Found a dying Teamster after work today (7/29/2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XavierPA

Myself and three fellow TCDs were leaving the building. The time is approximately 7:25pm. As we were walking out of the building towards the parking lot we were having some friendly small talk when we noticed a guy lying in the grass. I muttered, "Is he ok?" because he was lying flat on his back, one arm stretched out to his side and one arm bent towards his face but not moving. All of us stopped walking and two of the others went in closer to check on him.

He was cold to the touch and stiff. His mouth was open and there was visible food particles filling it. His eyes were open and rolled back. His chest wasn't moving.

I immediately called 911 while one of the others ran back to the building to alert someone. I'm trying to remain calm while talking to the 911 dispatcher, which was unsurprisingly difficult to do when you've stumbled across another human being who appears to be dead, and give them accurate information as to who, what, and where.

Then a supervisor wandered slowly over and said something along the lines of, "Oh, he's been out there for a while, he got sent home sick. His parents were supposed to pick him up." The four of us started grilling the supervisor for more information, come to find out he had been sent home around 4 or 5pm and was last seen around 6:30pm lying in the same position he was now. It was "radioed in," but nothing more.

A member of the safety team comes running to the man and begins CPR. The mans sister, who also works here, came out shortly after and became hysterical a the sight on her unresponsive brother. She was ushered back inside by management. There is now a crowd of people leaving work gathering. I hear sirens.

The first police officer arrives at approximately 7:35pm. Our employee parking lot is located off of a perpendicular street and I tried to be clear to the dispatcher of this scenario. The officer grabs a bag from his car and rushes to the man. A second officer arrives and also goes to the man. A few minutes later the first EMS team shows up and immediately begin work. Shortly after that the ambulance arrives.

Discussions begin about who he is and how long he as been out here and why. Accusations from management fly that he was on heroin. Those of us within earshot of that chased management off. Regardless of what led this man to being passed out in grass on company property is no excuse to let another human being possibly die. Alone, outside of work, to make it worse.

After working on the man for about 15 minutes the responders pulled out a white sheet but just used it to obscure what they were doing. He was intubated and appeared to have been given a shot of adrenaline. Shortly after they loaded him onto a stretcher and into the ambulance. I don't know for sure that he was dead but based on what I witnessed and heard, even if they managed to get a pulse going he would be brain dead. I hope not but I can't help but be realistic.

The fact that an unknown number of people had to walk right past this man to get to their car to leave and no one until my co-workers and I thought to even check on him? He was dressed like someone who worked inside, loading or unloading trucks. It was hot and humid and they work those guys like dogs. Anyone with any semblance of a heart should see a person lying in the grass and think, hmm, maybe I should make sure he's OK, give him some water or something. But no, this man was left lying for hours.

Just had to get this off of my chest. I'm supposed to work tomorrow but I... don't even know. I sure can't sleep.

Returntosender

Management saying he uses heroin. They don't know a cause of death test will be done by coroner/medical examiner. Nothing shows up false statements on Police report will come back to haunt them.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Myself and three fellow TCDs were leaving the building. The time is approximately 7:25pm. As we were walking out of the building towards the parking lot we were having some friendly small talk when we noticed a guy lying in the grass. I muttered, "Is he ok?" because he was lying flat on his back, one arm stretched out to his side and one arm bent towards his face but not moving. All of us stopped walking and two of the others went in closer to check on him.

He was cold to the touch and stiff. His mouth was open and there was visible food particles filling it. His eyes were open and rolled back. His chest wasn't moving.

I immediately called 911 while one of the others ran back to the building to alert someone. I'm trying to remain calm while talking to the 911 dispatcher, which was unsurprisingly difficult to do when you've stumbled across another human being who appears to be dead, and give them accurate information as to who, what, and where.

Then a supervisor wandered slowly over and said something along the lines of, "Oh, he's been out there for a while, he got sent home sick. His parents were supposed to pick him up." The four of us started grilling the supervisor for more information, come to find out he had been sent home around 4 or 5pm and was last seen around 6:30pm lying in the same position he was now. It was "radioed in," but nothing more.

A member of the safety team comes running to the man and begins CPR. The mans sister, who also works here, came out shortly after and became hysterical a the sight on her unresponsive brother. She was ushered back inside by management. There is now a crowd of people leaving work gathering. I hear sirens.

The first police officer arrives at approximately 7:35pm. Our employee parking lot is located off of a perpendicular street and I tried to be clear to the dispatcher of this scenario. The officer grabs a bag from his car and rushes to the man. A second officer arrives and also goes to the man. A few minutes later the first EMS team shows up and immediately begin work. Shortly after that the ambulance arrives.

Discussions begin about who he is and how long he as been out here and why. Accusations from management fly that he was on heroin. Those of us within earshot of that chased management off. Regardless of what led this man to being passed out in grass on company property is no excuse to let another human being possibly die. Alone, outside of work, to make it worse.

