Forced to Move Spots

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
Hello everyone.

Looking for some advice on this topic. I have been with ups 11 YRS and have loaded for 3 and picked off for the last 8. I am being forced tomorrow to switch to pick off on a new penn. I understand picking off is the same all around but it is the complete opposite facing of what I have done. I don't want to reteach myself the muscle memory of the opposite of everything I know, do I have a fight or can they force me to move. My union steward is out of town and thats why I am looking for some advice on this topic.
Thank you

Overpaid Union Thug

Hello everyone.

Looking for some advice on this topic. I have been with ups 11 YRS and have loaded for 3 and picked off for the last 8. I am being forced tomorrow to switch to pick off on a new penn. I understand picking off is the same all around but it is the complete opposite facing of what I have done. I don't want to reteach myself the muscle memory of the opposite of everything I know, do I have a fight or can they force me to move. My union steward is out of town and thats why I am looking for some advice on this topic.
Thank you
There is language that states that you can't select a specific unit or load (or something like that) but also language about "Preferred Jobs". It's confusing.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hello everyone.

Thank you
If they are replacing your old position with someone with less seniority.. you could try filing a past practice grievance.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
"New Penn"? Are you being moved from LVD to HVD or weakside to strongside on the same belt?
If so, there's not much you can do other than work as instructed.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
Yes the other pickoff has less seniority than me, he wants to stay where he is and I want to stay where I am. They just like to mess with people.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
ok. then no I am moving to a completely different penn facing the opposite direction of how I face now. Thats my frustration do not want to relearn the muscle memory I have become accustomed to

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Past practice only works if the language is silent on an issue.
Pickoff (high volume sorter for preload) positions are not considered "preferred" jobs in my local. There is no specific contract language. Past practice has always been....highest seniority loaders in the center gets the HV positions.

Last edited:

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
I will have to check with my steward on the past practices and see if I can take it anywhere. Pickoffs in my local are considered preferred jobs so not sure if it makes any difference or not on what they are doing.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I wonder if being right or left handed make a difference? For me, picking off on the right always seemed more natural.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
ok. then no I am moving to a completely different penn facing the opposite direction of how I face now. Thats my frustration do not want to relearn the muscle memory I have become accustomed to

You know, there's a reason why its called "work" and not "I get to do whatever I want when I punch in" time.

Good luck with that.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
This topic had nothing to do with getting to do whatever I want Piedmont but thanks for your comment. All I am sayong is that its not that east to undue your muscle memory not sure if you even know what that is.

browner89

If you both just really suck at your new positions what do you suppose will happen?

The union will protect them for sabotaging the move to get what they want is what will happen.

Unless you were really just suggesting they might suck at it are in incapable of learning it, despite not particularly wanting to.