hole. Slater ran through what are supposed to be secure zones around airplanes – with two carry-on bags. In fact, the response took so long that Slater got all the way back to his Queens home without being stopped. It was there that police arrested him.
Chris Ward, the executive director of New York’s Port Authority, is pointing the finger at JetBlue.
“Any breach of security is a concern,” said Ward. “The public wants to know that airports are safe.”
Port Authority sources told CBS 2 that JetBlue didn’t follow proper protocols, and that there was a 25-minute delay before JetBlue alerted police.

bluehdmc

Heard on the news this morning that the passenger involved faces over $25K in fines. 1 fine of $1100. for releasing her seatbelt and moving around the cabin while the plane was moving and the "fasten seat belt" sign was on. Another $1100. for opening the overhead compartment while the plane was still moving. (This is stuff people seem to be doing all the time when I fly.) Then a fine of $25K for the bag striking the flight attendant.
I'm sure if any passenger that got up was to be injured if the plane stopped short they would get the law firm of Dewey, Srewem, and Howe and sue the airline, the ticket agent, pilot and flight attendants.
Also on the news, there is supposed to be another passenger who says the flight attendant was rude at the beginning of the flight. I'm sure they'll all be on some talk shows. Maybe they can get a reality TV deal out of it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Whenever you push people too hard, there is always a risk of someone going over the edge. Frankly, given the way both UPS and FedEx push their employees, I'm surprised that there have not been incidents like the one at the beverage distributor in CT a few weeks ago. It's only a matter of time until something very bad happens. Let's say you have a very sick child or parent or are going through a trying divorce with money issues involved. On your worst day, your center manager or OM (FedEx) decides to push your buttons and ride your ass for some minor issue....SNAP!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
l71v42-b78675516z.120100812102440000gi8prj9j.1.jpg

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Heard on the news this morning that the passenger involved faces over $25K in fines. 1 fine of $1100. for releasing her seatbelt and moving around the cabin while the plane was moving and the "fasten seat belt" sign was on. Another $1100. for opening the overhead compartment while the plane was still moving. (This is stuff people seem to be doing all the time when I fly.) Then a fine of $25K for the bag striking the flight attendant.
I'm sure if any passenger that got up was to be injured if the plane stopped short they would get the law firm of Dewey, Srewem, and Howe and sue the airline, the ticket agent, pilot and flight attendants.
Also on the news, there is supposed to be another passenger who says the flight attendant was rude at the beginning of the flight. I'm sure they'll all be on some talk shows. Maybe they can get a reality TV deal out of it.
This says it all. It sure must be hard to be a flight attendant.

Whenever you push people too hard, there is always a risk of someone going over the edge. Frankly, given the way both UPS and FedEx push their employees, I'm surprised that there have not been incidents like the one at the beverage distributor in CT a few weeks ago. It's only a matter of time until something very bad happens. Let's say you have a very sick child or parent or are going through a trying divorce with money issues involved. On your worst day, your center manager or OM (FedEx) decides to push your buttons and ride your ass for some minor issue....SNAP!!
If that's what makes you "SNAP", maybe these people should find other lines of work.