Four day work week

Found out today that my express route would become a four day route working ten hours a day with Monday being my off day. My offer letter I signed last year stated that my route was a Monday thru Friday route. I prefer a Five day work week which enables me to get some overtime. Do I have any recourse on this decision a or am I just have to deal with it

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Found out today that my express route would become a four day route working ten hours a day with Monday being my off day. My offer letter I signed last year stated that my route was a Monday thru Friday route. I prefer a Five day work week which enables me to get some overtime. Do I have any recourse on this decision a or am I just have to deal with it
You have to deal with it until you can bid off of it.

optikz

They are doing this at our station as well. Drivers who routinely get over 8 hours and closer to 10, are becoming 4x10s to eliminate OT

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
They are doing this at our station as well. Drivers who routinely get over 8 hours and closer to 10, are becoming 4x10s to eliminate OT
Yeah, until the wheel driver calls in sick on Monday and the managers are placing a frantic phone call to the 4X10 driver to come in and work on his (or her) day off for solid overtime.

optikz

Yeah, until the wheel driver calls in sick on Monday and the managers are placing a frantic phone call to the 4X10 driver to come in and work on his (or her) day off for solid overtime.
This is what the swing driver is for. They have hired extra swings for this here

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
This is what the swing driver is for. They have hired extra swings for this here
We'll see how many of them last. Most of them won't receive training for the 4X10 routes and will be overwhelmed then quit to go elsewhere.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Yeah same thing here lately. All depends on the management team in place. Some more flexible then others. But more often than not it's "operational needs, deal with it"

I should have been more clear earlier. If it's a Mon - Fri 5 X 8 route and it's changed to a 4 X 10 with any of those 5 days off, the courier may be out of luck. If it's a Mon - Fri 5 X 8 route and it's changed to either a 4 X 10 that includes a Saturday or a 5 X 8 that includes a Saturday, then the courier has the option of bumping.

outtatime

I currently am a 4x10 and am hoping to never lose it. I was 5x8 before and I much prefer my 3-day weekends.
Especially if you're off on the cluster friend that is Mondays. Cut routes, T-SA people off, belts jammed full before the sort even starts, re-attempt all business that were closed that morning because you left the building at 715 and no one is open at that early hour....

SmithBarney

They tried the 4x10 thing here, it just didn't work I can't remember the specifics, but it was switched back after several months.

Also if you are 4x10, when peak comes around they will try and make you switch back to 5x8 so they can save on OT. Either stay home on Mondays, or work for pure OT.

!Retired!

We've had this happen at my station quite a few times. With the exception of 1, they all went back to 5x8. 4x10 isn't bad if you work the sort, do FO or get put on docs. 4x10 IS bad if they add a PM or if you're a later start. As for recourse, you can try saying something about the offer letter. But, it's unlikely you'll get anywhere. If it's a straight 4x10, pure delivery route, give it a shot. You just might start liking the Mondays off. Then, as soon as you start getting used to it, it'll go back to 5x8...lol.
I'd love to have a 4x10 route. I'd take a 3 day weekend any time!
While I didn't have the seniority to get Monday off, I was off on Wednesdays, when I had my 4x10. I loved it. It was a welcome break. Also, there were MANY times my phone rang early in the morning. If I felt like having some OT, I answered it. If I not, let it go to voicemail.
don't answer my ph on thurs. simple solution
:)

Thanks for all your help. Went home last night and figured up what I would draw monthly retirement wise. Found out I could make enough with with both my fedex and military retirement that I could go ahead and retire from express now. Insurance will be covered with my military time. Social security will also kick in two years. Maybe if I get bored you may see me as a greeter at my local walmart

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Isnt overtime computed over eight not over 40