Forced Sixth Punch for Part-Timers?

wilberforce15

Can a part-timer be required to work six days?

A midnight shift, normally Sun-Thurs, is suddenly requiring a Saturday sort and calling it "mandatory."

There are dozens of guys that have second and third jobs already on the weekends. Both their second employer and UPS are threatening discipline or firing for not showing up.

People build their entire lives and schedules around the workdays and hours for these jobs, and you can't just make a day up out of thin air to require. The jobs were compatible, and then UPS almost makes these guys choose which job they get to keep.

542thruNthru

A midnight shift, normally Sun-Thurs, is suddenly requiring a Saturday sort and calling it "mandatory."

There are dozens of guys that have second and third jobs already on the weekends. Both their second employer and UPS are threatening discipline or firing for not showing up.

People build their entire lives and schedules around the workdays and hours for these jobs, and you can't just make a day up out of thin air to require. The jobs were compatible, and then UPS almost makes these guys choose which job they get to keep.

Call out sick

wilberforce15

Call out sick

They've been threatening to call that job abandonment. Which won't stick. But they're fired up enough it may get a bit ugly, and I don't have the greatest faith in my union leadership.

And, some of these guys, through their own fault, are a little bit into the discipline process for other things and this could tip some scales.

542thruNthru

They've been threatening to call that job abandonment. Which won't stick. But they're fired up enough it may get a bit ugly, and I don't have the greatest faith in my union leadership.

And, some of these guys, through their own fault, are a little bit into the discipline process for other things and this could tip some scales.

They can call it job abandonment all they want but you called in and have a record of it. It's also peak and won't fire you for it and if they do enjoy the back pay. No local is going to lose that case.

Also if it came down to losing my second job. I think I'd be so stressed out I'd get a back injury and have to go on work comp for the rest of peak. :)

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

What supplement are you covered by ?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What supplement are you covered by ?
Who cares?

Isn't it about time that the Company and Union recognize that a part time employee doesn't have the same level of commitment as a full time employee??

By definition, doesn't "part time" imply that these employees have other interests outside their prescribed shift and regular hours???

gorilla75jdw

Unless they come to your residence, put a gun to your head and " force you to come to work" , you are not forced in . Wtf , think for yourself .

Ybware1

Who cares?

Isn't it about time that the Company and Union recognize that a part time employee doesn't have the same level of commitment as a full time employee??

By definition, doesn't "part time" imply that these employees have other interests outside their prescribed shift and regular hours???
I've been a part time air driver with a bid airport shuttle/deliver job Mon-Fri for 13 years and I'm the top seniority Part-Time air driver in our center. I'm still being forced to work every Saturday. I volunteer most Saturdays, but would like to have one off on occasion to have a full weekend with my family. Doesn't the union have an obligation to force the company to hire/qualify more people in a given position in order to protect the members from having to work excess? The money is great, the Saturday work is easy, but the kids don't stay kids for long.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I've been a part time air driver with a bid airport shuttle/deliver job Mon-Fri for 13 years and I'm the top seniority Part-Time air driver in our center. I'm still being forced to work every Saturday. I volunteer most Saturdays, but would like to have one off on occasion to have a full weekend with my family. Doesn't the union have an obligation to force the company to hire/qualify more people in a given position in order to protect the members from having to work excess? The money is great, the Saturday work is easy, but the kids don't stay kids for long.
The union is obligated to take money from you each month.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Sounds like you and “some of these guys”

Better go to work

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
watch

22.34life

He is asking because supplement language is different.in the south they cant force u to work a 6th punch which is what Thursday would be if u report on Saturday. Is this a special sort or a permanent schedule change?

22.34life

My guess is the company is trying to see how many fools they can convince they have to come Saturday,then when Thursday comes and those same fools say hey I dont have to come in they will say Saturday was never mandatory it was extra work.

Blazian81

thats why ups turnover ratio will always and forever to continue to be high smdh