Forced onto a route I dislike!

satellitedriver

And btw, I though satellite guys took the PC home, than drove it to the meet point and loaded it. Or is that extremely rural ish?[/QUOTE]
Nope, the pkg car must be parked at a secure location.
In my case, it is an open gravel parking lot of a tire store
UPS pays them $3 a day for the parking spot.
The insurance liability of parking a package car at home would be very prohibitive.

top dollar

They are talking about putting three more sat routes in my building. A different center, but from the word going around is no one wants them! I guess we will see! There are two other sat routes in another center in my building and those guys love it! But they also live close to the routes!

The Milkman

Welcome to UPS. Get used to it. Its all about doing things you really dislike. I think that's why they call it work. Did I read your post correctly? You are being forced to do that route? From what I understand forced labor was abolished during the Lincoln administration. Talk to your union steward. Maybe he can help you and do something about the anti-slavery laws. I doubt it but its worth a shot if you hate it that much.

Seriously. Really guy? $31.20/hour in an economy where jobs are scarce and you're looking for a way out of it?

I truly believe this is one of the fundamental problems with our country, i.e. everyone's sense of self entitlement. I suggest you live through the Great Depression and then get drafted to fight in WWII and then re-read your post and tell me what you think. Please.

:youreright:

gman042

Been around the block a few times
About 3 years ago. IE decided to satellite an entire valley that was serviced by our center. This was 3 full routes and involved rerouting the volume from the hub to an entirely different center where it would be loaded and then transported to the valley. IE, in all their wisdom, assumed that the original drivers for the routes would follow their work. 2 of the drivers had been on their routes for around 20 years. None of the drivers followed the work and abandon the routes. You should have seen the look on the IE guys face. Priceless.

It was about a 100 mile round trip and the drivers refused to do it. The routes where assigned from the bottom up and the areas where one of the toughest to learn. Area knowledge was extremely valuable to make the routes function efficiently but IE would not listen to reason.

Needless to say, the satellite attempt failed miserably. Within a matter of weeks, IE pulled 2 of the routes back to the original center and given back to the original drivers. Service was atrocious. Drivers delivering until 10 or 11 pm. All volume had to be re-rerouted back to the our center from the hub.

To save face, the third was left a satellite as the driver who bid it was lowest seniority and had actually moved to the valley......even though it is still not saving UPS any money.

Now.....I do know that in this center when someone covers that satellite when that driver is on vacation or sick then they are compensated for mileage. If they opt to bump the satellite driver because they are laid off then they do not receive compensation for mileage.

brownelf

perhaps this is another item to add to your contract at the local level, bring the issue up at the demands meeting for discussion. More likely to get that thru as a local issue rather than a national one, as it's not something that would get much attention on a national level. We have many items in our local rider for the special issues in our local, worth the shot.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In our area, anyone who is forced to run a satellite route is paid for the time and mileage it takes to get there. You cannot be forced to work out of a different location.

Our satellite centers are slowly being disbanded and brought back to the building anyway. They have cost the company time and money ever since they were implemented. Local management always knew they wouldnt work, but the IE idiot in his cubicle demanded them anyway.

gman042

If you bid a satellite then you agree to drive to or relocate to the satellite area.....on your own nickel.

over9five

Staff member
If you bid a satellite then you agree to drive to or relocate to the satellite area.....on your own nickel.
What if you are the bottom man, it's your turn to bid, and this is the only job available?

If you refuse to bid, they would assign you to it. Does this mean you'd get the travel pay?

Just curious....

soberups

What if you are the bottom man, it's your turn to bid, and this is the only job available?

If you refuse to bid, they would assign you to it. Does this mean you'd get the travel pay?

Just curious....

Our bid language is different from yours.

Here, once you bid a route its yours forever. Routes only come available for bid when the employee retires, transfers into feeder, bids something else, voluntarily surrenders it, or when volume growth creates a new route (defined as a route that is in for an average of 3 days per week in a 30 day period, excluding peak).

The bottom 30-40% of our driver workforce in terms of seniority are "unassigned". They do not have bid routes of their own. They cover vacations, sick calls, disability etc. We also have a few relatively high seniority drivers who are unassigned by choice; their seniority allows them to pick and choose which available routes they will run on a daily basis.

