Four Wheel Drive UPS trucks?

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Ive been all over the place at various times of my life and Ive personally driven almost evrything UPS has had to offer, with trucks made as far back as in 1974. There is one thing I wonder about though. Does UPS have 4WD trucks for you guys out in the mountains for the mud and snow? Weve got a couple of rurual mountain routes im my building and Ive driven all but a handfull, but none of them are 4WD. These are even routes that are over and through running creeks, and up and down dirt mountain roads. Just curious.

drewed

Shankman
Up here we have a couple f350 based 4x4s instead of a bed they have a box on the back, sorry i dont know what the classification for it would be

wadep

None here in the great white north. Could use them to burrow our way through 6 feet of snow 7 months a year. But that would make things just to damn effiient.

ol'browneye

I used to get the pleasure of driving an old 1968 P600 with the narrow wooden shelves. I just loved those wood splinters up under the finger nails!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I went deer hunting over in Montana once, way out in the middle of nowhere, and talked to the UPS guy who delivers there. He was in a P-32 but he told me that, starting in mid-November, they take the 32 away and rent him a 4x4 Suburban with the seats taken out and a white vinyl "UPS" sticker on the side.

Blueskin75

We have two 4x4's in Fairbanks, converted Ford 350's. They are great and can go pretty much everywhere there is a house/residential out in the hills of Interior AK. Been off the road plenty of times, but nothing 4-Low can't handle. :) Never needed chains. Drewed is right, instead of a bed, there is box in back where you can stand in, with shelves that wrap around the inside. There is a sliding door on the side for easy access. Will try to get a pic.

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
Up here we have a couple friend 350 based 4x4s instead of a bed they have a box on the back, sorry i don't know what the classification for it would be

If I'm not mistaken, it's classification is a P300. I have seen 3 or 4 of these trucks come through my hub before going out to Maine and Vermont.

rod

Retired 22 years
Why would you need 4 wheel drive? I thought the flavor of the day is to walk everything in :peaceful: Maybe a pair of brown snow shoes is in order

raceanoncr

In feeders, mountains used to have 4x4 tractors. Don't know if they still do. Odd looking pieces o chit, to say the least.

over9five

Staff member
If I'm not mistaken, it's classification is a P300. I have seen 3 or 4 of these trucks come through my hub before going out to Maine and Vermont.

I saw those too. I was going to get a pic, but they were gone the next day. F350 Super Dutys with a small sliding door on the side. Didn't get close enough to see if they were 4X4.

over9five

Staff member
Why would you need 4 wheel drive? I thought the flavor of the day is to walk everything in :peaceful: Maybe a pair of brown snow shoes is in order

That would be funny. You'd also need a brown backpack for your lunch you'd be walking so far!!!

trickpony1

Is the .35 on top of the extra we already get for doubles?

yes.
Triples or overwieght double 45's pay .80 over singles pay and .35 over doubles.

The ironic part of long combinations is the company says we are going broke and about to go belly up but I CHALLENGE ANYONE TO GIVE ME THE NAME AND PHONE NUMBER OF ANY TRUCKING COMPANY that will hook up to, let alone pull, a trailer for .35 an hour.

Let's see....... labor cost to move a third 28 ft trailer or a second overwieght 45 ft trailer for 10 hours (2 feeder legs) is $3.50

Yup....we're going broke.

UPSNewbie

yes.
Triples or overwieght double 45's pay .80 over singles pay and .35 over doubles.

The ironic part of long combinations is the company says we are going broke and about to go belly up but I CHALLENGE ANYONE TO GIVE ME THE NAME AND PHONE NUMBER OF ANY TRUCKING COMPANY that will hook up to, let alone pull, a trailer for .35 an hour.

Let's see....... labor cost to move a third 28 ft trailer or a second overwieght 45 ft trailer for 10 hours (2 feeder legs) is $3.50

You're wrong... That $3.50 is actually VERY expensive. :funny:

yes.

Talk to the union, look at your total compensation. You're making maybe $50 an hour where an other company maybe paying only $30 an hour in total compensation.

Tiny Panda

Not sure about 4x4 but you can now get your pizza from across the country

motorcycle.jpg