Fred S, the master of bs.

MechLift

Google drones delivering light weight medical supplies to remote regions in Australia somehow got people thinking that warehouse-to-door air delivery of the BowFlex boxes I lug to third story apartments is just around the corner.

MAKAVELI

FedEx founder, chairman and CEO Fred S is pretty confident that robotics, automation and perhaps drones will play an increasingly large role in the FedEx of the future.

It’s a future that, for example, he thinks will see more factories with a decreasing number of human workers in them as well as the transport of packages and other goods in automated cars and trucks on the road

He mentioned the possibility of more automated package-delivery trucks on the road within 10 years, something he described as “a good thing” because of the assumption they’ll drive slower and make fewer mistakes as a result of human error.

"The policies and tax system the U.S. has pursued for a long time have created a situation where we’re producing just enough jobs to (compensate) for our population growth,” he said. “Under-investment has been a major driver of our slower job growth in the last few decades.”

When publications interview Smith, for example, he has been known to ask that they not put his image on the cover but rather a shot of FedEx employees.

These are some excerpts from the interview. Now am I the only one who sees the bs and contradictory statements from this man?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
He mentioned the possibility of more automated package-delivery trucks on the road within 10 years, something he described as “a good thing” because of the assumption they’ll drive slower and make fewer mistakes as a result of human error.

Well I wouldn't bet the ranch on that. The last thing Smith ever wanted is slow drivers.

This will be another chapter in Fred's follies because he'll demand speed over accuracy any day.

MAKAVELI

Well I wouldn't bet the ranch on that. The last thing Smith ever wanted is slow drivers.

This will be another chapter in Fred's follies because he'll demand speed over accuracy any day.
Ah but safety is of course the #1 priority.;)

It will be fine

He'll probably get much faster and safer results from automated big rigs pulling Ground and Freight trailers OTR. That is likely what he is talking about. Too many variables to local delivery for current tech. It's reasonable that we can program trucks to drive straight down highways and drop trailers for the local human drivers to take the last bit. Automation will play an increasing role in every industry.
Drones could make sense in extreme rural areas, but probably pretty limited in scope.

MAKAVELI

He'll probably get much faster and safer results from automated big rigs pulling Ground and Freight trailers OTR. That is likely what he is talking about. Too many variables to local delivery for current tech. It's reasonable that we can program trucks to drive straight down highways and drop trailers for the local human drivers to take the last bit. Automation will play an increasing role in every industry.
Drones could make sense in extreme rural areas, but probably pretty limited in scope.
What's all this talk of drones, and automation? Don't you know FedEx is a people first company?

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
FedEx founder, chairman and CEO Fred S is pretty confident that robotics, automation and perhaps drones will play an increasingly large role in the FedEx of the future.

Well just based upon my observations of the more recent crop of newhires I've seen, I'd have to surmise that the 'future' of drones at FedEx is already here.

CJinx

I'm not sure that we'll see any "last step" delivery automation in the near future (like in I, Robot), but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw cargo planes operated by remote control or AI within the next decade. We might even have them now if "auto landing" was perfected and the FAA gets off their ass and regulates it.

There are also a number of advanced technology that will automate dock operations in the pipeline, but they're all proprietary. :cold:

STFXG

Aircraft already fly thenselves. There's a reason they consider airline pilots systems operators now rather than pilots. There are plenty of automated systems out there that are capable of controlling the aircraft. Fred wants automation so that he can completely empty the cockpit which will give more area in the aircraft to load cargo.

The FAA won't approve the technology for commercial flights because of the liability involved. The military already does this with large aircraft and bombers.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
The US Navy has already demonstrated that it can safely land drone aircraft on pitching carrier decks. To land a pilotless aircraft on a rock-steady 10,000 ft runway shouldn't be too difficult.