We do not have "casuals" here. All of our drivers achieve full seniority with full wages once they make it through their 30 day probationary period and subsequent progression.

If you are an unassigned driver and you are instructed to run one of the satellite routes, the company is obliged to pay you from your normal start time and either provide a package car for you to drive out to the satellite center from the home center, or else mileage pay for the difference between your normal commute and your commute to the satellite location. Some drivers choose the latter so that they can get home earlier. Its up to them. Nobody can be "forced" to commute to a satellite center.

bigblu 2 you

Our bid language is different from yours.

Here, once you bid a route its yours forever. Routes only come available for bid when the employee retires, transfers into feeder, bids something else, voluntarily surrenders it, or when volume growth creates a new route (defined as a route that is in for an average of 3 days per week in a 30 day period, excluding peak).

The bottom 30-40% of our driver workforce in terms of seniority are "unassigned". They do not have bid routes of their own. They cover vacations, sick calls, disability etc. We also have a few relatively high seniority drivers who are unassigned by choice; their seniority allows them to pick and choose which available routes they will run on a daily basis.

We do not have "casuals" here. All of our drivers achieve full seniority with full wages once they make it through their 30 day probationary period and subsequent progression.

If you are an unassigned driver and you are instructed to run one of the satellite routes, the company is obliged to pay you from your normal start time and either provide a package car for you to drive out to the satellite center from the home center, or else mileage pay for the difference between your normal commute and your commute to the satellite location. Some drivers choose the latter so that they can get home earlier. Its up to them. Nobody can be "forced" to commute to a satellite center.
same here in our center.we have one and the"cost savings"is a joke.when the satellite driver is off they run the route out of the building,to keep from paying mileage.

soberups

same here in our center.we have one and the"cost savings"is a joke.when the satellite driver is off they run the route out of the building,to keep from paying mileage.

The entire idea behind satellite centers was to save mileage. In our building, mileage for the loop as a whole actually increased when the satellite centers were imposed upon us by the morons from IE. To the maroon in his cubicle, a satellite center means not paying 2 drivers to drive the entire distance from the building to the delivery area. Its a great theory from within a cubicle. In the real world however, the mileage is not saved.... it is merely transferred to others in that loop who must pull the pup trailer to and from the building or make service on the NDA that would otherwise be delivered by the driver who has the trailer and must drop it off before doing anything else. And if the satellite drivers themselves are overdispatched, they must return to the pup trailer in time to offload their pickup volume so that it can make it back to the center, and then go back out to complete their deliveries. Throw an 8 hr gurantee for any one of the involved drivers into the mix, and the logistical hurdles get even bigger. When you factor in the expense of renting a location, shuttling the cars back to the building for maintainence, equipping cars with trailer hitches, maintaining the pup trailer etc. etc....the satellite centers are a money wasting joke in many cases. Someone from IE with too much authority and not enough common sense had himself a bright idea and wrote a memo, and we have been saddled with the consequences ever since.

gman042

The entire idea behind satellite centers was to save mileage. In our building, mileage for the loop as a whole actually increased when the satellite centers were imposed upon us by the morons from IE. To the maroon in his cubicle, a satellite center means not paying 2 drivers to drive the entire distance from the building to the delivery area. Its a great theory from within a cubicle. In the real world however, the mileage is not saved.... it is merely transferred to others in that loop who must pull the pup trailer to and from the building or make service on the NDA that would otherwise be delivered by the driver who has the trailer and must drop it off before doing anything else. And if the satellite drivers themselves are overdispatched, they must return to the pup trailer in time to offload their pickup volume so that it can make it back to the center, and then go back out to complete their deliveries. Throw an 8 hr gurantee for any one of the involved drivers into the mix, and the logistical hurdles get even bigger. When you factor in the expense of renting a location, shuttling the cars back to the building for maintainence, equipping cars with trailer hitches, maintaining the pup trailer etc. etc....the satellite centers are a money wasting joke in many cases. Someone from IE with too much authority and not enough common sense had himself a bright idea and wrote a memo, and we have been saddled with the consequences ever since.

OH......YEAH! I will remember our clown's name for a good long time.