For Part Timers Only: If you are only here for the benefits...You've got to vote NO!

Too much is coming off the table to justify working PT in the air district. Since the Worldport opened in 2002, Dozens of companies have relocated to Louisville. (GEEK Squad, Amazon, Zappos, Nikon USA, GFI, ETC...) We are losing folks to these companies daily because they offer fulltime jobs with higher starting pay and benefits. We are now constantly understaffed and are hiring from the bottom of the barrel. (I get new hirers asking me, "Do they drug test?" all the time!) We work with High School Seniors and in one year send them to nights and start all over with newbies!!! It will not get better in the forseeable future, so UPS needs to put more on the table and stop taking stuff off.

By the way, I'm only here for the insurance..., mess with it and I'm going, too!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Re: For Part Timers Only: If you are only here for the benefits...You've got to vote

Interesting that you mention the insurance, because most of the companies you mentioned (as well as oodles of other satellite warehouses attracted to the SDF hub) do not initially hire directly, instead turning toward temp agencies & contractor-type positions. Therefore, well they may offer slightly higher wages & significantly superior corporate culture to UPS (especially the former Zappos warehouse), they do not offer benefits. Even Best Buy's massive warehouse pays $17 or more after just several years, but the cost of family benefits is so high that on an hourly basis, UPS pays more. (And many/most UPS PTers in SDF work FT hours.)

Good luck finding no-cost benefits with a low deductible and high claim payouts.

RealPerson

Re: For Part Timers Only: If you are only here for the benefits...You've got to vote

Interesting that you mention the insurance, because most of the companies you mentioned (as well as oodles of other satellite warehouses attracted to the SDF hub) do not initially hire directly, instead turning toward temp agencies & contractor-type positions. Therefore, well they may offer slightly higher wages & significantly superior corporate culture to UPS (especially the former Zappos warehouse), they do not offer benefits. Even Best Buy's massive warehouse pays $17 or more after just several years, but the cost of family benefits is so high that on an hourly basis, UPS pays more. (And many/most UPS PTers in SDF work FT hours.)
Good luck finding no-cost benefits with a low deductible and high claim payouts.

I could understand reducing things if the Company is taking a loss every year, But they are NOT. Record Profits.
I also work several times harder and destroy my BODY for those benefits. UPS pays said $17 per hour per employee for health and welfare.

Interesting that you mention the insurance, because most of the companies you mentioned (as well as oodles of other satellite warehouses attracted to the SDF hub) do not initially hire directly, instead turning toward temp agencies & contractor-type positions. Therefore, well they may offer slightly higher wages & significantly superior corporate culture to UPS (especially the former Zappos warehouse), they do not offer benefits.

First, they are offering benefits as well, that is why we are losing so many employees to them!!! Secondly, I can switch the family to my wife's insurance, take a fulltime job elsewhere and come out much further ahead. And, I should mention that Ford, GE and Toyota are all hiring as well.

(And many/most UPS PTers in SDF work FT hours.)

Who are you? Do you work in Worldport? Seriously, Bro? I've got a lot of seniority and am lucky to get 5.5 hours on 2Da. It is good, but nowhere near FT! With over 7000 3hrs, just under 700 6hrs, and 700 FTers, making up the air district. And everyone fully aware of other peoples business (UNION-like), I can assure you your statement above is false. We are still owed FT from the last contract! Currently, it will take you at least 14 years to get a 6 hr job. 15+ for a Full-time job and it keeps getting longer!

Good luck finding no-cost benefits with a low deductible and high claim payouts.[/QUOTE]

I Had a no-cost benefits but I'm hearing it is gone! Why work for less?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

First, they are offering benefits as well, that is why we are losing so many employees to them!!! Secondly, I can switch the family to my wife's insurance, take a fulltime job elsewhere and come out much further ahead. And, I should mention that Ford, GE and Toyota are all hiring as well.

Most of the companies you mentioned, as well as most other warehousing jobs in the SDF area, turn to temporary agencies/independent contractors for initial hires. You can confirm this yourself -- Best Buy, Amazon-Zappos, etc. all refer you to a temp agency such as Kelly Services. This is partially being done to circumvent ObamaCare. And even once eligible for benefits, they're not cheap -- a quick Google search yields several Best Buy employees mentioning that the job pays more than $17/hour after several years, but family medical benefits set one back more than $100 per week. That's like adding $5 to a PT UPS's employees wage ... nor is it factoring in the cost of using the benefits.

Who are you? Do you work in Worldport? Seriously, Bro? I've got a lot of seniority and am lucky to get 5.5 hours on 2Da. It is good, but nowhere near FT! With over 7000 3hrs, just under 700 6hrs, and 700 FTers, making up the air district. And everyone fully aware of other peoples business (UNION-like), I can assure you your statement above is false. We are still owed FT from the last contract! Currently, it will take you at least 14 years to get a 6 hr job. 15+ for a Full-time job and it keeps getting longer!

