Food Stamps: Big Heart or Big Profits?

wkmac

In 2011, a record 46 million people - or 1 in 7 Americans -- participated in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), better known as Food Stamps.
The increased use of Food Stamps is a huge social and political issue for America, and it's also big business. In 2011, the U.S. government spent $72 billion on Food Stamps.
Among the beneficiaries, food producers such as Cargill, PepsiCo. (PEP), Coca-Cola (KO) and Kraft (KFT), as well as retailers like Wal-Mart. Of course, Wall Street gets a cut too, led by JPMorgan Chase (JPM), which administers the SNAP benefits in 24 states.

Marion Nestle on The (Big) Business of Food Stamps: “Here’s Where the Profits Come in”

If you completely ended the Food Stamp and associated public assistance programs, how would this change the profit lines of many big name corporations?

If those profit lines were a negative, would the negative be large enough to sway Washington Corp. lobbyists and insiders to move gov't to keep and maintain the status quo of public assistance programs? Even grow it?

Does a steady if not a growing underclass dependent on public assistance become a necessary in order to maintain and grow profit lines in order to meet Wall Street demands?

If public assistance is bad and the capitalism of Corp. America good, for those who follow this thinking, how do you resolve the conflict that the latter benefits and profits from the former?

If public assistance grows gov't and Corp. America profits from public assistance, for those who believe in smaller gov't and oppose public assistance, does this make Corp. American and Corp. Capitalism a foe and not a friend?

If regulation brings about these public assistance programs of which Corporations benefit, are the Corporations paying lip service in declaring regulatory gov't as bad when the truth is that Corp. America love regulation and has been behind such from day one under the guise of regulatory capture?

Would the Tea Party be better served in Zuccotti Park opposing Corp. America and the Occupy folks better served at the Glen Beck and Sean Hannity rallies celebrating Corp. America or are these just fictions of more circus to add to confusing the American public so they don't catch on?

moreluck

golden ticket member
191325.jpg

(this was the one & only thread with the word "food stamps" in it)

SmithBarney

It's a sad state of affairs when someone with no job can subside on govt. support. And another who works at Fedex or other major corporation can't make enough to pay rent, but "makes" too much to qualify for govt support.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I support a 2 year maximum lifetime benefit cap for foodstamps and welfare for all US citizens.
Eliminate all public housing subsidies and sell off to private investors all public housing units.
I call it the GET A JOB YOU LAZY PEOPLE PROGRAM.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I support a 2 year maximum lifetime benefit cap for foodstamps and welfare for all US citizens.
Eliminate all public housing subsidies and sell off to private investors all public housing units.
I call it the GET A JOB YOU LAZY PEOPLE PROGRAM.
You didn't put much thought into this post, did you? I feel sorry for you if you did!

rod

Retired 22 years
1 in 7-----and I always seem to get stuck behind that person at the grocery store and get the privilege of watching them unload all their free junk food and good stuff that I pass up because its too expensive.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
1 in 7-----and I always seem to get stuck behind that person at the grocery store and get the privilege of watching them unload all their free junk food and good stuff that I pass up because its too expensive.
That's the other thing...food stamps should be more strictly regulated in terms of what you can buy. Candy, chips, soda and steak are not necessities.

CJinx

The food stamp program seems screwed up in regards to what they allow/disallow people to buy. The examples above are a good indication.

I was in line at the checkout the other day when the line was being held up by what I'm guessing was a single mother with her child in tow. She was buying items that I would think would be good candidates for food stamps; cans of vegetables, lunch meats, rice, etc. The system would not allow her to buy cans of green beans with food stamps, much to the agitation to the man ahead of me but behind her in line. They tried a few more brands but still it wouldn't let it through, so I spoke up and asked the cashier to put the green beans on my tab. This really pissed off the guy in front of me. lol :childish: