Forced lunch on Saturday??

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by DoorKnob24, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Utahloader

Utahloader Member

Our building is doing mandatory Saturdays, last Saturday I was done by 12, on my last delivery I was given a pickup in my board, I went to the stop and they told me the pickups would not be ready for another hour. I called the building and told them, they said they would switch it to another driver and for me to just head in. Soon as I hit the highway a message came in my board to take a lunch, and wait for the pickup. I called my Sup and he told me to take the lunch, even when I told him I would rather come in. (Our Saturdays are straight time and they never let anyone take a lunch.) So I figured I would take the lunch to help their numbers, that's fine with me as long as I get paid for it. Last night I looked at my time card and they took the hour lunch out of my pay. I asked why and their response was "Well you did take the lunch." (Like I had a option..) anyone have any similar issues?? Anything in that good book that can help me out?

2. sandwich

sandwich The resident gearhead

Step 1: block your supervisors number. Stop using your phone. All it does is make their job easier.

Step 2: work as directed

Step 3: you dont have to take a lunch unless your going to work over 6 hours. At least that's how it is here. Know the rules of where you work.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Take a lunch everyday

4. KOG72

KOG72 I’m full of it

But I don’t have a lunchbox

5. Utahloader

Utahloader Member

I actually like helping out the team, that would require having my sups number. I understand I don't HAVE to. I WANT to. Making their job easier is not always a bad thing. I'm pretty good with rules, but I'm also a young driver with only a couple years in. I'm not asking for a lecture, I'm asking for help. If you can't help me, keep it moving.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  6. Siveriano

Siveriano Active Member

by law you need to take a 30 minutes break if you have been on duty and driving a commercial vehicle for more than 8 hours.

7. KOG72

KOG72 I’m full of it

If you put an hour lunch in the board they are gonna take it out.If you stopped for an hour and did not work they could get you for stealing time.

8. Siveriano

Siveriano Active Member

or you can hit them with " I wanted to code 5 but now that you are making me take an hour lunch im requesting my 8 guarantee.
    Also if you come back to the building b4 your 8 hours and they send you back out, they have to pay you 1.5x for the remaining time.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Utahloader

Utahloader Member

Only worked 5

10. Utahloader

Utahloader Member

They made me stop for an hour, I didn't choose to. Plus I was waiting on a pickup.

11. MECH-lift

MECH-lift Union Brother

Quit running , make your stops last until your pickups ready ..SLOW DOWN RABBIT

12. sandwich

if you want to be a "team player" you are too weak to help yourself. So might as well just jump when they say jump.

13. Siveriano

Siveriano Active Member

next time just say, " im gonna code 5 today so no lunch, unless you guys are gonna guarantee me my 8 hours then ill take lunch."

14. Aren't you guaranteed 8?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  15. sandwich

Yes but he's too scared to ask for his 8.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  16. That's BS

17. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Not if you stay within 100 air miles of your building.

18. sandwich

He let's his supe call him on his cell. There is no way he has the testicular fortitude to ask for his 8.

19. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

You want to help out the team so that's what you did. You took a lunch. What kind of idiot thinks they would be paid for a UNPAID lunch.

Grow a set and you won't come here asking idiot questions. @sandwich gave you the best advice and you act like a child so now you'll be treated like one. I think I hear your sup calling. You better answer.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

He also took a lunch instead of telling them no. He could have easily said "Sorry but you directed me to do this pick up and I'm not hungry so I can either wait on the clock or come in."

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List