Forced to stay to help clean up

Flint

Greetings one and all.

Due to the over abundance of volume today, they told all pre-loeaders that they could not leave. My trucks were loaded and the belt stopped, so and I clocked out at 9:30 AM and left. I was already late leaving to my primary job.

I wasn't the only one who left. Probably doesn't make a difference. My supervisor told me that I can't let me go and as I walked out, another supervisor told me that it would be job abandonment and I would be fired tomorrow when I came in.

My question is, can UPS force you to stay and clean up? Am I at risk of getting fired?

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Greetings one and all.

Due to the over abundance of volume today, they told all pre-loeaders that they could not leave. My trucks were loaded and the belt stopped, so and I clocked out at 9:30 AM and left. I was already late leaving to my primary job.

I wasn't the only one who left. Probably doesn't make a difference. My supervisor told me that I can't let me go and as I walked out, another supervisor told me that it would be job abandonment and I would be fired tomorrow when I came in.

My question is, can UPS force you to stay and clean up? Am I at risk of getting fired?
they can but they wont, most likely a write up

Nah
Greetings one and all.

Yes they can. Most likely, this time of year, they're just puffing up their chests though. If anyone does say anything, demand a steward and say nothing until you have one.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Greetings one and all.

Yes ups can fire you for that. Ups doesn’t care about your primary job. Ups cares about ups. Do not talk to them without a steward present.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Greetings one and all.

Yes and yes.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Greetings one and all.

YOU ARE TOAST

Air Recovery

Just to repeat what's already been said they can fire you but it's peak so I would be shocked if they actually did - they need more bodies not less. There is a reason my center's fleet leaves at 10:15am - not enough time, bodies or space. They wont fire you

MattM

Is this your first issue of job abandonment? Any other write ups or attendance issues? Did they know about your other job? How high up is your seniority?

This happened twice in my building. One set of guys got a swift warning to never do it again. Another time, the guy got 'fired', but the union fought for his job back and he got it back.

Days

If you already punched out, you need to tell them that. And then tell them that you’ll stay longer but they need to adjust your hours accordingly which they most likely will not do correctly.

It walks a thin line between working off the clock and job abandonment. I’m pretty sure if other people had already left, they can’t really discipline you without also disciplining the others or it would be considered harassment

Flint

Turns out that no one was talked to about not staying to help clean up. They have not told anyone that they could not leave the hub since.

Thanks for all the replies.