unloady

Hi, been lurking here for awhile. Lots of useful information and good laughs. Been a package handler for 3 years now. Im in Local 63 and management is giving the mandatory Saturday demand. I am a M-friend employee. Steward has not been present latley and I was wondering if they can require Saturdays as a normal work day. I've been hearing lots of different answers from asking around the building, some say you can't get disciplined for not working Saturday if you're scheduled that day off. Others say otherwise. Also, management states that Saturday will not be OT because its considered a "normal day"? Thanks for the responses guys, merry christmas.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Also, management states that Saturday will not be OT because its considered a "normal day"? Thanks for the responses guys, merry christmas.

That last part is interesting. We haven't fully implemented Saturday ground yet at our center so the forced Saturdays during the holidays have been OT for us.

unloady

Also, management states that Saturday will not be OT because its considered a "normal day"? Thanks for the responses guys, merry christmas.

That last part is interesting. We haven't fully implemented Saturday ground yet at our center so the forced Saturdays during the holidays have been OT for us.

It happened last peak as well. At PCM they stated that 6 day punch would be overtime and come Monday they changed it to straight time I am not really sure if grievances were filed as that i have never once worked a Saturday through my career here and have never been disciplined for not working Saturday. They have made mandatory Saturdays a big deal though since the implemantation of sat ground.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Agree to come in , but call them Sat morning and tell them there is a family emergency . ( call early to beat the rush of other doing the same )

And yes everybody works on Super ( screwed up ) Saturday .
Air drivers your day is going to be a mess. You can forget about doing a normal Sat run . You might end up as an on-car-helper , or any other hole that needs to be filled .

542thruNthru

Hi, been lurking here for awhile. Lots of useful information and good laughs. Been a package handler for 3 years now. Im in Local 63 and management is giving the mandatory Saturday demand. I am a M-friend employee. Steward has not been present latley and I was wondering if they can require Saturdays as a normal work day. I've been hearing lots of different answers from asking around the building, some say you can't get disciplined for not working Saturday if you're scheduled that day off. Others say otherwise. Also, management states that Saturday will not be OT because its considered a "normal day"? Thanks for the responses guys, merry christmas.

I believe you have a lot of the same language as my local. Here PT package handlers do not have a set Monday- Friday work week. They are told that they have to show up. They don't even have 6th day punch language either I believe. So unless you hit 40hrs it will be straight time.

unloady

Thanks for the responses guys, hopefully steward will be in tommorow. I hope peak is going semi decent for everyone aha.

Maplewood

I believe nobody has ever had worse than a warning letter for refusing Saturday or 6th punch. If UPS pushed it and it went to Arbitration and they lost.... Nobody would ever come in on Saturday again, anywhere in the country unless the wanted the money. No call/No show might be different. Just tell them you got :censored2: to do.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I believe nobody has ever had worse than a warning letter for refusing Saturday or 6th punch. If UPS pushed it and it went to Arbitration and they lost.... Nobody would ever come in on Saturday again, anywhere in the country unless the wanted the money. No call/No show might be different. Just tell them you got :censored2: to do.

I booked off when Xmas Eve was on a Saturday once.
It was forced on anyone with available hours.
No warning letter but it put a bullseye on my back.
Let's just say, the knife goes in deeper when you give them a chance to aim.

Moral of the story, Pick Your Battles

542thruNthru

I booked off when Xmas Eve was on a Saturday once.
It was forced on anyone with available hours.
No warning letter but it put a bullseye on my back.
Let's just say, the knife goes in deeper when you give them a chance to aim.

Moral of the story, Pick Your Battles

That's why I never stop moving! Wa-da-ta my damie.
NJWj4.gif

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
My BA and stewards were handing out flyers in the center this morning stating nobody could be forced in this Saturday if they were not the normal T-S drivers.
Management was begging people to come in this weekend. Got the "this is the fourth quarter and we need all hands in the game speech".

I'm staying on the bench to keep my 35 years of not working a weekend goal intact.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
My local, too. If that is your 6th consecutive workday, you will be paid 1.5x regular rate. Contractually, you are to be given 24 hours notice of a start time change. They will argue this to their benefit. You can argue that you were scheduled m-friend. Either way, call the local and your BA.

Dr.Brownz

Just call in sick though you won't get holiday pay without a doctors note.

barnyard

KTM rider
I am guessing that anyone with available hours will be scheduled to work in our building this Saturday. We were way up on stops today, during PCM the boss said that 85k pieces were held at Louisville because all the planes were full. I suspect that Saturday will be a 10 hour day.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I am guessing that anyone with available hours will be scheduled to work in our building this Saturday. We were way up on stops today, during PCM the boss said that 85k pieces were held at Louisville because all the planes were full. I suspect that Saturday will be a 10 hour day.
That's what, about 2 packages per driver?

Fire Ball

M-friend drivers forced to work on a Saturday = OT, Just like the T-S drivers force to work on Mondays = OT.
After the You are instructed to work Saturday with response required..I paged back in that I need to be off by 2pm.