For Whom The Bell Tolls

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Am I the only one with a nagging feeling that one day Amazon will control all goods we need in this country and that could have scary results? I know it wouldn’t be in our time, but possibly in a few generations. Maybe I’ve watched too many futuristic movies. Lol.

Last edited:

bacha29

We talked about possibility in the past and for those who stayed up on this matter I commend you The question is how long will it take to build it out nationwide? One way they could speed the process would be to strike deals with XGround contractors when their contracts with XG expire making them free agents. For the very first time this could give contractors some bargaining power when it comes to a fair contract.
Given the likelihood that Bezos will want all the easy in town stuff leaving the other 3 with the boonie boxes it may in turn make it difficult for the others to continue to offer as generous a discount rate as in the past.
It will take time to get regulatory approval but given the current deregulatory environment it may not take as long as in the past.
If Bezos were to quickly become a major competitor grabbing market share as fast as he can handle it XG contractors can expect to be treated in an even worse fashion if such a thing is possible up until the time that they have a market of their own that will allow them to negotiate with other shipping companies.

That day can not arrive too soon.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
We talked about possibility in the past and for those who stayed up on this matter I commend you The question is how long will it take to build it out nationwide? One way they could speed the process would be to strike deals with XGround contractors when their contracts with XG expire making them free agents. For the very first time this could give contractors some bargaining power when it comes to a fair contract.
Next step for FedEx will be a non-compete clause for all contractors.

Serf

The future is Ecommerce. Assuming they can even assemble a competitive delivery service w/ good wages & healthcare. Brick & Mortar going the way of the buffalo. My question would be: Is this the death blow to postal service? I feel like only inmates and senior citizens use it.

It will be fine

The future is Ecommerce. Assuming they can even assemble a competitive delivery service w/ good wages & healthcare. Brick & Mortar going the way of the buffalo. My question would be: Is this the death blow to postal service? I feel like only inmates and senior citizens use it.
Advertising seems like the biggest use of the post office these days. They will still move plenty of packages even without Amazon. There will be plenty of companies that won't have any interest in dealing with Amazon.

bacha29

Next step for FedEx will be a non-compete clause for all contractors.
A very good point indeed and a real possibility that such a clause will be included in any new contract . In fact years ago a guy asked me what is what like to be Roadway/Fedex ground contractor. My answer. " It falls in somewhere between trendy sharecropping and politically correct slavery".

Serf

More gig economy workers I'm sure.
Part time work is the future as we transition to automation.
Millennials holding out hope that Zuckerberg becomes POTUS and issues a universal income to all permanent residents and citizens. No need to work, just click on sponsored Facebook ads all day.

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
Am I the only one with a nagging feeling that one day Amazon will control all goods we need in this country and that could have scary results? I know it wouldn’t be in our time, but possibly in a few generations. Maybe I’ve watched too many futuristic movies. Lol.

In the future, all restaurants will be Taco Bell. Everyone will have IBS.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Millennials holding out hope that Zuckerberg becomes POTUS and issues a universal income to all permanent residents and citizens. No need to work, just click on sponsored Facebook ads all day.
Maybe we should just institute a tax on complaining about millennials then we could afford to fix the country baby boomers ran into the ground.