Forged initials/signatures on Supervisor's paperwork?

Sorter

That guy.
I work on a sort aisle in a hub in a relatively large city.

Last week I discovered, in plain view, a 'Package Handling Audit' sheet that had about eight employees names on it. Next to each name, it stated that a certain number of packages had been 'audited' by our part-time supervisor with the number of 'mishandled' packages noted.

Next to this, all of our 'initials' had been written in; all in the same handwriting. I asked some of the employees that were on the sheet if they had signed thier initials on this particular document. They all said "What paper? I didn't sign anything."

Moreover, our supervisor did not discuss any 'mishandling of packages' with any of us, to my knowledge. We all try our best to handle every package correctly. Sometimes though, when the PD belts are stopped for minutes at a time and we get stacked up, there's not much we can do.

What's going on here? Is this document something that can be filed to come back and bite us in the butt later or am I just overreacting to normal managerial paper waste?

This makes me wonder what kinds of other paperwork is being produced behind the scenes regarding hourly employees.

Keep an eye out.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Last week I discovered, in plain view, a 'Package Handling Audit' sheet that had about eight employees names on it. Next to each name, it stated that a certain number of packages had been 'audited' by our part-time supervisor with the number of 'mishandled' packages noted.

Next to this, all of our 'initials' had been written in; all in the same handwriting. I asked some of the employees that were on the sheet if they had signed thier initials on this particular document. They all said "What paper? I didn't sign anything."

Moreover, our supervisor did not discuss any 'mishandling of packages' with any of us, to my knowledge. We all try our best to handle every package correctly. Sometimes though, when the PD belts are stopped for minutes at a time and we get stacked up, there's not much we can do.

What's going on here? Is this document something that can be filed to come back and bite us in the butt later or am I just overreacting to normal managerial paper waste?

This makes me wonder what kinds of other paperwork is being produced behind the scenes regarding hourly employees.

Keep an eye out.

Sounds like your sup did a SWM (safe work methods) on your aisle. I do not know why they would forge your intials. Remember, when doing a SWM audit, the supervisor MUST find at least a certain number of issues with each audit. You cannot possibly do your job perfectly in the eyes of UPS.

Chances are if it was a forgery it is because they just wanted to get it done and validate their existance for the day without all the hoops to jump through and riff-raff with the hourlies (i.e. FT sup putting pressure on PT sup to actually show they are doing work outside of the typical micromanagement balogna). :peaceful:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Sorter ....... have a talk with a few of your tight buddies before the start of work & PLAN A DRAMATIC SLOW DOWN FOR AN HOUR!!! This will get the supe dweebs attention! then tell him how you all feel a little stressed about the ""paper you never signed'' this will get his attention!! dont tell every one,just the few you can trust & would'nt be a ratfink!! {God knows there are plenty of those } good luck & report back asap soldier....

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
before the start of work & PLAN A DRAMATIC SLOW DOWN FOR AN HOUR
That will get you fired in a heart beat if you get caught. With no help from the union in getting your job back either.

Classic case of two wrongs dont make a right, or solve the problem.

Instead, take a couple of the ones that are affected and approach the sup with your concern. Take a steward with you. Ask to see the paperwork and make a copy for your file.

If the sup is not willing to discuss the issue, then go to the next sup up the chain.

My guess is that the sheet is used for training and verification issues. The sup watches you for a time, and makes notes as to what he sees that is being done incorrectly. He then is supposed to cover that information with you in detail, and you initial the paper saying that he did speak with you on the subject. At least that is the way they do it here.

Now, my guess is also that 1 he did not cover it with you, but instead initialed it saying he did (lying and filing a false report) or 2 you refused to sign (happens a lot) and he initialed it saying he covered it with you. In this case, it should be his initials, not yours. So again, he is falsifying records.

Might be he was told to do it wrong, or just taking a short cut and did it wrong.

