Fred S, the master of bs.

vantexan

To get a more clear picture of the point you are trying to make one would need to know the cost basis for the shares in question. Many of these shares were most likely awarded as part of their compensation package. Why shouldn't they sell when the time is right to do so?
And they are awarded stock options as an incentive to do whatever is necessary in a given timeframe to increase profits. That includes paying as little as possible to employees. Their biggest expense after payroll is fuel. They're saving huge sums right now on fuel costs. Think at the very least they could kick some of that the employees' way, if not in better raises then in profit sharing checks.

MAKAVELI

To get a more clear picture of the point you are trying to make one would need to know the cost basis for the shares in question. Many of these shares were most likely awarded as part of their compensation package. Why shouldn't they sell when the time is right to do so?
I don't have a problem with their stock options, per say. I do have a problem when Fred S can cash more than $30 million in stock and then give 2% raises and reduced benefits. It's just another slap in the face to his frontline workers.

vantexan

I don't have a problem with their stock options, per say. I do have a problem when Fred S can cash more than $30 million in stock and then give 2% raises and reduced benefits. It's just another slap in the face to his frontline workers.
The money from the stock comes from the stock market, not from the company. The stock options are used as an incentive to do whatever they can in the short term to increase the stock price, thus benefitting all stock holders and rewarding them with a nice pile of money for doing so. So when you see austerity measures and minimal raises it's the exec's working to increase profits, pay bigger dividends, attract Wall Street, and cash in. Their interest in us is only the bare minimum they can pay that will make us stay on. It's against THEIR personal interests to do better by us. In their view if we want better then we need to go into management and work our way up. This is dog-eat-dog capitalism. And they can argue that it's necessary in order to fund those 401k's that everyone is relying on for retirement. That they cash in doing it is just a very happy circumstance for them.