for all the helpers....................

Ideliver

that want tips on how to best help your driver............

learn to read/use the DIAD

Find the street name on the DIAD and call off the house numbers for them. They can then look for the house number (if he/she doesnt already know where it is)without looking at their DIAD.

more often than not your driver will stop in front of the house where the package need to go. if not they will point it out to you but it helps if you can verify it on your own in either case.

if they do not have the stop ready call out the number of packages and HIN number for the stop and at the same time unbuckle then step down onto the street.

scan you a safe path to the delivery point and where a good place would be to conceal the package from view.

scan the package as you head to the delivery point. place the package and ring the bell while at the same time using feel of touch to big down, f5, 6 (or where ever the location) and then stop complete. you should be with the DIAD before even leaving the delivery point.

move your arse back to the car and climb in using the hand rail. Drop your DIAD back into its holder, sit down and buckle up.

rinse/repeat.

if your doing it right the entire stop should be under 30 seconds and your driver should have thepackage for the next stop or 3-4 stops ready.

don't be afraid of the DIAD. there are less then a dozen buttons you need to use for what you will be doing. if you screw up it isn't anything your driver can't fix.

it would also be of benefit to learn how to leave a info notice when a sig required is not home as well as how to get a sig if the customer is home. Of course it's up to the driver to teach
you these things and most are willing if you show interest and have half a brain. If they choose not to then just enjoy the scenery as you are chauffeured around.

good luck and be safe.

H

htown0721

please NO MORE HELPER post...it's a minimum wage, temporary job...less worrying more working

jaker

trolling
What's a helper I have not been giving one of those yet

Dont know why , don't care they are not screwing up my stops to much so I will ride it out

Ideliver

What's a helper I have not been giving one of those yet

Dont know why , don't care they are not screwing up my stops to much so I will ride it out

You have not been given a helper coz u screw up your route all by urself......jus say'n :devil3:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is good advice---a helper that can use the DIAD is an asset, not a go-fer.

Find the street name on the DIAD and call off the house numbers for them. They can then look for the house number (if he/she doesnt already know where it is)without looking at their DIAD.

Drivers are supposed to know their next five stops and do not need the helper to do this for him.

more often than not your driver will stop in front of the house where the package need to go. if not they will point it out to you but it helps if you can verify it on your own in either case.

The driver will stop in a way that allows the most number of deliveries from that location. If you have two or more stops close to one another the driver will park so that all of those stops can be delivered without moving the pkg car.

if they do not have the stop ready call out the number of packages and HIN number for the stop and at the same time unbuckle then step down onto the street.

Please don't do this.

scan you a safe path to the delivery point and where a good place would be to conceal the package from view.

Direct path from pkg car to delivery point. Scan walkway and verify address on pkg with physical address. DR package out of sight/weather.

scan the package as you head to the delivery point. place the package and ring the bell while at the same time using feel of touch to big down, f5, 6 (or where ever the location) and then stop complete. you should be with the DIAD before even leaving the delivery point.

This is ideal if you can do it but I would prefer my helper focus on working safely, which means scanning the walkway and then the package.

move your arse back to the car and climb in using the hand rail. Drop your DIAD back into its holder, sit down and buckle up.

Yup.

rinse/repeat.

if your doing it right the entire stop should be under 30 seconds and your driver should have thepackage for the next stop or 3-4 stops ready.

Yup.

don't be afraid of the DIAD. there are less then a dozen buttons you need to use for what you will be doing. if you screw up it isn't anything your driver can't fix.

Yup.

it would also be of benefit to learn how to leave a info notice when a sig required is not home as well as how to get a sig if the customer is home. Of course it's up to the driver to teach
you these things and most are willing if you show interest and have half a brain. If they choose not to then just enjoy the scenery as you are chauffeured around.

I have very few sig req res del so rather than train the driver I deliver these myself.

good luck and be safe.

Overall the advice you gave was sound. The job is rather basic but if you have a sense of urgency and willingness to learn you will be an asset to your driver.

gingerkat

rinse/repeat.

good luck and be safe.
Well, my driver does not want me to look at the diad and call out the street for him. That is HIS job, not mine. Plus it's loud in there, I would be screaming and lose my voice by 11:00am.