Either way, get it documented with a copy to your file at home, and get it stopped.

d

tieguy

Banned

Keep an eye out.

sounds like the sup is doing a paper job on a required package handling audit. Ask him about it.

bsmart

Sorter ....... have a talk with a few of your tight buddies before the start of work & PLAN A DRAMATIC SLOW DOWN FOR AN HOUR!!! This will get the supe dweebs attention! then tell him how you all feel a little stressed about the ""paper you never signed'' this will get his attention!! dont tell every one,just the few you can trust & would'nt be a ratfink!! {God knows there are plenty of those } good luck & report back asap soldier....

That is awesome advice... instead of doing the rational thing like use the tools that are provided to you( i.e. get the steward and look at your employee record) just pitch a fit like a little baby and expect someone to respond accordingly

whiskey

God knows... but, what would Jesus do?

KidUPS

If this is true, and the paperwork was not initialed "RTS", then it appears as if this supervisor does not have the backbone to hold his people accountable. Plain and simple. And the company needs to sternly discipline this employee. Perhaps take away his operation or give him a 1 day suspension. Now this should only be done if he actually turned this paper in and or filed and informed his full time supervisor that the paperwork was complete.

Also, I notice you stated the paperwork was in plain view...I find it hard that a supervisor would leave paperwork around with forged signatures. Are you sure it was in "plain view"? I just hope it was because I have seen employees disciplined for looking through paperwork left on a desk or table or station by a supervisor.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If this is true, and the paperwork was not initialed "RTS", then it appears as if this supervisor does not have the backbone to hold his people accountable. Plain and simple. And the company needs to sternly discipline this employee. Perhaps take away his operation or give him a 1 day suspension. Now this should only be done if he actually turned this paper in and or filed and informed his full time supervisor that the paperwork was complete.

Also, I notice you stated the paperwork was in plain view...I find it hard that a supervisor would leave paperwork around with forged signatures. Are you sure it was in "plain view"? I just hope it was because I have seen employees disciplined for looking through paperwork left on a desk or table or station by a supervisor.

1. A sup who falsifies documents to make himself look better wont get disciplined for it...he will get promoted for it.

2. Assuming that this sup were to get caught...why should he only get a one day suspension when an hourly who did the same thing would be terminated?

3. As far as sups leaving paperwork lying around...I have had to confront PT sups for leaving warning letters sitting in plain sight on a desk or in the office in plain view of everyone. These letters have the employees name, address and phone # as well as confidential disciplinary information that is nobody elses business.

KidUPS

1. A sup who falsifies documents to make himself look better wont get disciplined for it...he will get promoted for it.

2. Assuming that this sup were to get caught...why should he only get a one day suspension when an hourly who did the same thing would be terminated?

3. As far as sups leaving paperwork lying around...I have had to confront PT sups for leaving warning letters sitting in plain sight on a desk or in the office in plain view of everyone. These letters have the employees name, address and phone # as well as confidential disciplinary information that is nobody elses business.

1. What good is falsifying documents if the documents won't have any merit come time to properly serve documentation or prove a person was properly trained safety and production wise. Pointless. In my chain of command, integrity holds true over numbers always. Always.

2. I have had hourly employees steal time, falsify invoices, lie flat out about being somewhere when they are really elsewhere, alter timecards etc, etc, etc. Some, doing numerous of these things over the course of their career. And do they still work for UPS? Yes. Point blank, people make mistakes right? That is what you would say when you help an employee get their job back after lying to the company? Well, supervisors make mistakes or bad choices too. Should they lose their job over it? In most cases no. But do it more then once and I guarantee you will be turning in your radio and ID without any hope of getting your job back. And a whole lot faster then if you were an hourly. The company forgives, sometimes because it is forced to forgive. When you are in management, the company forgives once, but does not tolerate twice.

3. Okay. Still does not make it hard to believe that a cheater would cheat out in the open. Warning letters "accidentally" left around to send a message happen all the time. Accident or not, I think it is unprofessional of course.