Forget the Murder Hornet ... The Skeeter Is Much More Deadly

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
The Asian giant hornet is thought to kill 50 people a year worldwide, mostly due to allergic reactions or multiple stings.
Killer Hornets.jpg

Mosquito-borne illnesses kill more than 700,000 a year
The insect you should be mindful of is probably buzzing nearby, and it's got a taste for blood -- yours.
"If there are any animals most deserving of fear, it's the mosquitoes," said Lawrence Reeves, assistant research scientist at the University of Florida's Florida Medical Entomology Laboratory.

Mosquitoes are one of the most dangerous animals in the world to humans because of the diseases they transmit, said Reeves, an entomologist whose research focuses on mosquitoes and the pathogens they transmit.

More than 700,000 people die from mosquito-borne illnesses every year, according to the World Health Organization.
While those diseases are fairly rare in the US, the risk isn't zero.
"In the US, I would expect that becoming infected with a mosquito-transmitted virus is about as common as winning the lottery," Reeves said. "That said, there are always lottery winners."
In the US, common mosquito-transmitted diseases include West Nile virus and dog heartworm.
But 2019 saw a significant outbreak of eastern equine encephalitis, or EEE. That mosquito-borne illness infected at least 38 people in the northeast and Midwest and killed 15 of them, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

img-blog-skeeters.jpg

Last edited:

El Correcto

god is dead
View attachment 294410
The insect you should be mindful of is probably buzzing nearby, and it's got a taste for blood -- yours.
"If there are any animals most deserving of fear, it's the mosquitoes," said Lawrence Reeves, assistant research scientist at the University of Florida's Florida Medical Entomology Laboratory.

Mosquitoes are one of the most dangerous animals in the world to humans because of the diseases they transmit, said Reeves, an entomologist whose research focuses on mosquitoes and the pathogens they transmit.

The Asian giant hornet is thought to kill 50 people a year worldwide, mostly due to allergic reactions or multiple stings.
More than 700,000 people die from mosquito-borne illnesses every year, according to the World Health Organization.
"In the US, I would expect that becoming infected with a mosquito-transmitted virus is about as common as winning the lottery," Reeves said. "That said, there are always lottery winners."
In the US, common mosquito-transmitted diseases include West Nile virus and dog heartworm.
But 2019 saw a significant outbreak of eastern equine encephalitis, or EEE. That mosquito-borne illness infected at least 38 people in the northeast and Midwest and killed 15 of them, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
You kind of argued against your point.
We are not in Africa.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
View attachment 295167

img-blog-skeeters.jpg
Ticks and the diseases they carry are becoming really bad also.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Congratulations on your best post on Brown Cafe!

I initially posted, "you really have no life," seeing as how anyone over the age of 13 knows this but thought it might be considered boomer bashing!

At this point I half expect you to start some inane thread declaring water is wet!

Seriously though, Just because you ran across some internet article that teaches you something you didn't know 5 mins before does not mean the rest of society didn't learn it in 9th grade health class!

BTW, what was the highest grade you actually completed in school? I should have started my post with this question. I probably have egg on my face from the 9th grade education crack .

I am sorry if I embarrassed you!

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I initially posted, "you really have no life," seeing as how anyone over the age of 13 knows this but thought it might be considered boomer bashing!

At this point I half expect you to start some inane thread declaring water is wet!

Seriously though, Just because you ran across some internet article that teaches you something you didn't know 5 mins before does not mean the rest of society didn't learn it in 9th grade health class!

BTW, what was the highest grade you actually completed in school? I should have started my post with this question. I probably have egg on my face from the 9th grade education crack .

I am sorry if I embarrassed you!
Wazzup Dude? :punk:

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
BTW, what was the highest grade you actually completed in school?
Graduated from Georgia Tech in Information and Computer Science and a minor in Industrial Systems Engineering.
I took some post-grad courses in Systems Modeling and Simulation Technologies.
I retired from UPS in 2013 after 40 years ...
10 years in Operations, 10 in Industrial Engineering and the last 20 in Corporate Information Systems.
That should give you some fodder to slam me.