I said in SDF, not necessarily the WorldPort. We've had oodles of PT SDF-based BrownCafe members gripe about the 8- to 12-hour shifts they're working. Apparently a third shift was added to one UPS hub, alleviating some of the "excess" OT for now.

I Had a no-cost benefits but I'm hearing it is gone! Why work for less?

You're hearing wrong. A few changes are being made to the benefits, but for most PTers, when the deductible peaks, it will set them back only a few hundred per year. Meanwhile, their wage will have increased by $3.90/hour.

RealPerson

[/COLOR]

Most of the companies you mentioned, as well as most other warehousing jobs in the SDF area, turn to temporary agencies/independent contractors for initial hires. You can confirm this yourself -- Best Buy, Amazon-Zappos, etc. all refer you to a temp agency such as Kelly Services. This is partially being done to circumvent ObamaCare. And even once eligible for benefits, they're not cheap -- a quick Google search yields several Best Buy employees mentioning that the job pays more than $17/hour after several years, but family medical benefits set one back more than $100 per week. That's like adding $5 to a PT UPS's employees wage ... nor is it factoring in the cost of using the benefits.

I said in SDF, not necessarily the WorldPort. We've had oodles of PT SDF-based BrownCafe members gripe about the 8- to 12-hour shifts they're working. Apparently a third shift was added to one UPS hub, alleviating some of the "excess" OT for now.

You're hearing wrong. A few changes are being made to the benefits, but for most PTers, when the deductible peaks, it will set them back only a few hundred per year. Meanwhile, their wage will have increased by $3.90/hour.

The setback depends on how much you use the insurance.. If you use it only once or twice it will cost you more, or if you use it a lot it will cost you more. From the numbers I am hearing... But let me ask you, do you work for the company as a supervisor or manager? You sure sound like it. Why Should I have to pay more for my benefits that I work just as hard for???

Then you add the $3.90/ hour, LOL that is the total at the End of the 5 year agreement.
PT are only getting a .50 starting wage increase.
The total for the contract is .10 LESS total than the Last contract.. We are Working Backwards Here, while UPS keeps raising costs of shipping every year and turning record Profits, even in what is a down Economy. The USPS future is questionable. The USPS takes Billions In losses every year.. I don't care what everyone thinks the reasons for the losses are, just it isnt a profit.

We have a Local company that has not given raises in several years, BUT they also have not had any profit, taken losses and even filed for bankruptcy a couple of time.

I could understand if UPS didn't grow or even took a loss, but NOPE record Profits.

part-timer here. NO VOTE. and yes I have been talking to every other part timer I can. Most of the people ive talked to say NO. very very little yes'...

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

The setback depends on how much you use the insurance.. If you use it only once or twice it will cost you more, or if you use it a lot it will cost you more. From the numbers I am hearing... But let me ask you, do you work for the company as a supervisor or manager? You sure sound like it. Why Should I have to pay more for my benefits that I work just as hard for???

Then you add the $3.90/ hour, LOL that is the total at the End of the 5 year agreement.
PT are only getting a .50 starting wage increase.
The total for the contract is .10 LESS total than the Last contract.. We are Working Backwards Here, while UPS keeps raising costs of shipping every year and turning record Profits, even in what is a down Economy. The USPS future is questionable. The USPS takes Billions In losses every year.. I don't care what everyone thinks the reasons for the losses are, just it isnt a profit.

We have a Local company that has not given raises in several years, BUT they also have not had any profit, taken losses and even filed for bankruptcy a couple of time.

I could understand if UPS didn't grow or even took a loss, but NOPE record Profits.

The USPS isn't much of a competitor to us - FedEx Ground is. And FedEx has a 20% profit margin on its Ground division. With shippers beginning to bulk at increased rates -- why do you think SurePost has exploded -- it's naive to believe that UPS can keep hiking its rates up as much as they have been, and keep "getting away" with it. Especially if FedEx doesn't follow suit. You have to remember that UPS's profit is accumulated by multiple employee groups -- logistics, supply chain, international ... we got our share this contract, no doubt.

I think the negotiated raise is more than fair for FT (who will be earning between $80K-$100K in just five years). I think the new benefits are fair. What I have a problem with is the lack of a catch up raise for PT.

A

anonymous6

for a company that pounds it into our heads to "Get The Big Picture" they sure don't practice what they preach. ( as usual )

with a "part-timers are a dime a dozen" mentality, it will definitely bite them in the butt in years to come. then they will be scratching their heads and be asking ..." what happened to our market share?"