Forced to work

PT with a life

I am a preloader who went to driving school and now a pt air driver. As I am just a part timer I have another full time job outside of company. My question is..
Can i be forced to shuttle air? I was recently told if i didnt come back to center hours after shift end to shuttle late air, that I shouldnt come back to work Monday. I took that to mean i was fired. I lost 2 days of work this week due to this situation, as well as lost more money than i made driving. Can anyone help me with some answers and how to handle this situation?

km3

I am a preloader who went to driving school and now a pt air driver. As I am just a part timer I have another full time job outside of company. My question is..
Can i be forced to shuttle air? I was recently told if i didnt come back to center hours after shift end to shuttle late air, that I shouldnt come back to work Monday. I took that to mean i was fired. I lost 2 days of work this week due to this situation, as well as lost more money than i made driving. Can anyone help me with some answers and how to handle this situation?

Call your union hall.

You better watch out, you may be in violation of DOT hours.

PT with a life

I watch that closely. Since usually i am am air driver its not usually an issue. Our center Steward is currently out for medical issue. Just need to know if i can refuse to shuttle air since my primary job is preload. Am i wrong to believe that air driving is voluntary since i am only part time?

I watch that closely. Since usually i am am air driver its not usually an issue. Our center Steward is currently out for medical issue. Just need to know if i can refuse to shuttle air since my primary job is preload. Am i wrong to believe that air driving is voluntary since i am only part time?
You would think that they would work with you on this situation. I can't see them firing you for that, they may just not use you as an air driver in the future.

LeadBelly

Banned
Language on this differs from supplement. I would call your BA to work it out.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Work as directed or quit, it doesn't get any better.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

He should be able to quit air exception work without quitting UPS since it is extra work.
Yes, you are correct. Key word SHOULD. Wonder why he went to driving school and ups spent the time , money to train him but now he doesn't want to work? Smh

km3

Yes, you are correct. Key word SHOULD. Wonder why he went to driving school and ups spent the time , money to train him but now he doesn't want to work? Smh

It's possible he signed up for Saturday Air, and they forced him to start doing Air Exception too. Or, as Saturday Ground was phased in and Air phased out, they switched him to Exception...without telling him.

We don't have Sat. Ground yet, but 90% of the Exception drivers that are run on weekdays are Sat. drivers being offered a little extra work, provided they can get the job done. They don't force it, though.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
This may be a gross oversimplification, but just lose or tear up your DOT card.

You cannot drive their vehicles without it, and since they like to constantly remind us that "you are responsible for keeping it current, etc." and it's renewed on YOUR time and not theirs, there is nothing they can do but have you go back to the preload.

GenericUsername

Ah, this is fun. I was an air driver on Saturday and every time they had the opportunity to shuttle air, they'd just ask. Being a PTer, you can tell em to go pound salt during the week if all you signed up for was Saturdays. If they want to have you shuttle air every day, they need to schedule you accordingly. But seeing you're a preloader, your shift is over at 9 (or whatever time). If it's hours later as you're talking about, tell them you're busy with your other job/whatever and can't come back. They should've asked you while on shift.

PT with a life

Heres a wrench. They asked me to fill in for airport shuttle because that bidded position is open due to pt driver going ft. However it hasnt been posted yet. So therefore i am not bound to a bid. But they act as if i am. I am a preloader and a sat driver only. My main question still is can they fire me for refusing shuttle?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I thought that you were talking about shuttling late air.

Yes, if you agreed to do the daily airport shuttle, you are obligated to follow through until the bid has been awarded.