Fourth truck

whome

So was told today that for peak i'll have a fourth truck.The thing is the pt sup said that all im doing for the fourth truck is throw packages in a bag.anybody heard of this? easy? hard?any info would be great.

curiousbrain

So was told today that for peak i'll have a fourth truck.The thing is the pt sup said that all im doing for the fourth truck is throw packages in a bag.anybody heard of this? easy? hard?any info would be great.

I'm guessing without more details, but my initial thoughts are:

1) You will be bagging a ton of smalls into "forever" bags.

2) You will be scanning/bagging SurePost.

UPSGUY72

I thought you were a driver? You sound like a manager.

Apparently you need a reality check.

The OP can work as directed or go find another job.... They are giving him another car to load no where in the contract is there a limit on how many cars a pre-loader can load.

stink219

I thought you were a driver? You sound like a manager.

The OP can work as directed or go find another job.... They are giving him another car to load no where in the contract is there a limit on how many cars a pre-loader can load.
You never answered my question. Just because he has to do it doesn't mean he has to do it. If they gave him every car to load, does that mean he will perform that function to completion and if not to find another career choice? I don't think so. He just has to work. Your comment,"Or find another job" is ridiculous. So, are you a driver or in management? Simple question.

Buck Fifty

Easy Bro, seems you may have had a rough morning. OP never said he wasn't gonna do it, never came off he was unhappy about doing it, he just wanted to know what may be involved. Brownbaggin seems to be on the right track. I'll have to say the way you went after stink here, makes you come off as management.

UPSGUY72

You never answered my question. Just because he has to do it doesn't mean he has to do it. If they gave him every car to load, does that mean he will perform that function to completion and if not to find another career choice? I don't think so. He just has to work. Your comment,"Or find another job" is ridiculous. So, are you a driver or in management? Simple question.

Driver. You work as directed and grieve later. However he has nothing to grieve unless you can find the part of the contract that limits the amount of car that pre-loader is limited to loading.. He can suck it up for a couple of weeks or find another job...

Buck Fifty

I'm guessing without more details, but my initial thoughts are:

1) You will be bagging a ton of smalls into "forever" bags.

2) You will be scanning/bagging SurePost.

We have a winner..... (although my guess is that the fourth truck won't be that simple, just a feeling !)

stink219

Are you even reading the persons post? Your interjecting things that have nothing to do with his questions. Then you tell him to do it or else. What's up with you? The kid asked what to expect. Tell him or if you don't know then mind you business. I can't believe your a driver. I'll get you a tie for Christmas after that response.

UPSGUY72

Are you even reading the persons post? Your interjecting things that have nothing to do with his questions. Then you tell him to do it or else. What's up with you? The kid asked what to expect. Tell him or if you don't know then mind you business. I can't believe your a driver. I'll get you a tie for Christmas after that response.

I just state that it's only a couple of weeks so suck it up.... Of course it's going to be harder it's another car to load. If he has to put things in bags it;s going to be harder...

UPSGUY72

Easy Bro, seems you may have had a rough morning. OP never said he wasn't gonna do it, never came off he was unhappy about doing it, he just wanted to know what may be involved. Brownbaggin seems to be on the right track. I'll have to say the way you went after stink here, makes you come off as management.

Not not manage just a person that knows reality...

stink219

I just state that it's only a couple of weeks so suck it up.... Of course it's going to be harder it's another car to load. If he has to put things in bags it;s going to be harder...
That's all you had to tell the kid.

rod

Retired 22 years

And if you do real good at doing your 4th truck I'm sure they can find a fifth one for you.

konsole

The answer isnt simply that 4 trucks is too much. The total number of packages, their size and weight, where you are on the belt, the length of the shift and probably even more factors all matter. For the average package size somewhere around 200 an hour is about the maximum that anyone should be doing, and 175 an hour is ideal. If you load an unusually high number of smalls then you can do a little more. To determine what a preloader is able to safely load, the total effort required to get the packages to where they are suppose to go on the truck should be the focus. Ideally what should go into this calculation is the size and weight, so instead of counting number of total pieces, the calculation should be the total size and weight of the packages. Obviously there should be a hard limit if all a preloader loads is smalls, but you get the idea. Customers have to enter this information into the form when printing a shipping label, but for some reason this information isnt closely monitored. Other factors that should be considered are things like does the preloader have to step up into a 24 footer or one of the other trucks that you have to step up into, is it a hot stuffy time of the year or are temperatures and humidity ideal for physical activity. I know most of these factors will never be considered when determining what a preloader is capable of doing, but they do matter and they should be considered.

For the OP the best answer I can give is try doing the 4 trucks. Work at a reasonable pace but stay under control and work safe. If you find that you are not able to keep up with the work then bring it up with your steward. If your steward agrees that the work is too much to safely do, then he/she should be having a talk with management to get your work load reduced. I have the benefit of a good steward in my building that will stand up for their fellow teamsters. Maybe you don't have a good steward that seems to care less about your safety. If thats the case then I would contact the local teamsters office and tell them that your steward is not supporting their teamsters.

ymelord

Don't even worry about it, do what you can "safely", if you get behind stack'em, not your problem