For Partners-EES results. Surprised?

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
I am wondering if any other Management Teams have reviewed your EES results? Were you surprised at some of the results? Overall the replies went as I thought they would, but some areas surprised me. I felt like the survey was worded in many ways to make it hard to negatively rate the actions and policies of Corporate without giving your immediate Sup/Manager a bad rating. I'm sure that was a tactical decision.

Lemvil

I instructed my employees to answer the EES honestly and don't worry about the score that I received. A low score, what's it matter? My raise is going to be non-existent anyway. A high score, won't result in a higher raise or any type of promotion. I do not feel the EES score matters to the sup/mgr any longer as it has no impact on raises or promotions.
My employees lowest scores were in compensation and promotion…any surprise there? UPS no longer cares about anyone under the old designation of level 20. The past few years, more is expected, but there is no compensation increase for the increased responsibilities. Plus, I can't recall a supervisor being promoted to manager or a manager promoted to controller over the past few years. Funny, I have seen a number of UPSers promoted to Vice President. Too costly to promote sups/mgrs but we can always create another V.P.
For the first time my controller received a low score in a number of areas including compensation and career development. Used to be the controller always received a high score but not this year. I think the employees in my area were actually honest in their opinions.
But what will it matter? Is corporate going to change their response to the EES? Will they care about lower scores? The only "score" that matters right now is the share price and we are at an all time high. So corporate is going to say that what they are doing is correct. Who can argue right now with this logic?
I believe it will be down the road that the impacts to the company in terms of employee moral will be felt. But it will take 5 to 10 years and by that time all of our current "leaders" will be retired, living the good life. The company they leave behind will not be the same.

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
I agree it won't affect our raise, so I wasn't looking at it in that way. I think what I saw was frustration at District Level and Higher decisions. Someone asked me if I felt that my position is secure, and I said absolutely! They keep cutting mid level positions out, expanding the regions and districts which just pushes more down on the front-line supervisors.

jeepguy63

I instructed my employees to answer the EES honestly and don't worry about the score that I received. A low score, what's it matter? My raise is going to be non-existent anyway. A high score, won't result in a higher raise or any type of promotion. I do not feel the EES score matters to the sup/mgr any longer as it has no impact on raises or promotions.
My employees lowest scores were in compensation and promotion…any surprise there? UPS no longer cares about anyone under the old designation of level 20. The past few years, more is expected, but there is no compensation increase for the increased responsibilities. Plus, I can't recall a supervisor being promoted to manager or a manager promoted to controller over the past few years. Funny, I have seen a number of UPSers promoted to Vice President. Too costly to promote sups/mgrs but we can always create another V.P.
For the first time my controller received a low score in a number of areas including compensation and career development. Used to be the controller always received a high score but not this year. I think the employees in my area were actually honest in their opinions.
But what will it matter? Is corporate going to change their response to the EES? Will they care about lower scores? The only "score" that matters right now is the share price and we are at an all time high. So corporate is going to say that what they are doing is correct. Who can argue right now with this logic?
I believe it will be down the road that the impacts to the company in terms of employee moral will be felt. But it will take 5 to 10 years and by that time all of our current "leaders" will be retired, living the good life. The company they leave behind will not be the same.

Nicely thought out. I agree with your thoughts, just have to correct one fact. There have been three managers promoted to controllers.... Great Lakes, twice, and just recently in Mid Atlantic.

With a high stock price, and management turnover following the 20-30 year trend, there is no reason to change anything regarding compensation.

airops

You are correct if retention is your goal. But you are all wrong if motivation is the goal. How many management people do just enough to get by? The more that is taken away the less people care. We don't leave because we are in the pension trap. But our decisions or lack of decisions cost the company tons. It's working out now for the company in the stock price. But time will tell if this is going to working in the long run. I can say that I was a lot more motivated and productive when I felt like a partner.

TxRoadDawg

far as stock forget us being at an all time high. have we really out performed the market on OUR merit or are we just being dragged higher because its the only game in town paying over 1% return on investment at the moment. perhaps Atlanta should figure the answer to that question and what happens when teh bubble does go pop...

Lemvil

Airops, did you listen to the recent conference call where the expectations for MIP was discussed. Don't use the stock price as an indicator of MIP. Too many areas where we are measured are underperforming. I would wager that the stock price will be used as a reward for our top executives. What is good for one part of management is not good for the other part. Also, seems like a lot of silence regarding the EES results from Atlanta. To me this says a great deal about the results.

airops

Another month and still nothing on the EES. Guess we see how our views are valued. Maybe 2014 will bring some changes. My guess is the only changes we will see will be cutbacks. Got to pay for peak 2013 somehow. Anyone want to guess when the 2013 EES will be addressed? I was told many months ago that I had one week to review the results with each of my employees. I think it went "they took the time to complete the survey. We need to let them know we care."

Merry Christmas

Ouch

I didnt think any management employees had decision making abilities. Im not bashing here I just thought yalls hands were tied. Everything goes by the price of stock. Seems like to me you guys are like puppets. No matter how stupid you think something is, the answer is always yes sir. This company was a lot better when we could go to management and discuss an issue and have the manager make a decision. Seems to me that power has been taken away from you guys and they have converted yall to robots. Dont take this the wrong way, but nobody in management seems to stand up to anyone that has decision making capabilities.

UPS1907

I didnt think any management employees had decision making abilities. Im not bashing here I just thought yalls hands were tied. Everything goes by the price of stock. Seems like to me you guys are like puppets. No matter how stupid you think something is, the answer is always yes sir. This company was a lot better when we could go to management and discuss an issue and have the manager make a decision. Seems to me that power has been taken away from you guys and they have converted yall to robots. Dont take this the wrong way, but nobody in management seems to stand up to anyone that has decision making capabilities.

I take offense at that. BEEP BEEP. I know how to make decisions. BEEP BEEP.

Ouch

[quote="UPS1907, post: 1247146, member: 4I take offense at that. BEEP BEEP. I know how to make decisions. BEEP BEEP.[/quote]
Like I stated not bashing here. Dont take offense thats not what I meant. Back in the day sups and center manager's played a huge part in making decisions everyone benefitted from. Just seems to me here as of late it has become a yes man company. Apologies if I offended you.

UPS1907

[quote="UPS1907, post: 1247146, member: 4I take offense at that. BEEP BEEP. I know how to make decisions. BEEP BEEP.
Like I stated not bashing here. Dont take offense thats not what I meant. Back in the day sups and center manager's played a huge part in making decisions everyone benefitted from. Just seems to me here as of late it has become a yes man company. Apologies if I offended you.[/quote]

I was joking BEEP BEEP (robot).. lol. None taken.

TheFigurehead

Well, if it's like any other place I've worked, once they see that the questions they ask don't get them a response they like, they'll just stop asking them.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well, if it's like any other place I've worked, once they see that the questions they ask don't get them a response they like, they'll just stop asking them.
Maybe now but for many years the Question:
Do you know what it takes to get promoted? (Or something like that)
got the worst numbers.

It was like a joke when it came time to review.

Come to think of it, they did finally remove it.