FMLA question

2Slow

A part timer came to me and asked about FMLA to take care of a sick child. Sounds textbook to me but... She's only been at UPS since April.
Is there a minimum length of employment before she'll be able to get FMLA?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
A part timer came to me and asked about FMLA to take care of a sick child. Sounds textbook to me but... She's only been at UPS since April.
Is there a minimum length of employment before she'll be able to get FMLA?
Minimum of 12 months for any employee. If s/he works 1,250 hours in that year, then eligible for the full 12 weeks. Part timers typically don't become eligible until 36 months of service, and must have 625 hours in the past 12 months, to be eligible for 6 weeks.
It is either 500 or 750 hours for PTers. Either way she does not have enough hours to qualify.
This is covered in the contract. Do you not have a book or a digital copy?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Unless the part-time employee has been there 1 year and accumulated 1250 hrs....

Then, they need 3 years and 625 hours.

Section 6. Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

"All employees who have worked for the Company for a minimum of twelve (12) months and worked at least 1250 hours during the past twelve (12) months are eligible for unpaid leave as set forth in the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993.

Additionally, any employee not covered above, that has worked for the Company for a minimum of thirty-six (36) months and accrued at least 625 paid hours during the past twelve (12) months is eligible for unpaid leave as set forth below, except that the amount of leave allowed will be computed at one half (1/2) of the time provided by the FMLA."

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

-Bug-

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Minimum of 12 months for any employee. If s/he works 1,250 hours in that year, then eligible for the full 12 weeks. Part timers typically don't become eligible until 36 months of service, and must have 625 hours in the past 12 months, to be eligible for 6 weeks.

This is covered in the contract. Do you not have a book or a digital copy?

500 + 750 = 1250 1250/2 = 625