Forced ORION gives us power.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There is considerable irony in the fact that the system that supposedly makes it easier for UPS to replace us in the event of a strike could actually provide us with additional leverage in contract negotiations, if we were only willing to use it.
With the implementation of forced ORION, the union no longer needs to threaten UPS with a work stoppage. All it has to do...is declare a “100% ORION compliance week”. Think about it. There would be literally millions of service failures nationwide in the first day alone, which would begin compounding upon themselves as the entire system became clogged with billions of cubic feet of undelivered volume. All while the membership reaped 60 hour paychecks instead of facing the financial uncertainty of walking a picket line. It would be the functional equivalent of a work slowdown, but under the guise of following UPS procedures to the letter. Imagine the power we could collectively wield if we had the willingness to use UPS’s own system against them....

El Correcto

god is dead
There is considerable irony in the fact that the system that supposedly makes it easier for UPS to replace us in the event of a strike could actually provide us with additional leverage in contract negotiations, if we were only willing to use it.
With the implementation of forced ORION, the union no longer needs to threaten UPS with a work stoppage. All it has to do...is declare a “100% ORION compliance week”. Think about it. There would be literally millions of service failures nationwide in the first day alone, which would begin compounding upon themselves as the entire system became clogged with billions of cubic feet of undelivered volume. All while the membership reaped 60 hour paychecks instead of facing the financial uncertainty of walking a picket line. It would be the functional equivalent of a work slowdown, but under the guise of following UPS procedures to the letter. Imagine the power we could collectively wield if we had the willingness to use UPS’s own system against them....
How this conversation goes

Hey Wrong, I’m going to need you to follow ORION today.

I’ll have missed business and late air

No service failures!

Okay then I can’t follow ORION

Me and my manager used to do this circle once a week my first year here.

I’d rather have a warning letter for Orion numbers than warning letters for service failures.

Was kind of funny went up to two intent to terminate over Orion, getting the second one I told them they were suppose to fire me last week.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Problem is, too many drivers are unwilling to do the job using the proper methods now, short changing themselves in the wallet. Those same drivers would never go out of their way to stay out later intentionally.

Everything you mentioned should be happening now. The only way Orion will get fixed is if it is seen as a failure. Drivers making adjustments give the false illusion that it actually works.

soberups

4F776A04-B90A-4DFC-9565-0458F100ECF5.jpeg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Problem is, too many drivers are unwilling to do the job using the proper methods now, short changing themselves in the wallet. Those same drivers would never go out of their way to stay out later intentionally.

Everything you mentioned should be happening now. The only way Orion will get fixed is if it is seen as a failure. Drivers making adjustments give the false illusion that it actually works.
Which is probably in our best interest. If we run 100% and force them to fix the system then the system works and we become more easily replaceable.

soberups

Which is probably in our best interest. If we run 100% and force them to fix the system then the system works and we become more easily replaceable.
The system is not fixable.
The entire concept behind ORION...to de-skill the job and micromanage every route down to a stop-by-stop level...is fundamentally and irredeemably flawed.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The entire concept behind ORION...to de-skill the job and micromanage every route down to a stop-by-stop level...is fundamentally and irredeemably flawed.
Oh it's fixable.

It'll never be perfect but it can be fixed to an acceptable level.

soberups

Oh it's fixable.

It'll never be perfect but it can be fixed to an acceptable level.
ORION is an exercise in map theory, utilizing a glorified Traveling Salesman algorithm, that connects the dots on a map in the shortest linear distance possible.
It has absolutely nothing at all to do with the most efficient method of performing the task of a UPS driver on a route in the real world, in real time, in a real package car under real-world conditions.
The entire concept is flawed and no amount of “improvement” can change that fact.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

ORION is an exercise in map theory, utilizing a glorified Traveling Salesman algorithm, that connects the dots on a map in the shortest linear distance possible.
It has absolutely nothing at all to do with the most efficient method of performing the task of a UPS driver on a route in the real world, in real time, in a real package car under real-world conditions.
The entire concept is flawed and no amount of “improvement” can change that fact.

@soberups has always inserted experience, intelligence, and rational thoughts

into the conversation.

He didn't post for awhile.... glad to see he's back.

People could learn a thing or two.

-Bug-

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Just load the truck in Orion order. Problem solved.

WTFm8

Let's get the runner-gunners to take a full lunch and stop working off the clock first.

This.

My center tells you to do whatever it takes to qualify (sort truck on your lunch, basically drive/move at a borderline unsafe pace).

Then approach you a month or 2 after you qualify because you started having 20-30 minutes of dead-time from sorting a truck by 1pm checking for missloads, plus being an additional typical 20-40 minutes over dispatch. They start questioning why you're over dispatch time and mileage by 40 minutes to 2 hours.

Staydryitsraining

I dont understand these guys who come in every day bitching and crying trying to figure out the fastest way back the building. Follow the methods, follow orion, request a ride along to get them off your back and get a new time study on your route.

542thruNthru

This.

My center tells you to do whatever it takes to qualify (sort truck on your lunch, basically drive/move at a borderline unsafe pace).

Then approach you a month or 2 after you qualify because you started having 20-30 minutes of dead-time from sorting a truck by 1pm checking for missloads, plus being an additional typical 20-40 minutes over dispatch. They start questioning why you're over dispatch time and mileage by 40 minutes to 2 hours.

Ignore it. Tell them "I'm making adjustments to changing conditions." :)

You've quality and we do not recognize their fake numbers. Tell them don't sweat it and keep working by the methods.

JustDeliverIt

So it takes longer to do. We get paid by the hour. Having the truck loaded to Orion would solve most of the problems.

Can't do it. You get one package added to your truck 10 minutes before you roll out and it changes the entire dispatch of your day. Better off loading it RDO, everything is in the truck in relatively the same spot every day.