Forced off TAW

mreed171

Was told I was not allowed to stay on TAW after 13 days. Was forced to go on work comp but there was still other drivers on TAW that have exceeded the 30 days. One of the drivers is on his 65th day. Do I have a grievance???

P

pickup

1100$$ a week vs 561$$ a week

Those numbers might be part of the answer why you are being pushed onto comp. Management might have come to the conclusion that you are irreparably damaged and that you will end up on workman's comp anyway.They might feel that they might as well get you into that program now as opposed to the inevitable(their belief) later so that it can play out to the end and you are on the sidelines with your lump sum payout from the comp fund( down the road).

Management only puts people on TAW to avoid going into the workman's comp fund which raises UPS's rating with the fund(i.e how much they have to pay into it per period). They might feel you are going into it no matter what so they might as well stop paying you money for sitting in a rubber room.

This is a possibility but it is all conjecture on my part. I don't know every circumstance of this situation

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If you can perform the taw...you are allowed up to 30 days TAW before they can force you out on comp. Similar thing happened to me....DM and Safety Manager above DM kept pushing for me to go out on comp after 14 days of TAW...until I contacted an attorney. Talk to your BA and steward...BA should have the name of a comp lawyer for you to call.

barnyard

KTM rider
In my case, I was cut off TAW when my Dr said I had to have surgery. There was no point continuing TAW, as it was not going to be a path back to work.

Is this really a disability case??? If the drunk hit the OP off the job, UPS does not have any TAW responsibilities and this is a disability case. If this is going to disability, I see the problem. Disability pays far less than comp. Also, if it is an off the job injury, UPS does not have to find work for you until the Dr releases you with no restrictions.

If this is an off the job case, the OP will be wanting to look into FMLA time off. The OP should also have an attorney to sue the person that caused the accident.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I hurt my shoulder at work on April 25. They put me on TAW at this time. The company thought I could fix it thru therapy only. I was on TAW until July 15. The day I told them I was going to have surgery after all, their attitude changed and they put me on comp and told me to call them once a week. Is there a prescribed limit on TAW?

mreed171

In my case, I was cut off TAW when my Dr said I had to have surgery. There was no point continuing TAW, as it was not going to be a path back to work.

Is this really a disability case??? If the drunk hit the OP off the job, UPS does not have any TAW responsibilities and this is a disability case. If this is going to disability, I see the problem. Disability pays far less than comp. Also, if it is an off the job injury, UPS does not have to find work for you until the Dr releases you with no restrictions.

If this is an off the job case, the OP will be wanting to look into FMLA time off. The OP should also have an attorney to sue the person that caused the accident.
No this was on the job in the UPS truck!!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Was told I was not allowed to stay on TAW after 13 days. Was forced to go on work comp but there was still other drivers on TAW that have exceeded the 30 days. One of the drivers is on his 65th day. Do I have a grievance???

Talk to your Local, and file a grievance. If someone is on TAW after 30 days....

The position would be considered permanent job, and then subject to Local bidding procedures.

-Bug-

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

I assumed the accident happened on the clock. UPS rarely gives TAW for off the job injuries.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
If you can perform the taw...you are allowed up to 30 days TAW before they can force you out on comp. Similar thing happened to me....DM and Safety Manager above DM kept pushing for me to go out on comp after 14 days of TAW...until I contacted an attorney. Talk to your BA and steward...BA should have the name of a comp lawyer for you to call.
Mr.Goldstein perhaps

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I hurt my shoulder at work on April 25. They put me on TAW at this time. The company thought I could fix it thru therapy only. I was on TAW until July 15. The day I told them I was going to have surgery after all, their attitude changed and they put me on comp and told me to call them once a week. Is there a prescribed limit on TAW?

Normally no more than 30 days.