Call out the HIN #? Again, that's almost calling the driver a maroon for telling him how to do his job. Not everyone knows what a HIN number is or even cares. I do, but that is because I ask a ***** load of questions.

My driver likes the ding-dong-ditch method. Box already next to me, scan/stop complete in PC, go to door, put package down, knock/ring, turn and take off like a bat out of hell. I'm usually back in PC before they can open door. It's all about staying under the radar.

I hold on to my diad as I'm going to do the same as I did on previous.

Not all drivers have time to "teach" every aspect of the diad and prefer us helpers to do the running. You sound like me and like to learn and understand things work. I know you're trying to help, but your superhero cape got stuck in the bulkhead door I think. My point is, let your driver direct you.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I will drive to the house and park in a way to get from the Package car to the house by the most direct, unobstructed manner.

You will run to the house with whatever I throw to you, run back sit down and strap in.

That's the best helper advice I can give

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Folks make helpers jobs sound so involved, and they don't even drive the truck. Imagine if they had to learn DOK questions, this place would implode.

UPSGUY72

I fixed it for you

1. Don't touch or look a DIAD without drivers OK.

2. Most driver have to next 5 to 10 stops memorized in there head.

3. Or two houses down and make you walk if they playing games with you.

4. Just sit over in the jump seat and get out and be waiting for the driver to hand you a package when the car stops, he already know where it is a the next 10, 15 or more stop are already sorted in the back.

5. The driver will tell you where to put the package. Out of sight doesn't mean hiding it so the homeowner can't find it either.

6. See #1 and #5

7. Walk at a brisk pace to and from delivery point safely. If you get hurt you career with UPS is over for ever.

rinse/repeat.

8. If it takes your 30 sec at each stop your not moving faster enough.

9. See #1 this is so the driver doesn't have to fix everything you friend'd up. Something the driver can't fix.

it would also be of benefit to learn how to leave a info notice when a sig required is not home as well as how to get a sig if the customer is home. Of course it's up to the driver to teach you these things and most are willing if you show interest and have half a brain. If they choose not to then just enjoy the scenery as you are chauffeured around.

10. Be prepared to follow instruction from the driver and be prepared to work. Your driver will use you the way that is most productive for his area. When your sitting in the jump seat pay attention driver will most likely be telling you what to do at the next stop as they are driving to it.

good luck and be safe.

The drive is responsible for everything included you. You are responsible for following directions and not getting hurt if you get hurt your will not be working for UPS in any capacity in the future.

Ideliver

This is good advice---a helper that can use the DIAD is an asset, not a go-fer.

yup.

Drivers are supposed to know their next five stops and do not need the helper to do this for him.

supposed is the key word right? running a split in a hood u never been in at night looking for addys suxs.

The driver will stop in a way that allows the most number of deliveries from that location. If you have two or more stops close to one another the driver will park so that all of those stops can be delivered without moving the pkg car.

yup. so hand a helper 3 pkgs and say and point 8230 goes there, 8234 goes there and 8227 goes there. I am sure it helps if a helper can can read addy labels and figure it out without all the instruction. Thus is me point.

Please don't do this.

y?

Direct path from pkg car to delivery point. Scan walkway and verify address on pkg with physical address. DR package out of sight/weather.

direct path? so i trip over the extension cords for all the x-mas decos in the yard. as for the verify addy see above.

This is ideal if you can do it but I would prefer my helper focus on working safely, which means scanning the walkway and then the package.

i can do it! and safely!

Yup.

rinse/repeat.

Yup.

Yup.

I have very few sig req res del so rather than train the driver I deliver these myself.

we do a lot here. but if as a driver u need training plz ask me I will be happy to help.

good luck and be safe.

Overall the advice you gave was sound. The job is rather basic but if you have a sense of urgency and willingness to learn you will be an asset to your driver.

thks. i know u r in the bubble of goodness but when u r ready for greatness let me know............i will, agian, be happy to help :devil3: