Found this Tier 3 on Reddit

JL 0513

that's why they call safe driving awards safe lying...
I had 5-6 "accidents" in my career. all but one in the yard . all extremely minor which I self reported.

Most drivers said I was stupid for reporting them. that was an eye opener.
I always find it interesting that all the package cars in the lineup have damage everywhere yet so few "accidents" are reported.

We have a few 30+ year safe drivers in my center. Anyone think they've never had a minor mishap? :lol:

Integrity

Binge Poster
I don’t think you understand what “unavoidable” means.
As far as UPS goes no, my perspective however effective for me, has brought varying degrees of harassment and retaliation over the years.

Even asking for Shop Steward representation for injury and accident investigation reports has not been well received by management or even some of my peers.

It has worked for me however.

I challenge anyone to avoid something that has already happened. You will need a time machine.

A “good faith” discussion about how to possibly avoid the same or similar accident or injury in the future would be welcome but you can’t get that kind of discussion from safety committee members let alone management.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
As far as UPS goes no, my perspective however effective for me, has brought varying degrees of harassment and retaliation over the years.

Even asking for Shop Steward representation for injury and accident investigation reports has not been well received by management or even some of my peers.

It has worked for me however.

I challenge anyone to avoid something that has already happened. You will need a time machine.

A “good faith” discussion about how to possibly avoid the same or similar accident or injury in the future would be welcome but you can’t get that kind of discussion from safety committee members let alone management.
Hey, if that works for whatever knuckle-dragging management you’ve dealt with, that’s great. But not avoided is not the same as unavoidable.

iowa boy

Driver failed to clear the intersection and failed to expect the unexpected. Also, had to tow package car and other vehicle, so Tier 3 accident. In UPSs' mind this was completely avoidable.

Hopefully they deemed it unavoidable otherwise the driver is sitting home right now waiting for hearing because someone else wasn't paying attention. Which is absolutely pathetic in my mind.

Re-Raise

Driver failed to clear the intersection and failed to expect the unexpected. Also, had to tow package car and other vehicle, so Tier 3 accident. In UPSs' mind this was completely avoidable.

Hopefully they deemed it unavoidable otherwise the driver is sitting home right now waiting for hearing because someone else wasn't paying attention. Which is absolutely pathetic in my mind.
Agreed. They will claim any intersection accident as ”avoidable” and the driver will be fired .. at least for a while.

We had a 20+yr driver charged with an accident when a drunk driver turned in front of him pulling a trailer on a highway...because they said our driver should have honked and flashed his headlights at the drunk guy before he turned.

I was a Circle of Honor driver, but one of the things I hated the most about UPS management was that in the case of an accident, every single person on the scene would say our driver did nothing wrong..except them.

AKCoverMan

There's not one driver in here that could've avoided that situation going at those speeds. Especially if you have the grern. Even if he would've saw him and tried to hit the brakes, it then probably would've been a front end collision, instead of the rear. Clearing the intersection only works for a car that is stopped but is about to pull out in traffic. It doesn't work for two vehicles going at those speeds these two appeared to be going.
And if UPSer goes slower he will be called in to office and hassled about over allowed! 🙄

AKCoverMan

I had 5-6 "accidents" in my career. all but one in the yard . all extremely minor which I self reported.
Did management count all those minor dings you reported as auto crashes or did they did they sweep them under the DVIR log. “Psgr side mirror cracked, need replace.”

Hot Carl

They’ll say he didn’t clear the intersection
Correct. They will say the driver failed to look left-right-left/have escape route/expect the unexpected. We had a driver get hit by a red light runner last year too. Same story. Tier 3, removed from service. Nowhere near as ugly as the crash in this video, thankfully. Glad to hear the driver is alright.

But yes, they will crawl over broken glass to pin any accident on the driver, whether or not it was actually the driver’s fault. I had a lady last week blow straight through a stop sign right in front of me while I had the RoW. Never even looked. That would have no doubt been classified as avoidable, but luckily for the both of us, I was actually paying attention.

But as others here have said, we also have trucks with tailgates bent to :censored2: with yellow paint on them, deep gouges in the front bumpers and on the sides. It’s gonna happen at some point with so many trucks parked within 5 inches of both each other and the side of the building, but it happens on route too. Don’t see any of those trucks parked out in the mechanic’s bay. Awful lot of getting away with stuff going on out there.

So why does nobody want to ‘fess up?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Correct. They will say the driver failed to look left-right-left/have escape route/expect the unexpected. We had a driver get hit by a red light runner last year too. Same story. Tier 3, removed from service. Nowhere near as ugly as the crash in this video, thankfully. Glad to hear the driver is alright.

But yes, they will crawl over broken glass to pin any accident on the driver, whether or not it was actually the driver’s fault. I had a lady last week blow straight through a stop sign right in front of me while I had the RoW. Never even looked. That would have no doubt been classified as avoidable, but luckily for the both of us, I was actually paying attention.

But as others here have said, we also have trucks with tailgates bent to * with yellow paint on them, deep gouges in the front bumpers and on the sides. It’s gonna happen at some point with so many trucks parked within 5 inches of both each other and the side of the building, but it happens on route too. Don’t see any of those trucks parked out in the mechanic’s bay. Awful lot of getting away with stuff going on out there.

So why does nobody want to ‘fess up?

Best policy is
Admit to nothing

Spanky250

I always find it interesting that all the package cars in the lineup have damage everywhere yet so few "accidents" are reported.

We have a few 30+ year safe drivers in my center. Anyone think they've never had a minor mishap? :lol:

It's pathetic at how beat up our trucks are from reload parking them, yet no one ever gets in trouble. And :censored2: doesn't get fixed either. My truck has had a broken side window and missing front bumper half for 6 months now, and despite writing them up multiple times they still aren't fixed. I just get "parts on order, ok for service" lol.

If I broke my window or smashed my bumper I'd get fired. But no one in the building ever gets in trouble for damaging the trucks.

JL 0513

Wonder if Liberty Mutual knows that UPS always claims fault on behalf of its drivers? They might be upset they've falsely paid out hundreds of millions of dollars for all of our accidents which were blamed on the driver back at the center. Even though on the street they said it was the other driver's fault.

Spanky250

That's not how it works. Internally saying the driver could have avoided the accident is not the same as admitting legal culpability for the accident.

Scuderia

Why is every ups video “this is why your package is late”? It’s not late, you want it by 10:30AM next day? Pay the friend*ing premium! Ppl have this cartoonish image of what we do in their pea brains.