for the veteran drivers

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Just wondering how sups checked up on drivers before GPS, telematics, cell phones, etc. Even with telematics GPS and computers my on car has to call me to ask where I am because I rarely follow trace. I'm one of the few in my center who never gets observed probably for that reason.

barnyard

KTM rider
When I started driving, sups had to an on area on every driver once a month or every other month. Supes were generally out of the building 3 days a week. Also, routes had a much more defined area, very rare to have an 'add' or a 'cut'. Because of that, routes were was waaaay more predictable.

Back then, it was pretty easy for a driver to walk into their truck and know where they would be when. Supes could figure that out too.

Before PAS, stops were loaded via charts. I loaded 3 cars. 2 were 'business heavy', which meant businesses in sections 1-4 and resis in 5-8. The other car had resis in 6 sections.

I must be due for an on area. I cannot remember the last one I had.

retired2000

Ups use to hire outside co. To spy on the drivers. Also the sups would ride in their car and watch us. If they did that some guys would call the cops and tell them that someone is following them.

oldngray

nowhere special
We usually knew what cars the sups drove so could spot them watching us. They would still try to be as sneaky as possible. I even had a sup that had a Cessna he would use to fly over to watch drivers (but of course he couldn't see enough to justify it. He mostly used it as an excuse to fly).

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
we had a supe years ago that was hiding in some bushes to spy on drivers at a certain intersection and a Peeping Tom call was placed by some "concerned citizens" :happy-very:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Once upon a time, long, long ago, drivers that weren't total screw-ups were actually trusted to do a good job. Interestingly, supervisors and managers were also trusted without somebody looking over their shoulder all day.

Once upon a time, long, long ago, drivers that weren't total screw-ups were actually trusted to do a good job. Interestingly, supervisors and managers were also trusted without somebody looking over their shoulder all day.

How did we ever get our jobs done? Its a dam shame , whats going on now!

wornoutupser

I had a center manager following me in a new truck a day after a cover driver had a robbery attempt on my old run.
I didn't know who it was so I called 911.
It was a BLAST to see my center manager face down on his hood!

JackStraw

If they needed to get in touch with you, they would leave a message at your pick ups to call center(collect too). Later we were all issued beepers and would have to find a phone to call.

rod

Retired 22 years
They could always find you somehow. When my Dad died I was running a rural route that averaged about 250 miles a day. It took my center manager 3 and a half hours to find me (even with law enforcement notified to be on the look out for me)----- but he did. The years I worked before cell phones and DIADS (and seat belts in commercial vehicals) were invented will always be the ones I remember the most.

Just wondering how sups checked up on drivers before GPS, telematics, cell phones, etc. Even with telematics GPS and computers my on car has to call me to ask where I am because I rarely follow trace. I'm one of the few in my center who never gets observed probably for that reason.
I'm the same way. I could always know when because I do my pickups on time.

Ouch

I called the police a couple years ago on an on car sup that was following me during peak. I told the police I was afraid that someone was stealing Christmas gifts I was leaving for customers. I remember driving by and seeing the sup outside his car being questioned and pointing at the package car as I drove by. Everytime I saw the sup I made a loud siren sound and laughed for months about it after that.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
They would always find you if it was convenient for them,,,,,but not if your father was dying or the wife was in labor ???
I gave my wife the phone numbers of some of my better customers if there ever was an emergency at home!!
Funny story, customer drove out to find me to tell me my son called her and was upset the dog fell down the stairs,,
when I called him up he also mentioned the wife broke the dogs fall and broke her arm !! Lol he was 8 they let me go home God Bless there hearts!