Forced lunches

1989NW

My center has never forced us to take lunches and I never have Because I have young kids that I would rather get home to as quick as possible to spend time with. A little over a month ago they decided to start forcing us to take our 30 min lunch. My route is about a 30 min drive from our center so I have been putting in my lunch after my last stop on my drive back to the center. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it. Today my sup came up to me and said that he knows that I have been putting my lunch in during my drive back to the center and that is falsifying my time card, and dishonesty. He said that I could be facing termination. Could I really lose my job for that with no warnings at all? Shouldn't they at least tell me first "hey don't do that"

Last edited:
My center has never forced us to take lunches and I never have Because I have young kids that I would rather get home to as quick as possible to spend time with. A little over a month ago they decided to start forcing us to take our 30 min lunch. My route is about a 30 min drive from our center so I have been putting in my lunch after my last stop on my drive back to the center. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it. Today my sup came up to me and said that he knows that I have been putting my lunch in during my drive back to the center and that is falsifying my time card, and dishonesty. He said that I could be facing termination. Could I really lose my job for that with no warnings at all?
Yes

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
My center has never forced us to take lunches and I never have Because I have young kids that I would rather get home to as quick as possible to spend time with. A little over a month ago they decided to start forcing us to take our 30 min lunch. My route is about a 30 min drive from our center so I have been putting in my lunch after my last stop on my drive back to the center. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it. Today my sup came up to me and said that he knows that I have been putting my lunch in during my drive back to the center and that is falsifying my time card and that I could be facing termination. Could I really lose my job for that with no warnings at all?
Does the DOT have jurisdiction over this? You need to find out.

What size vehicle are you driving?

Does your route go over 150 miles "as the crow flies"?

Was there litigation in your state dealing with this?

Have you called your union business agent to find out if this is truly a fireable offense...driving a commercial vehicle during a time out in your ELD (DIAD)?

What does your steward say?
What does your contract say?

Why are you driving during your "lunch" time out period and how long does it take to RTB on an average day?

Last edited:

542thruNthru

My center has never forced us to take lunches and I never have Because I have young kids that I would rather get home to as quick as possible to spend time with. A little over a month ago they decided to start forcing us to take our 30 min lunch. My route is about a 30 min drive from our center so I have been putting in my lunch after my last stop on my drive back to the center. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it. Today my sup came up to me and said that he knows that I have been putting my lunch in during my drive back to the center and that is falsifying my time card, and dishonesty. He said that I could be facing termination. Could I really lose my job for that with no warnings at all?

Question...

What do you think your discipline would be if you were to get in a accident on your way back to your building while on your lunch?

Think about it.

rod

Retired 22 years
That's how I look at it. So why would they care.
WHY would you do that. You like your kids but on the other hand you are taking money from them by not working per contract. The kids will still be there a half our later. I certainly hope you didn't go after a drivers job expecting 9 to 5 hours.

Last edited:

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Question...

What do you think your discipline would be if you were to get in a accident on your way back to your building while on your lunch?

Think about it.
Is this a trick question?
uOCQoF.gif

1989NW

Why don't you ask him if you can come in early and take lunch before work. At least you would be honest then.
Yes that's a good idea and I will ask him that. But I am just surprised that he would say termination before just telling me hey you can't do that, don't do that anymore. If he would have said that then I would have stopped. I didn't know that it was an issue. I thought they wouldn't care

542thruNthru

Yes that's a good idea and I will ask him that. But I am just surprised that he would say termination before just telling me hey you can't do that, don't do that anymore. If he would have said that then I would have stopped. I didn't know that it was an issue. I thought they wouldn't care

He did tell you to stop. He told you also what the consequences are if you don't.

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
He wouldn’t tell you. You were making his numbers look good.