After working on the man for about 15 minutes the responders pulled out a white sheet but just used it to obscure what they were doing. He was intubated and appeared to have been given a shot of adrenaline. Shortly after they loaded him onto a stretcher and into the ambulance. I don't know for sure that he was dead but based on what I witnessed and heard, even if they managed to get a pulse going he would be brain dead. I hope not but I can't help but be realistic.

The fact that an unknown number of people had to walk right past this man to get to their car to leave and no one until my co-workers and I thought to even check on him? He was dressed like someone who worked inside, loading or unloading trucks. It was hot and humid and they work those guys like dogs. Anyone with any semblance of a heart should see a person lying in the grass and think, hmm, maybe I should make sure he's OK, give him some water or something. But no, this man was left lying for hours.

Just had to get this off of my chest. I'm supposed to work tomorrow but I... don't even know. I sure can't sleep.
So the guy possibly was under the influence of opiates based on what you said management told you?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It doesn't matter how the guy got there. What matters is that there was no one there helping him.
No one knows how many, if anyone, left the building and walked past and saw him lying there prior to the OP finding him. All the OP knows is the sup told him the kid was sent home a couple of hours before and was waiting in the parking lot for a ride.

Ms.PacMan

No one who saw a young guy laying in the grass that had a reason to be there (waiting for a ride) would think that he might be dead.

And any suspicions from anyone should be relayed to the EMT - true or not, because it helps them assess the patient at that point and administer medications.

He probably choked on his own vomit while he was unconscious.

XavierPA

sad news.

can you post a link from the news or paper when you can?

Keep us updated
Heard from a co-worker he did indeed pass. Haven't seen any stories on the local sites about it yet, though.

So the guy possibly was under the influence of opiates based on what you said management told you?
According to what one of the PT Twi sups was trying to tell the police.

No one knows how many, if anyone, left the building and walked past and saw him lying there prior to the OP finding him. All the OP knows is the sup told him the kid was sent home a couple of hours before and was waiting in the parking lot for a ride.

It doesn't matter how the guy got there. What matters is that there was no one there helping him.
This. This is the part I'm struggling with the most. Dozens of people had to walk right past him to get to their cars.

No one who saw a young guy laying in the grass that had a reason to be there (waiting for a ride) would think that he might be dead.

And any suspicions from anyone should be relayed to the EMT - true or not, because it helps them assess the patient at that point and administer medications.

He probably choked on his own vomit while he was unconscious.
You wouldn't question the appearance of someone lying in the grass, sprawled out, mouth wide open, eyes wide open, and not moving at all. There is a pretty lenghty walk from the building to the parking lot and this man was laying in plain view just a few feet off of the walk path.

Without a verifiable link to a news story, it just sounds like a "story".

How about it OP.... ?
As I said above, I haven't seen any news stories about it yet. I've been checking to maybe find out some more information on what exactly happened to him myself.

Would he really type that much out if it wasn't true? OP must have wayyyy too much time on his hands if he did.
And be quite so detailed? I wish it were just a story, maybe I could've slept last night.

Again, I couldn't care less if you believe it, just wanted to get it off of my chest. I live alone, and thanks to UPS, I don't have much of a social life or personal support network.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Call the local paper and report this story. I'm sure they will report it. Also, does the local police report their blotter? We would like to see it.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
As I said above, I haven't seen any news stories about it yet. I've been checking to maybe find out some more information on what exactly happened to him myself.

Anything verifying the story helps.

New members with very few posts, are subject to scrutiny with a post like this.

BTW, it was a good post as far as proper spelling and using paragraphs. ;)

It was almost too good.... for such an unfortunate situation.

-Bug-

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Anything verifying the story helps.

New members with very few posts, are subject to scrutiny with a post like this.

BTW, it was a good post as far as proper spelling and using paragraphs. ;)

It was almost too good.... for such an unfortunate situation.

-Bug-
googling it does not come up with anything. it may have happened in PA going by posters name.

BTW. googling it comes up with a lot of interesting stories about people being found dead in workplace or parking lot.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Such a shame a young person is dead. Assuming it was an OD, which sounds like a possibility.....I hope this serves a wakeup call for our union brothers and sisters struggling with substance abuse/addiction. Get help before it's too late....our insurance will pay for it.

Feeder16

I heared almost an identical story as the op posted at 3am sat morning from another driver. I was probably 100 or so miles from this facility it happened at. Nothing in the lancaster paper yet.

jaker

trolling
Just because someone dies doesn't mean it will be in the news

Remember the guy said a sup said he was on drugs, so when the cops or anybody talks to that sup it will just be some guy OD and was found meaning no story to report

To find info you will need his name and you can't post that on this site

Status
Not open for further replies.