Forced Lunch break

Upsftd125

Let me preface this by saying this is not a discussion of whether you should or you shouldn't take lunch. I for one take my full hour each day. I am just asking your thoughts on being forced to take a lunch each day. The reason I ask is because I had a conversation with a driver today who skips his lunch everyday and he made some good points and after we were told that everyone must now take at least a 30 minute lunch at our PCM. His thoughts were that if he was being forced to take a lunch, then he should be compensated for his time because it wasn't no longer his choice. He said that if you are forced for 30 minutes everyday, that you will accumulate over 5 days of time through out a year. It was interesting to hear this prospective. What are your thoughts on the subject?

JustDeliverIt

Not only is it a contractual obligation for your lunch break, it’s a DOT requirement. It’s part of the job and the runner who is skipping it daily is just looking to cut corners IMO.

542thruNthru

Let me preface this by saying this is not a discussion of whether you should or you shouldn't take lunch. I for one take my full hour each day. I am just asking your thoughts on being forced to take a lunch each day. The reason I ask is because I had a conversation with a driver today who skips his lunch everyday and he made some good points and after we were told that everyone must now take at least a 30 minute lunch at our PCM. His thoughts were that if he was being forced to take a lunch, then he should be compensated for his time because it wasn't no longer his choice. He said that if you are forced for 30 minutes everyday, that you will accumulate over 5 days of time through out a year. It was interesting to hear this prospective. What are your thoughts on the subject?
I don't see how you should be compensated for taking lunch.

Edd O'Rion

Not only is it a contractual obligation for your lunch break, it’s a DOT requirement. It’s part of the job and the runner who is skipping it daily is just looking to cut corners IMO.
No, it is NOT a contractual requirement. And if you’re in a building that doesn’t take out lunch unless it’s coded, why should we sit out there for an extra hour if we don’t want to.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
So let’s make complete sense of this. If you take a half hour a day, it will generally result in a half hour of extra time and a half pay. On average, the national top rate with cola is over $39 an hour. Lets just base this on $39 an hour.
39 X 1.5 is $58.50
$58.50 X half hour is $29.25 per day
$29.25 X 5 days a week is $146.25
$146.25 X 52 weeks a year is $7605.00. (Who wouldn’t want $7605???)
$7605 X 25 years is $190125. ($380250 if you take a full hour over 25 years…..)

Btw if you invested this into a 401K you’d make an addition 300K.

Long story short, if I told you you’d have $190125 after 25 years of taking a half hour to relax and eat a sandwich, who the eff in their right mind would say no? STOP SKIPPING YOUR LUNCH!!!!!
DONT SKIP YOUR LUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Compensated for taking a lunch?
In what world or job do you actually get paid/compensated for taking a lunch.
Doesn’t make sense.
Also don’t know how anyone can go 8-9 hours straight without actually eating a somewhat decent meal during the middle of the day to give your body energy.
Basically killing yourself slowly.
No you should not be compensated for taking a lunch and if your lunch is forced then shame on you for working for free because you’re a sucker at that point.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
So let’s make complete sense of this. If you take a half hour a day, it will generally result in a half hour of extra time and a half pay. On average, the national top rate with cola is over $39 an hour. Lets just base this on $39 an hour.
39 X 1.5 is $58.50
$58.50 X half hour is $29.25 per day
$29.25 X 5 days a week is $146.25
$146.25 X 52 weeks a year is $7605.00. (Who wouldn’t want $7605???)
$7605 X 25 years is $190125. ($380250 if you take a full hour over 25 years…..)

Btw if you invested this into a 401K you’d make an addition 300K.

Long story short, if I told you you’d have $190125 after 25 years of taking a half hour to relax and eat a sandwich, who the eff in their right mind would say no? STOP SKIPPING YOUR LUNCH!!!!!
DONT SKIP YOUR LUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not all places deduct it if it's not coded in.

PT Car Washer

Compensated for taking a lunch?
In what world or job do you actually get paid/compensated for taking a lunch.
Doesn’t make sense.
Also don’t know how anyone can go 8-9 hours straight without actually eating a somewhat decent meal during the middle of the day to give your body energy.
Basically killing yourself slowly.
No you should not be compensated for taking a lunch and if your lunch is forced then shame on you for working for free because you’re a sucker at that point.
A lot of jobs have a paid lunch break. The FT car washers in my building never punch out for their lunch breaks.